Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: EULA, why bother?  (Read 1872 times)

Bluelikeu

EULA, why bother?
« on: 18 Jun 2005, 13:59:55 »
Hello all,

I seen people talk about the EULA agreement in the ofpec forums, and it is sort of annoying. Basically, BIS or any other company is not going to care for sh*t(excuse my language) about petty people like us who use their product. So I'm just asking that people stop mentioning this, because it does make people "limit" themselves for something that won't really affect them. Do you really think that BIS is going to care if someone wants to pay $50 to have another person complete an OFP mod? Its basically ridiculous to think that people are paranoid about EULA. However, if your selling the GAME itself, you are screwing with EULA, but as a said before, BIS doesn't care for small things like that, and to deal with it, BIS would need to spend time and money on stopping people from "modding" their game, which is also ridiculous(a bit of a run-on sentence there.)

Ramblings of...
Bluelikeu

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:EULA, why bother?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2005, 14:02:26 »
The reason for the EULA was to stop people from abusing the free programs provided for the community to make game content.

This is off-topic it has nothing to do with a comment about OFPEC and will probably be locked.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Bluelikeu

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2005, 14:04:30 »
This is not off-topic, because i'm asking that people be halted from mentioning this unless it really does not abide by the EULA agreement. It is scaring people from getting things done.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2005, 14:13:26 »
It's very very simple......

If you download Oxygen or Visitor, or any other tool provided free by BIS, you agree that anything you make and release will not be sold, but will be made freely available to the community.

How that is going to scare people away is beyond me.

Planck

Bluelikeu

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2005, 14:25:03 »
Quoted from Chris Death
And for your hiring 4 ca$h stuff i'd suggest to remove this and if you
really want pay somebody for his work than manage this somewhere
in a dark room but not on some forums like BIS or OFPEC.
It's just simply not allowed due to EULA that you make profit with tools
spent by BIS for the comunity for free - may it be the mission editor
or addon creation tools.

You give them really a legal oportunity to sue you down by law by posting
this on forums, where everybody can read about it.

Off course - nobody can do anything if you say later - ok you did me a favour now i do you one - but your way of approach is illegal - even if
it's just about 50$ and not big business.

would this destroy your game plan?

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2005, 14:29:23 »
Nothing CD has said in that thread is any different that my last post.

If someone is offering money to someone else to make game content using free tools from BIS, then the person that uses the tool will be in breach of the EULA, which he agreed to before he downloaded the tool.

If anyone plans to sell addons they have made with the free tools or anyone plans to pay someone for such addons then they are both in breach of the EULA.

Planck

Bluelikeu

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2005, 14:31:57 »
btw, i believe that the EULA agreement you read, applies to the at-ease utility, and not specifically OFP or its expansions.

If someone shows me a specific line from the BIS EULA agreement that specifically says that people cannot give money to others in return for an addon, then I will back-down from my opinion.

EDIT:
Is it illegal to sell the link to your website for $50? The website does not contain any illegal material, and only the add-ons for OFP.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2005, 14:39:33 by Bluelikeu »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2005, 14:47:42 »
You are not really listening to what I said.

If you download Oxygen or Visitor, or any other tool provided free by BIS, you agree that anything you make and release will not be sold, but will be made freely available to the community.

What that means is when you download a free tool you are agreeing to the terms of the EULA.

From the Breathe site concerning Oxygen.....

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The program is licensed by the terms of the licensing agreement displayed first time you run Oxygen.

From the Breathe site concerning the free models.....

You acknowledge and agree that BI Studio is providing you the models free of charge in order to allow you creation of non-commercial game content for Operation Flashpoint only and you agree to not commercially exploit any game content you may create using the models without BI Studio's prior written permission. BI Studio doesn't give you permission to exploit the models in any other way than written in this readme, especially not to convert them for use in any other game or engine than Operation Flashpoint

Planck
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2005, 14:48:29 by Planck »

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2005, 15:12:56 »
Bluelikeu, I suggest you contact BIS if you have anything left unclear about the EULA.

Planck has explained the main spirit well. It's not permitted that someone profits from using BIS created material. This of course includes the material the person has created, with the BIS created material.
Makes perfect sense if you think about it for a minute.

Honoring the BIS EULA and it's spirit, OFPEC wants to enforce all the community created OFP material being free. No recruitment for money, ads, banners ect. are allowed at OFPEC, which even slightly could be in that gray area, which you're so lightly talking about.

I seen people talk about the EULA agreement in the ofpec forums, and it is sort of annoying.
At the moment, you're only increasing the talk about the BIS EULA. ;)

#locked
Not all is lost.