Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: multi player games  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
Re:multi player games
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jul 2005, 01:45:20 »
Given that the server is going to be inactive for a fair amount of the time, would it not be easier to organise a host depending on who is currently there, ready and willing to play? So for example if at a certain time there are, say, 5 peple active and waiting to play some mission, one person just drops a line on the sticky topic, or in IRC, and says 'OK, MP server up at blah blah IP, we're playing (or testing) such-and-such a mission, join in the next 10 minutes' or something? Of course, it could be a little more organised than that; there could be designated times in the day so that people know when to look for games.

That way it's not one person shouldering the cost for a long time (as would happen if one person supplied a server on an ongoing basis), the cost is spread amongst everyone because different people play and host at different times. Plus it aves on wasted time when there is only one or two people playing, or no one at all.

Just my thoughts

EDIT

> Mission requires restart
From experience, it is possible to drop a mission into the OFP mission directory whilst the program is running, and then find it and play it, all without restarting the game itself. Of course, the same is absolutely not true of addons, so missions using new addons would indeed require a game restart.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2005, 01:49:20 by Fragorl »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Re:multi player games
« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2005, 19:57:28 »
okay then after not going through with this idea i have sat around and not realy thought of it but now i have re thought of it and bumped this topic well not really bumped but whatever
anyways i have tried creating a LAN game in ofp and tried to join in the same game using my IP adress and then i joined in but i dont hink ofp liked the idea of me playing against me with 2 players so it didnt work

but i know my sis has done thins on Medal of Honor so it cant be to much different can it ?

so anyway i just need to test this idea before i can say it works with ofp but when it has been confirmed what do i do now

i was thinking of a sticky topic on the beta testing board wich basically says that multiplayer games can be done if you have a mission for testing get in touch with me and ill tell you from there basically to send me the mission start a topic and ill arange a time it can be played but of course other people can do this idea
since all they need to do is create a LAN game and give the people who wish to play there IP adress so you can now connect to that game

but anyway just thinking if anyone has tried this or anyone will try it for me and tell me if it works and then i can contact an admin i suppose for further details just need a bit of help on does it work ? and what to do after ive found out it does ?

EDIT - After re-reading some of the posts i noticed that Mikero said that
>Server, would it cost

nope. All it needs is anyone on a dsl (cable) connection which automatically implies a 24x7 and reasonable speed.

server wise, the engine aint working too hard, so it can be a background task to whatever the computer normally does. (like umm errr reading emails  )

well okay then but how do i go about creating the server and is it possible only to have it up at a certain time ? so its not wasting all my internet bandwith ?
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2005, 20:52:48 by 456820 »