Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: custom death script  (Read 6428 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
custom death script
« on: 18 May 2005, 17:06:46 »
okay you may think this should go into the cutscene board but im asking within a script i have called
onplayerkilled.sqs
wich activates when the player is killed i want it to target the player than show the end dialog.
I can do that so far but then after that i want it to have a shot of the person who killed the player how would this be done

would it be done with an even handler if so how.
is it just passed through the scipt and reconised by ofp.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:custom death script
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2005, 17:14:41 »
What you propose is exactly what is done by one of the two default death scene scripts.   I have a feeling the killer is returned automatically, I can't remember.

Look at what BIS has done and base your script on that.  

If you happen to have downloaded a certain mission which I daren't mention again by name, unpbo it and see how things were handled there.   It had four custom death scripts, two by BIS, one by Sui and one by me.

As a general point, yes, the killed EH returns who the killer was.   There is stuff in the ED about how this works, read up on it.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2005, 17:15:05 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2005, 17:16:46 »
well im looking at 2 different ones and they are both done like a script parameters such as
_player
_killer

and it uses that all the way through the script but i notied in the mission there is no trigger with the parameters in brackets.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2005, 17:21:08 »
Yes, that's what I mean about them being returned automatically.     When the onplayerkilled script is launched it, the array _this contains the player and the killer.    But it's all done by the game engine, you don't need a trigger.

voodzia

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2005, 18:46:37 »
I also have a question related to this topic so won't start a new one. So I can change the ending cutscene - that's cool - but what about the ending dialog - this red one - "you are dead". Can I change it either?
Thank you in advance for your reply.
Kind regards,
voodzia

p.s
Btw, default "onPlayerKilled.sqs" script can be found in "your_OFP_folder\Dta\scripts.pbo".

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2005, 19:34:31 »
you miht be able to change it but im not sure how to do that all. i can edit it by using title text and or cutrrs commands basically adds custom text fonts to it.
But if you give me a while i might be able to find out how to change it if its possible.

Offline RujiK

• Members
  • KoKo Puh-Fizzles!
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2005, 19:58:44 »
If your just trying to make a script for this editing the scripts.pbo wont be nessacary.

Just make a trigger and put in the condition: !(alive player) and in the activation:titletext ["You fat head you died! \nWhat a newb! Ah ha ha ha!","Plain"]

Easy.
I like your approach, lets see your departure.
Download the New Flashlight Script!

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2005, 20:03:21 »
that wont work because that text will be followed by the endgame view screen the only way to do it is either edit it using title text's and pictures and so on unless i can be bothered to have alook in that mission wich has some custom death screen

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2005, 20:25:22 »
I think you probably could.   That end dialogue is called by a command in the onplayerkilled script and you don't have to have it.     You could certainly create you own dialogue and call that instead.

However, the problem is that the endDialogue is very powerful and has options like "Load" and "Retry".    I doubt it's possible to recreate these with scripting commands.   In other words, by not having BIS endDialogue, you are fundamentally altering what happens when you get killed.

Now there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that, although it will annoy a lot of players.    The important thing is that the replacement is in some way better than the original.

Because of this risk of leaving the player stranded, I would suggest that you do not attempt this unless you are already an experienced dialogue maker.

What would be fine would be your own dialogue first, followed by the BIS one.     If you wanted to give the player different options then you could make one of them to call the normal endDialogue.

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2005, 23:34:44 »
Hi Number Man

Check out a file in your OFP BIN folder called stringtable.csv.  This is actually a simple Excel file that contains a summary of all of the things that you see and here in the game.

The OFP engine doesn't actually tell itself to print "You are Dead" when you die.  Instead, it tells itself to print STR_MISSION_KILLED.  The engine then checks your default language and looks up the apporopriate output in the above file.  If your language is English then the output is "You are Dead".  If it is German then you get "Sie sind tot.", Spanish "Ha muerto." etc.

Although it's easy to do, I haven't got around to stuffing around with this file yet as I am not sure how it affects MP play.  I don't think that it should make any difference though - all this file does is change how YOU see things, not anyone else.

I'm sure that if I play on line with someone in Spain then his OFP will say "Ha muerto", whereas mine will say "You are dead" - no problems.  Also, I don't think that there is much opportunity for cheating if your version of OFP says "Idiot, get in the damned car" rather than something else !

