Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Weapon jamming script  (Read 2582 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Weapon jamming script
« on: 19 Jun 2005, 17:04:47 »
okay i remember seeing someone who wnated this kind of script so i decided to make it well actually i did it becuase im trying to some mission as realistic as possible
okay there is an example mission and you have an M16 wich are not very reliable and jam quite easily so there is more chance of the M16 jamming than some other weapon
just give it a quick test and say what can be improved about it

it is run through an event handler fired checks what weapon is fired and if its an M16 or some other weapon wich is reliable to jam it makes a random choice 2/100 to jam the weapon or not then you are given an action in the action menu to un jam weapon then he plays a few moves and unjams the weapon

Note = What do i put in a script to make the player actually reload instead of just showing the animation ??
plus at the moment this doesnt have any sounds wich is a shame but im looking for voice actors to add to the realism

script and example mission attached to this post
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2005, 17:14:18 by 456820 »

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
Re:Weapon jamming script
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2005, 19:48:01 »
Not bad.  ;)

The only thing wrong that I noticed was 'almost' in 'alomost done' was spelt 'alomst'

As for the animation itself, seems a bit random. It will do, but you could make some new animations for it, to make it look more realistic. Otherwie you could go to the recruitment forum and find someone who can do anims  ;)

Not a bad script though.  8)
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2005, 20:30:43 »
hey thanks for testing ill fix the spelling and thanks for noticing it
about the animation this is in my capaign and its addon free and i would like to keep it that way the reson for the animation was well the mortar reload could appear your poking something down the barrel or something along those lines im not sure why i did the reload but i did i want it to take long because it will take a while its not going to take a few seconds to unclog your weapon if you can suggest any bettr anims that wouldbe good
thanks for testing

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
Zeus ARMA2 server IP = 77.74.193.124 :2302
Teamspeak IP = 77.74.193.123

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
  • Who is da operation flashpoint freak now, freak?!
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2005, 10:05:20 »
Hey I suggest you add a backfire chance since this can happen with weapon jamming. The change of about 1/200 would be nice. The backfire should instantly kill the player or do a lot of damage to the hands, chest and face.
ofp nfs REBORN! All new nitro, neon, customized cars, off-road, on-road, rally, bikes, racer models and more!
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2005, 11:02:21 »
is backfire like alot of extra recoil ?
if so i suppose that can be quite easy just use setdammage but if its strong enough to knock the player of their feet then i suppose i could use setunitpos down

thanks for the idea

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2005, 16:55:35 »
the army uses the acronym SPORTS for what to do when you have a jam
Slap the magazine
Pull the charging handler
Observe the chamber
Release the charging handle
Tap the forward assist
Squeeze the trigger

so you could look for anims that resemble these actions for realism

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2005, 11:09:05 »
An explantion of a backfire (Or Breach explosion)
A normal round of ammunition is made up of 2 main bodies

1) The bullet (which is the damage doing projectile bit)
and the
2) Main body (lets call this the cartridge side) which holds the explosive charge

a backfire occurs when the bullet jams in the barrel or chamber of the weapon

Normally when the cartidge that houses the Bullet explodes, the force projects the bullet out of the barrel to its target

Some of this explosive energy (expansion of gases) is also used to force the working mechanism back, thus reloading the next round

If the round jams, then there is insufficient release points for this explosive gas pressure.
The working parts are still normally forced back, but with too much force and the resulting "Increased" pressure release which occurs is called a backfire or breach explosion

This can injure the weapon firer to some extent

Anything from  a burn mark, to losing a finger or being blinded, dependant on the weapon being fired.

To reduce this from happening, soldiers periodically clean their weapon, oiling the working parts and pulling something through the barrel. The dirtier the working conditions, the more frequent the cleaning

If a misfire or blockage does occur, then they carry out "Blockage" drills, this is specific to the weapon and dependant on the severity  of the blockage.
Could be abything from a simple reload to a full field strip down of the weapon

Most blockages are detected before a soldier would attempt to refire his weapon, infact most blockages on the weapons i have fired stop any additional loading into the breach anyway

As for increased recoil, i couldnt answer that, as i have never suffered a breach explosion, however its doubtful that an increased recoil would be detected by the firer
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2005, 11:14:15 by Terox »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2005, 11:17:39 »
ah i get it now thanks but how could i simulate something like this in the script ?
apart from just setdammage

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2005, 11:24:53 »
i dont think its worth the effort for something that hardly ever occurs, however it would require  a system that used some animations maybe a setpos setdir, a drop command, some sounds for the screaming, setdammage command etc

Kilo11

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2005, 22:49:55 »
The Mi16A1 jamed easily bro, not the M16A4.  Every gun will jam, they dont jam that frequently, if ever.  my friend owns an M16A4, we fired 2,000 rounds and not a signle jam...not once.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2005, 16:14:37 »
thanks for the info
anyway i think this topic's solved
cheers for all the tests on the script and info

topic solved