Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Hellfire Missile and Laser Designation  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Max_Power

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Hellfire Missile and Laser Designation
« on: 16 Jul 2005, 07:19:27 »
In real life, the hellfire missile suite has a few different options for target aquisition and flight path to target.  Now, I realise that due to the relative power of helecopters in the game and the limited reasonable visibility distance, that giving the hellfire it's realistic 7 km long, 2km high flight path may not be wise or even necessary (the implications of this and the remote target designation mentioned below would turn the hellfire into a wonder weapon of game breaking proportions).  I've been wracking my brain with ways to expand the use of the laser designator (and/or the Kiowa Warrior) for team play, and to make helecopter missions a little more realistic.

The hellfire missile in real life can be employed in a number of ways.  The way ofp does sort of emulates the Lock-On Before Launch (LOBL) method.  In this method, the helecopter emits a coded spectre laser beam to the target and allows the hellfire to lock on to the reflected radiation before launch.  The helelcopter launches the missile, and then guides the missile to the target throughout its entire flight path, similar to the way TOW missiles are employed.  This way, the gunner can ensure a positive lock before he expends a missile, reducing the likelihood of a lost or stray ATGM.  The pilot can also choose to launch a missile using an external laser designator, like a forward observer unit or a scout helecopter like the Kiowa Warrior.  Using this method, he simpy points his aircraft at a target (presumably but not necessarily from behind a mask like a hill or something), and the missile climbs to scan for the coded spectre IR reflection.  If it finds it, it locks on and continues to the target.  This method of employment is called Lock On After Launch (LOAL).  There are 3 different kinds of LOAL employment methods, but all of them share the trait that the missile is fired dumb and scans for targets while in a preprogrammed ascent pattern.

My idea was to see if you can script a hellfire missile to lock on to a laser designator target either before or after launch.  I've been trying to use the laser designator target (stock, no scripts) in different scenarios, but I've never really found a use for them.  If you could use the mast site on a Kiowa or a hidden Spec Ops commando with a laser designator on a target, and you could fire hellfires from behind a hill and have them seek targets, you could have a semi realistic/challenging helecopter assault mission.  You could load up an armour column with so much AAA that they could shoot down the moon and, as long as you were meticulous and careful about the way you went about it, you would have a reasonable chance at success, given time and the use of proper tactics (I'm a big fan of the pop up attack, myself).

So, all you scripters and computer geniuses out there, is this possible/reasonable?  I would greatly appreciate feedback in this regard.

Sources:  http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/agm-114.htm

The above link has some neat information on the flight patterns of the Hellfire, as well as its statistics and armour penetration characteristics (which are a little bit underated in OFP, but the choppers are death machines already).

« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2005, 09:39:00 by Max_Power »

AHMzzz

Re:Hellfire Missile and Laser Designation
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2005, 10:52:10 »
Hi there:

I dont know much about scripting so I cant tell you if it can be done. However I dont know why you couldnt use the laser designator. I tried the following scenario:

I'm flying a AH-64 on low altitude, there is a platoon of T72s moving behind a hill (( I cant target them on my own )) and there are some specs ops with lasers hiding neer them. I set them in the editor to traget the t72 so once the see them they use there lasers to target the t72s and once that happen I get a laser target on my AH-64, you wont get a full lock (( Two  squires )) because of the Hill but when you fire the hellfire it will go stright to the target (( obivously it wont hit because of the hill )).

What I am trying to say is that the laser works (( I also tried with an A.I. RAD_F18 v1.3 )). The only thing that need scripting is the missile. It would be cool if some one could script a realistic flight path not only for the hellfire but for the mavrick as well. The real mavrick's flight path depends on the A-10's Altitude it might fly upwards first then head to target or it might go stright to the target, But of course it dosent have such high turn arc like the one in OFP and also trageting with the mavrick in the game is WAY over generous.

Offline Max_Power

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2005, 12:00:47 »
To test the capabilities of the laser, I was flying with a friend of mine against tanks and such with the kiowa warrior and the apache.  We were attacking petrovic on Nogova from a base in the North.  We had the default visual distance of 1 km.  He was hovering in an ah64 at the rocky ridge to the west of the city (by the lake), and I was hiding behind the ridge that marks the boarder between the desert and the grassy fields.  We were both about 1 km away from the town.  I stuck the mast mounted site over the hill and lased a shilka.  I had the laser on the shilka for quite a while, and my friend only found the laser target by 'spamming' the area around the city on the radar.  I was thinking that an encoded IR laser should be more visible than the actual tank.  He didn't get to shoot before the shilka drove all the way up to me and gave me the ol' 4 cannon salute.  Maybe we need more practice, but the LOAL feature would be quite good none-the-less.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2005, 13:59:50 by Max_Power »

AHMzzz

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2005, 11:00:09 »

Mybe you should try it with an A.I. holding the laser first I got the target instantly even though I couldnt see it. It is hard to traget the laser correctly by humans.

Any way come on people anybody up to making a Missile Flight script?????

Offline Max_Power

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2005, 23:13:56 »
As I was using the Kiowa helecopter, the AI gunner was directing the laser.  I haven't actually been the person trying to target the laser, so I don't actually know what it looks like.  My friend is new to ofp, and I have been playing sp mostly until I decided to try and 'spread the word' and make coop scenarios.

Offline TLI

• Members
  • You just THINK I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2005, 23:38:01 »

I get a laser target on my AH-64, [but not] a full lock ( Two  squares ) because of the Hill but when fire the hellfire it will go stright to the target ( obivously it wont hit because of the hill ).

If you fire 30 degrees or so above the target, the missile will arc over the hill, but it tends to miss the target (overshoots it :(), and if you fire straight at a target, the missile usually just hits near it >:(. If you could get the missile to hit the target itself, this would work... I think that would require a script, but I'm not good enough with scripts to write one... Do any experienced scripters out there care enough to write one?

It would be very cool... (although a bit unfair to the armor crews :D)
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2005, 23:40:56 by N »
High explosives are essential.

Kyle Sarnik

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2005, 04:18:40 »

Click the picture...

:-\ If only I could have realized my dream of completing that AH-64 pack...

Offline Max_Power

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2005, 07:35:56 »
Yeah!  And if you could, you should also make the optics zoom a realistic amount.  I have a sneaking suspicion that the zoom on the apache is a little weak.