Try saving a copy of this file to someplace safe, then changing any or all of the entries in the English column (column 2).  There are over 2500 entries so you will have do a bit of research to find the ones you want.

(FWIW - STR_MISSION_KILLED is item number 445.)

Cheers

Rory

PS - "You are Dayed.  D-A-Y-E-D - Dayed !

voodzia

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2005, 12:31:57 »
The problem is I don't want to change that string globaly - I'm not making a mod - just a simple SP mission. However I tried to make a simple version of this stringtable.csv file (containing only one entry - STR_MISSION_KILLED) and put it to my mission folder - but it ain't working. Can someone tell me why?

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2005, 16:27:53 »
that doesnt go in your misssions folder and since your making a mod it goes in the bin folder wich has the other files that decide what addons are used for what i think

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2005, 17:06:34 »
I'm not making a mod

since your making a mod

;D

You can indeed put a stringtable.csv file in your mission folder.   It is a temperamental file though.   It must have only one sheet.     Whenyou have finished amending it, save it, close it, and save the mission to make the changes take effect.

However, simply putting a line in there with the same name as one of the lines in the stringtable in the bin won't change anything in the game, because the game is looking along the path that takes it to the bin stringtable.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2005, 17:07:58 by macguba »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2005, 17:08:15 »
woh jese im such an idiot lol didnt notice that at all must of got it mixed up

voodzia

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2005, 17:56:21 »
However, simply putting a line in there with the same name as one of the lines in the stringtable in the bin won't change anything in the game, because the game is looking along the path that takes it to the bin stringtable.
What a shame :(
So it seems to me it can't be done easly via script - but actually it doesn't botter me. I'm glad a new lesson was learnt. Thank you all for your great response.
Regards,
voodzia

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2005, 19:20:00 »
However, simply putting a line in there with the same name as one of the lines in the stringtable in the bin won't change anything in the game,

@voodsia

I think what he meant here was....don't use the same name, rather, choose a new one.

At least thats the way I see it.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

voodzia

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2005, 19:41:50 »
But using a different one makes no sense in my case since I want to replace string "you are dead". Default endDialog script seems to use this text which is assigned to STR_MISSION_KILLED. At least that's how I see it ;)
« Last Edit: 19 May 2005, 19:42:29 by voodzia »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2005, 23:18:21 »
Roni - if you're looking for your post I've split it out and put in a new thread, since it's really a new question.    

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=23762

Don't want 456820 to feel his thread has been hijacked, now do we?    ;D

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2005, 05:40:05 »
One option (which I have managed to successfully implement... so trust me it works ;) ) is to create a resource overlay and cover the 'you are dead' with whatever text you want.

Once I get the last beta version of my mission released, you'll see how it works. If you shoot your lieutenant you'll get:
"You have been Court Martialed"
instead of the 'you are dead'.

The options down the bottom (retry/load/quit/etc.) all remain the same, because my resource only covers the top of the screen...

Anyway, a bit hard to explain without being able to show you. I'll try and get the next version of my mission done... :P

voodzia

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2005, 14:24:30 »
But I don't want to wait that long. And besides I'd like to do it by myself. Can someone tell me where I can find any informations about that mysterious "resource overlay"?

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2005, 16:48:55 »
Don't want 456820 to feel his thread has been hijacked, now do we?
Well i actually solved this a while a go and hae now made my own death cam wich is quite good i think perfectly timed wit music. i just left this thread open because of the new question.

Sui sounds good what missions this and its suprising to see that you still have time to make missions aswell as look after the whole ofpec site. but also you say it covers the 'you are dead' with what you want but wouldnt you still be able to see 'you are dead' under your new text?

Also i want to be able to add to my script so it checks if the killer is still and aiming down his sights and if yes it looks thorught his sites so you see what hes seeing and if not just carry's on with the original idea?
Anyone have nay ideas

I thik ive seen it done before but it might of just checked for something else. I think it was The black gap i think Sui made it too also is that actually completed?

Grendel

« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2005, 16:59:33 »
Also i want to be able to add to my script so it checks if the killer is still and aiming down his sights and if yes it looks thorught his sites so you see what hes seeing and if not just carry's on with the original idea?
Anyone have nay ideas

Assuming that you are using a "killed" eventhandler, you can use '_this select 1' to get the killer I think.

You could then use switchcamera "gunner" to look down the sights of the killer.

