Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: knows about  (Read 709 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
knows about
« on: 31 May 2005, 08:55:21 »
okayi have an enemy camp wich is unknows by the west and when the player is retreating and if he detects that camp a radio messgae appears wich i can do that bit and he is told to engage them but i dont whant that to happen if he doesnt see them and i dont want to use a east detected by west trigger becuase there are lots of patrols all around and if they slip into the trigger are he wold be told to engage the camp wich he still doesnt know about i thought it would be a knows about trigger i checked the comref but i dont understand how to put that into a condition field plus its a camp and i dont want the player need to know about one unit when he ,might know about other units in the camp also does knows about include calling them out tou your squad like
"1 O'clock enemy soldier 200" something like that ?

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re:knows about
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2005, 09:11:52 »
jings mate, put some space in your posts! they're quite tricksy to decode! ;)

i would simply put a trigger of acceptable size over the camp, say 50 x 50, player present, at which point it's reasonable to assume the player will have detected the camp.

trying to do the 'knowsabout' thing involves more scripting than it's worth - just make the assumption that if the player's close enough, he'll see it.

as for alerting the squad, i think 'knowsabout' takes care of that automatically - it's part of the game engine i believe.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2005, 09:20:42 »
okay well the thing is with that i dont want the player to persume theres a camp around and its slightly of track so im thinking of expanding the camp so gurads are all around then try the trigger thing anyway ill try a few other things and let you know how i get on. cheers

Also ill add more spaces in my posts sorry

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2005, 10:56:40 »
Detecting camps like this is difficult and it's very rarely done well.   I've never attempted it myself, so I don't know the best way.

However, it seems to me that the answer is a "player's group detects enemy" trigger exactly over the camp itself.    For it to fire, the enemy in the camp must be detected so therefore the camp must have been spotted.  

A trigger "east detected by west" will fire even if the west units are outside the trigger area.

Since you sometimes get wierd detections that  you don't really deserve, then perhaps you should also have a player present trigger.    Or several small overlapping triggers to get the right shape, since the area from which the camp may be seen is unlikely to be oval or rectangular.

And yes, I agree with bedges.   A few sentences and paragraphs would make your posts much easier to understand.    I confess I've given up once or twice in the forest of subordinate clauses.    ::)
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2005, 11:05:21 »
ill try the player's group detects enemy trigger becuase i dont reall ywant to use a west present trigger becuase that would have to change the mission idea,
when you get in the area i would have to have papabear saying "an enemy camp is at position #### go check it out"
or something like that.
Anyway ill try your way. thanks

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2005, 19:56:04 »
i just went to try your idea Macguba but i dont know how to make an East detected by Player trigger do i group the trigger to the player becuase that will basically flip the trigger over to work if you were an east.
is it something to do with the condition field maybe ?

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2005, 20:37:16 »
I just meant enemy detected by player's side.

Are there any other groups on the player's side that might screw things up?
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2005, 20:42:59 »
erm maybe, a few squads are retreating and might run past the camp site so that might not be the best of idea's but it should work

Grendel

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2005, 21:49:23 »
This sounds like a job for my new Line Of Sight script (which will not actually be posted until 20050531 1800 PST, sorry) !

If there is a LOS and, the player's facing direction ='s the direction to the camp +/- a few degrees, and the distance is less than the viewdistance "pop up" and the enemy in the camp has been detected, then it is reasonably certain the camp has been detected.

I'll work something up if you like.

-Grendel

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jun 2005, 08:13:31 »
emm souns interesting but hard,
basically youre saying if the player is in seeing range and looking a few degres of that ists most certain hes spotted the camp ?
if so that should work