Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: get rid of wind  (Read 1749 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
get rid of wind
« on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:28:44 »
simpley how can i get rid of wind i have a mission where you are a paratrooper but get blown into a load of trees and since its in Kolgujev there evry where
so i need to get rid of the wind speed without changing the weather to a nice day becuase i want a wet and rainy day.
how do i do this or if not possible how can i get around this

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
Re:get rid of wind
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:31:12 »
Erm. No.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:32:21 »
ahhh anyway of getting around it or is no, no?

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:35:46 »
Wind is random in Flashpoint. There have been many discussions about it but at last I heard, there's nowt you can do.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

UNN

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:44:34 »
You could minimize the effects. Setpos in a loop is probably to drastic. Limiting the X & Y velocity of the parachute using a loop, might be the way to go?

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:49:19 »
I just had a look for some threads but wind just gives a myriad of threads with "windows" in them.

Someone might remember more details than me.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jun 2005, 19:21:14 »
well ive had to do something but it looks quite weird but i have put all the chutes at 60m in the air that way the team mates just land cleanly so now i have no more injuries but i would still love to keep the high paradrop
does using setrain or what ever that command work without changing the speed of wind becuase the better the weather the less wind speed

Offline RujiK

• Members
  • KoKo Puh-Fizzles!
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jun 2005, 22:45:40 »
#loop
paraman setvelocity [0,0,-10]
~0.1
?(getpos paraman select 2 > 5):goto"loop"
exit

The > sign may be backwards. Other then that it should work.
I like your approach, lets see your departure.
Download the New Flashlight Script!

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jun 2005, 02:11:04 »
I have a script that will make the parachute land randomly within a specified radius.  It uses my Intercept and my RandPos function.  I will post is as soon as I get home from work.

The other methods suggest will work, but the script I made will also prevent the chute from moving backwards.  It will face the direction it needs to in order to land in the predesignated area.  The script just needs a center location and radius of error.  If you make the error radius 0 then the chute will land exactly on the spot you designate.  If you make the landing area very far from the drop point, the chute will still reach the spot (unless a hill gets in the way)!  It will just simulate a chute with a ridiculously high glide ratio. ;D
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2005, 02:20:51 by Raptorsaurus »

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jun 2005, 11:58:43 »
I've got some wind I need to get rid of too, from eating too many legumes...
urp!

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #10 on: 09 Jun 2005, 14:20:52 »
There's a value in the mission.sqm that iirc controls the wind...
It's randomSeed...

open the mission.sqm (in some text editor), change the randomSeed to randomSeed=0
Just back up the original value first in case something goes sour... ::)

That may work...
No guarantees though, I just remember spotting this somewhere ages ago...
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2005, 14:22:12 by HateR_Kint »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:13:43 »
well i relay like the sound of Raptorsaurus script and i will have a go at the mission.sqm and also RujiK ill hae a go with the set velocity

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jun 2005, 20:39:38 »
i dont think the randomseed thing works or if it does it didnt work with me so im going to have a go wth the setvelocity script

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
« Reply #13 on: 09 Jun 2005, 21:58:55 »
Sorry I did not submit that script last night.  I went straight to my GFs house after work and then got home very late.  I will for sure submit it today after work.

UNN

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2005, 00:35:25 »
Randomseed, is normaly used to determine the random number sequency.

It works that way in other languages. I think the idea is, computers cant create true sequences of random numbers. So you use the date\time as the seed, to create what looks like a random sequence. But keep reseting your clock, you would get the same sequence all the time.

So all it should mean is, you get the same wind direction every time you play the mission. It might help, as you could use trial and error to make sure they eject at a position that allows them to land safely.