-Grendel

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2005, 17:01:19 »
thats not totally what i wanted because im not using an Event Handler im using the default _killed wich gets automatically passed to the onplayerkileed.sqs script.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #23 on: 20 May 2005, 17:20:43 »
Sui's deathcam script shows you the killer's view exactly as you describe.     It is used in Sui's excellent Facile ground and I also borrowed it (with his permission) for Un-Impossible.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2005, 17:24:30 »
okay i just need to know how that was done i dont relly want to use his even though its great i would prefer to use my own but could anyone explain how he did it

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2005, 05:07:12 »
The onplayerkilled.sqs automatically gets passed a couple of arguements... as Grendel pointed out, (_this select 1) will give you the unit that killed the player.

So in my onplayerkilled.sqs, I used something like this:

Code: [Select]
killer = _this select 1
[player] join grpnull
0 fademusic 1
titletext ["","BLACK OUT", 3]
~4
playmusic "track10"
enableradio false
enableenddialog
titletext ["","BLACK IN", 1]
killer switchcamera "gunner"
killer addeventhandler ["Fired",{killer switchcamera "gunner"}]
#aliveloop
_now = _time
@ (_time > (_now + 10)) or (not (alive killer))
? not (alive killer): goto "kded"
killer switchcamera "external"
_now = _time
@ (_time > (_now + 5)) or (not (alive killer))
? _time > 75: goto "notalive"
goto "aliveloop"

Basically, that detects if the killer still lives, and if so switches the camera to a view of their gunsights (killer switchcamera "gunner"). It will then wait 10 seconds, and switch camera to "external" (3rd person view). If they fire their weapon, it will switch back to gunsights, and wait 10 seconds.

There's also code in there that will trigger the rest of the death cutscene if the killer unit is killed (not much point staring at a dead guy the whole time ;) ), but I omitted where it goes for clarity.

As for replacing the 'You are dead' text, it looks something like this:

[img removed]Suicourtmartial.jpg[/img]

With resources, you can set how transparent they are so the 'You are dead' doesn't show through even though it's still beneath the 'You have been Courtmartialled'.
To find out how to work custom resources, I suggest you take a look at a dialog/resouce tutorial.

In a nutshell, what you need to do is create the picture you're going to use (I suggest create a tga and convert it to .paa). Then you'll need to make an entry for it in your description.ext.
You can then call it from a trigger (under the 'effects' section), or from a script using cutrsc or titlersc.

Anyway, have a look through some tutorials and see how you go ;)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2005, 09:08:24 »
woh that looks great Sui also thanks for the bit in that script im bound to use that in some way.
you can set how transparent they are so the 'You are dead' doesn't show through even though it's still beneath
how do you set the transparency of the original text i would like to know cause i need something like this for a mission im working on so it would be very usefull if you could say how or something i just need it to say "You failed your Primary objective" because i dont want it to go to the notebook screen of end#2.

Also yet again thanks for explaining that death cam ill try it out and try and out a bit into mine and say if it works

Edit - Okay ive tried putting the event handlers into my script i think i works but im wondering what a few lined mean and why they are there.

_now = _time
@ (_time > (_now + 10)) or (not (alive killer))
killer switchcamera "external"
_now = _time
@ (_time > (_now + 5)) or (not (alive killer))
? _time > 75: goto "notalive"
goto "aliveloop"

i think thats the bit wich checks if its more than 10 seconds but now ive ran into a problem when i add the event handler fired it stays like that until i remove the event handler but i want a bit wic runs in the background of this script wich checks if the killer hasnt fired for around 3 seconds and then removes the event handler. I think i would have to call a new script for this within the script any help please
« Last Edit: 21 May 2005, 09:53:14 by 456820 »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2005, 10:12:13 »
oky infact now it wont seem to change to the killers optics at all.
ive included my script with this post also the end lines wont work where it should target the players leader and when the killer is dead target the killers leader or former leaders.
Can someone have alook at this and say why it might not work

voodzia

« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2005, 11:31:56 »
I'm not sure but I think your script ain't working because you got it all wrong. I mean - look at onPlayerKilled.sqs by BIS:
&2

titleCut["", "BLACK OUT",1]
&3
_animace = ["deathDefault.sqs", "death1.sqs"]

