Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Good practice  (Read 2123 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Good practice
« on: 12 May 2005, 12:28:22 »
I don't have pleasure of visiting this board very often, but I'm working on a script which I hope to post soon.  Consequently I need to know what is good practice for script posters.   What are the common mistakes?   What pitfalls should I avoid?

Similarly, what makes a good tester?   Are there any customs I should follow?   What crass noobish errors am I likely to make?

All comments and suggestions welcome.   Thank you.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:Good practice
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2005, 15:00:17 »
In my experience the only noobish thing to do is not to put something on this site before submitting it.  It is a bit quieter here than the Missions Beta site - but no less friendly.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2005, 15:07:00 »
Or using addons/music/other big files in the testmission.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2005, 22:31:49 »
It is always nice to include a demo mission, instead of just posting the script itself. That way the user can plop it into the game and see what it does quickly, without having to set it up himself. After that, then you can mess around with the parameters/etc and see what you can do with the script.

But like dmakatra said, please, please for the love of god, NO ADDONS in the testmission. Unless the script requires them, of course. But in that case, a link to the required addon is appropriate.

Commenting the script is also nice, since it lets someone figure out what is going on in it, so they can make suggestions or learn something from it.

Other then that, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Actually, I should reinforce my first point: always have a demo mission. Even if it is just on desert island with a couple units. Whatever it takes to show off what the script does.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2005, 23:41:05 »
Thank you, usual suspects, for your kind advice.   I have just posted the script.  (Tank smoke.)   Needless to say it has a sound file and requires an addon.   ;D   But it's small enough to attach and the addon is necessary, common and linked.  

Script is commented and very simple demo mission included.

More tips, for both script writers and testers, very welcome.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2005, 23:41:40 by macguba »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2005, 09:59:05 »
The information in this thread is obviously going to be turned into a sticky eventually.    A summary of what's gone so far plus some more thoughts of my own.  

- always beta test before submitting
- don't use addons
- if addons are essential, give exact urls
- don't use large sound or music files
- always include a demo mission, no matter how simple
- comment the script
- when the script involves multiple scripts, write a short overview of what they are and how they interact
- state explicitly what parameters the script requires

All comments, criticisms, suggestions, ideas - both for posters and testers - very welcome.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2005, 10:05:12 by macguba »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2005, 02:12:40 »
Hmm, I guess these point should be obvious, but may as well say it:

-Explain what the script is supposed to do. Sometimes it isn't always obvious from the title of the script. Sometimes people don't know what a certain acronym/military term means. Just explain it the best you can, and don't assume the reader knows anything.

-Point out any bugs/problems in the script, so beta testers don't waste their time pointing out known flaws to you.

A couple things that I also like when people do them:

-Give some ideas on how the script can be used. Especially any uses that might not be immediately obvious. This will be more important for certain scripts, where their purpose is less obvious.

-List any future improvements you plan to make to the scripts. Ask for suggestions if you are short on ideas.

-If there is anything SPECIFIC that you want tested about the scripts, point that out. For example, if you aren't sure if the script works in MP, or if you think problems may occur when using the script in a certain situation, or if you want to know how it seems to affect the AI, etc.

One last, yet important practice that unfortunately gets overlooked every so often:

-When the script has reached a point of completion, submit it to the editor's depot!

There have been more than a few great scripts that have been posted here, worked on by the author until they are basically 'finished', yet never submitted to the ed depot. Also keep in mind that you can always update a script after you send it to the depot.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2005, 02:14:20 by General Barron »
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2005, 15:24:48 »
Thanks GB, that's all good stuff.

I've made this a sticky as it is beginning to be useful.  

Further comments on what consitutes good practice for script authors or testers are very welcome.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2005, 16:57:40 »
Two most important things (IMHO), comments and demo mission. With the demo misison, unless it's for a specific addon, don't make it using anything other than BIS addons. Delete the Addons={ and AddonsAuto={} bit in the mission.sqm using notepad.
Commenting the scripts is very usefull, as it helps people reading them learn scripting, thats how I learn a lot :P

If it does need an addon, link to it (Either on the addons depot, or on ofp.info)
- Ben

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jun 2005, 22:06:00 »
Ok.....Last call for suggestions in this thread please, chop chop.   ;D ;D

If you have any further fine suggestions and tips for good practise, now is the time to post them.  ;)

Planck
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2005, 22:06:25 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.