Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: custom pause screens  (Read 2269 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
custom pause screens
« on: 27 May 2005, 17:34:21 »
okay you all know when you press the 'esc' button it pauses the game and has all the buttons on. Okay then so i was playing FDF mod and when i pused it i noticed in the bottom left corner it says FDF in that writing they do and also has the 2 blue stripes on the top and bottom so i was wondering how can i modify that screen.

Also another question do you know when you exit a mission and it goes to the main page and in the background shows a cutscene how can i make one of those for my upcoming campaign so instead of the default bis ones it plays one of mines instead?

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re:custom pause screens
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2005, 17:41:59 »
1) You would need to edit a file called resource.bin (convert it into resource.cpp first) in the Bin folder to edit that pause screen...

2) You would need to edit the OFP Anims.pbo in Dta folder to do that, by replacing the original OFP island anims (for the islands you use in your campaign) with your own...

So that would mean you would need to build a mod for your campaign...
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2005, 17:47:12 »
2. You can make your own anim, include it with the campaign and give instructions to the player on how to install it.   The game selects randomly from the available anims (I believe) so, given that the player will presumably play the campaign over a number of sessions, he is likely to see it at some point.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2005, 17:58:18 »
ahh okay so its not too easy but that does sound nice my own anim and resource files made for the campaign im going to have a look at that and post back later

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2005, 22:10:02 »
I wouldn't suggest making your own resource files. Many players like to use mods that have their own resource/config files, like FDF, ECP, etc. Making your campaign have one might frustrate some players, since they might not be able to use those mods.

Also, there is no way to ensure that your 'mod' is running when a user plays your campaign... since you can't include campaigns in mod folders.

On the second Q though: does anyone know how exit.sqs works? In the com ref it says that this script is run after the mission exits, so perhaps you could use one to 'override' the default island cutscenes. I've never been able to get the thing to work though, so I have no idea what/how it works.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2005, 23:53:18 »
I've got exit.sqs to work.    It's just like init.sqs except it's called at the end, obviously.   I think just before the debriefing but I'm not absolutely sure.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2005, 09:07:49 »
i thought it was called at the very end of the mission before debriefing where the missions cuts off because its completed or failed

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2005, 09:34:58 »
It's just like init.sqs except it's called at the end, obviously.  I think just before the debriefing but I'm not absolutely sure.

i thought it was called at the very end of the mission before debriefing where the missions cuts off because its completed or failed

Ah, okay, that isn't where I was expecting it to be. But how would that work? I mean, time freezes at the debriefing, so what could you do in the script? Any examples on some ways to use it?
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2005, 09:39:06 »
well i know you can save people statuss like unitname savestatus
i think thats right it should save the amount of ammo and weapons but aparentaly it doesnt save status its also used for campaign pools to save the weapons from one mission to another and also health.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2005, 10:22:54 »
It's designed for use in campaigns, when you want to do things like saveStatus and saveVar for the next mission.    You can use some of these kinds of commands for the Outro, if you are a masochist.

You could test it with a delay (that might be interesting) and an objStatus command.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2005, 10:24:46 »
objstatus commands work for me i couldnt be bothered to open up Ofp to go to the editor just to type
"3" objstatus "done" so i put it in the exit.sqs and it now ticks off fine

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2005, 21:42:02 »
okay then how about a custom death screen when you die you come up with the end dialog how about having a logo in the bottom left corner.
And a between game filter over the screen and maybe a large pic of something to expect in the next mission how would i go about these

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2005, 11:32:14 »
aswell is there a code or anything to detect if the player has paused the game?

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jun 2005, 15:05:46 »
bump
also how do i convert the .bin into a .cpp file ?
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2005, 15:08:07 by 456820 »

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #14 on: 04 Jun 2005, 01:24:41 »
Theres bin > CPP programs about
Check editors depot and tools on www.ofp.info

I remeber Hawk In Nets had a custom "You are dead" screen, was just like the Metal Gear Solid 2 one, was impressive :P

Maybe have a look at how that mission done it? (It's in MEC Finalists :))

- Ben