_this exec ( _animace select ( random ( (count _animace) - 0.5 ) ) )

exit
It looks like that you can't have just one script for all your stuff - you'll  need 2 scripts - onPlayerKilled.sqs and e.g myDeath.sqs.
Then your onPlayerKilled.sqs will look something like this:
&2

titleCut["", "BLACK OUT",1]
&3

_this exec "myDeath.sqs"

exit

And that second file "myDeath.sqs" is the file where you should put all your camera commands. I hope that will help you somehow ;)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #29 on: 21 May 2005, 11:36:44 »
well thats very weird all other onplayerkilled.sqs files im looking at are done very simiallar to mine i just basically used them as templates and they all work

voodzia

« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2005, 11:43:24 »
It's because you're looking at wrong examples ;) Take a look at macguba's latest mission - "Un-Impossible Mission". You'll see for your self how it was done by the master mission maker - he just can't be wrong.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2005, 11:48:10 by voodzia »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2005, 11:50:39 »
Solved this bit not sure why it went wrong but its fixed now.
But ive ran into a nother problem im trying to make the enddialog show when the player shoots any western soldier. i can do the trigger but i just triedit but the dialog wouldnt seem to show.
I created the trigger well in the test it was a radio alpha.
Condition = this
on activation = enable end dialog
But when i radiod alpha the dialog didt show what could be wrong

Also would a script be involved to check if the player killed the other unit. something to do with an event handler killed then the script gets activate and in the script is something like

?_this select1 == player: goto "enddialog"
#enddialog
EXIT

Thats probally wrong but it might be along those lines i just need to check if _this select1 wich is the returned value for the EH killed of who did it, then you ask the script if _this select1 equals the player if so i want it to show end dialog.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2005, 13:26:09 by 456820 »

voodzia

« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2005, 15:03:41 »
But when i radiod alpha the dialog didt show what could be wrong
I think the answer is simple and you can find it in comref -
enableEndDialog
Type of returned value:
    Nothing
Description:
    Enable dialog buttons to be shown during OnPlayerKilled script.
And one more thing - I hope there is a space between select and 1 in your script?

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2005, 15:20:42 »
okay then so that means i cant show the dialog screen during a mission but ive seen it been done before so many times.
And yes there is a space between select and 1

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2005, 15:03:26 »
hey
i was wondering Sui if by any chance you could explain how you did the edited dead screen and how you make it show becuase endgialogscreen command only workd through the onplayerkilled script plus i really need that for a mission well several just to finish them off because the note pad isnt really as good

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #35 on: 26 May 2005, 08:32:28 »
I'll find the code once I get home tonight and post it up for you...

Basically the sequence of events went something like this:

- Player shoots Superior office
- Soldier says "What did you do that for?" etc.
- Screen fades to black
- Player is killed (player setdammage 1)
- player setpos'ed to tent and revived (player setdammage 0)
- custom resource displayed on screen
- fade back in
- enableenddialog true

I'll post the code up a bit later...

[edit] THe code:

Onplayerkilled.sqs
? blueonblue: goto "KilledNPC"
#KilledNPC
orderstring = "enableradio false"
[player] join grpnull
~3
0 fademusic 1
3 fadesound 1
playmusic "track6"
enableenddialog
player setdammage 0
removeallweapons player
player playmove "combattostand"
player setpos [(getpos NPCKtent select 0), (getpos NPCKtent select 1), 0]
player setdir 270
~1
titlersc ["CourtMartial","PLAIN",0.1]
~1.5
_cam = "camera" camcreate [0,0,0]
_cam cameraeffect ["internal","back"]
_cam camsetpos [(getpos player select 0) + sin (getdir player) * 2, (getpos player select 1) + cos (getdir player) * 2, 1.8]
_cam camsettarget [getpos player select 0, getpos player select 1, 1.7].... etc. etc...

Description.ext

To define the resource:
class SolidPicture
{
   type=0;
   idc=-1;
   style=48;
   colorBackground[]={0,0,0,0};
   colorText[]={1,1,1,};
   font="tahomaB24";
   size=0;
};
class RscTitles
{
class CourtMartial
   {
      idd=-1;
      movingEnable=0;
      duration=999;
      name="CourtMartial";
      controls[]={"CourtMartial"};
      class CourtMartial: SolidPicture
      {
         text="CourtMartial.paa";
         x=0.000000;
         y=0.000000;
         w=1.000000;
         h=0.15000;
      };
   };

Anyway, play with that and see how you go. The tutorials mentioned before should be able to teach you how it all works ;)
« Last Edit: 26 May 2005, 11:00:11 by Sui »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #36 on: 26 May 2005, 17:21:24 »
hey thanks alot Sui im going to have a go later

voodzia

« Reply #37 on: 26 May 2005, 20:50:57 »
Only few days ago you posted your comment on "Cutrsc/Titlersc Tutorial" by General Barron but I guess you haven't read it yet, have you? It's all there - try to read it once again if you already have.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2005, 19:52:11 »
okay thanks alot Sui i think i understand it now so i decided to have a go and create a complicated script (wich probally isnt needed) well to me its complicated cause im just starting to get alright at scripting anyway i know for sure the syntax is wrong so i was hoping someone could have a go at correcting it for me The script is attached on this post.

I plan to run the script through an EH. im going to add a killed EH to all superior officers then the script should run and check if the killer is on the same side if he is it checks if its the player if still yes than it goes to the court martial bit and if no it makes sure the killer is on the other side then goes to exit meaning the player can carry on with the mission.

The only bit is Is the script right ?

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #39 on: 28 May 2005, 18:19:23 »
okay ive had a pla around with the script i made and cant get it to work well i can kind of the script runs when theofficer is dead but doesnt care if it was the player or an east soldier but then after that everything works great until the text "You have been court martialled" comes up its just above the 'You are dead' text, is blury, 'You are dead' text can still be seen. but then the rest of the sript runs perfect.
Also i had a bit of trouble with Sui's description class mostly because of the .paa file needed it kept saying that files cant be seen i think most of these problems are linked to that suchas being blury.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #40 on: 29 May 2005, 13:55:22 »
another problem after editing my custom death script to show the players optics for a few seconfs at the begining it all works fine until i create a camera and tell it to target the dead player istead of targeting the player it goes halfway into the sea but still carries n with the script like changes FOV and changes height and so on.
ive posted the first half of the script below \/

killer = _this select 1
enableradio false
0 FadeSound 0.5
0 FadeMusic 1
PlayMusic "RTrack1A"
SetAccTime 0.35
~0.035

TitleCut ["","WHITE IN",0.50]
killer switchcamera "gunner"
~2
EnableEndDialog
~1
TitleCut ["","WHITE IN",1]
_camera = "camera" CamCreate [0,0,0]
_camera CameraEffect ["INTERNAL","FRONT"]

_camera setpos getpos (vehicle _player)
_camera CamSetTarget (vehicle _player)
_camera CamSetRelPos [+8,+5,+5]
_camera CamSetFov 0.250
_camera CamCommit 0
~1
0.5 FadeMusic 0.5
~0.5
_camera CamSetRelPos [+10,+10,+10]
_camera CamSetFov 0.250
_camera CamCommit 0
~1
_camera CamSetRelPos [+2,+3,+0.5]
_camera CamSetFov 0.250
_camera CamCommit 0.500
~1.5

Any reasons why its going into the sea have i missed a line out about the camera or something ?

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #41 on: 30 May 2005, 20:33:20 »
erm *BUMP*

Offline Marvin

• Members
  • One day they will come
« Reply #42 on: 30 May 2005, 20:34:40 »
yes not _player but player
Is there any games than Flashpoint?

Offline Marvin

• Members
  • One day they will come
« Reply #43 on: 30 May 2005, 20:35:28 »
_player is local variable!
Is there any games than Flashpoint?

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #44 on: 30 May 2005, 20:36:27 »
ok cheers i will try that and get back the only thing is that it worked before when i did _player until i added the switch camera to the beggining also what camera effect do i use in an intro to view a gunners sights?

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #45 on: 30 May 2005, 20:43:26 »
YES thanks alot its working but still ive got that pesky little prbolem also im told i need to use cameraeffect instead of switc cmaera in intros and outros so what cameraeffect is it to view a soldiers sights?

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #46 on: 31 May 2005, 04:48:43 »
I'm pretty sure switchcamera still works in intros ;)

Just make sure you specify the unit to switch the camera too...

I also delete any other camera I might have just before the switch (and re-create it before the next shot), but I think that's more of a personal preference thing. I don't think it's 100% necessary...

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #47 on: 31 May 2005, 08:14:49 »
ill try that thanks sui