Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: mission scripting  (Read 1437 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
mission scripting
« on: 01 May 2005, 12:48:10 »
okay i think this goes in here
anyway ive noticed some missions that get an 8 or 9 on scripting but when i de pbo the mission there are basically no scripts so where do those points come from so there fore effect the overall score higher when they didnt really do any scripting.
   Is this just like the way it plays like the objectives tick off and like text all fluent and not overlapping or does that just count as the mission part just wondering

Also if this doesnt go in here sorry but i saw the word missions depot and this kind of links to it

EDIT - Also what about if you use other peoples scripts wich arent your own how does that effect the scripting score
« Last Edit: 01 May 2005, 12:48:49 by 456820 »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:mission scripting
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2005, 14:07:46 »
Scripting means every little piece of code. Stuff in WPs, triggers and init fields. But yea, I agree. Missions that doesn't include any nice scripting shouldn't be rated 9/10 in scripting. It feels kinda weird when someone gets 8/10 for an entire new platoon command system "because it was good but a bit clumsy" and someone get 9/10 "because the unit placement was good and the objectives ticked off and the sidechats weere working."

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2005, 16:12:35 »
"Scripting" is particularly hard to mark.   It doesn't just include external script files and lines of code in the mission, it also includes use of triggers and waypoints.    No virtue in giving credit for an external script when triggers and waypoint could have done the job just as well.    Calling this category "scripting" is arguably a little misleading.

The difference between using third party scripts and ones made personally by the author is somewhere between small and zero.   It makes no difference to the player who actually wrote a script.   Using third party scripts well is encouraged and will give you a better mark.   Chucking loads of them in in an effort to gain marks but using them badly may actually lose you marks.

Never look at any part of a review in isolation, be it the overall score or the score for one area.   Always consider the whole, paying particular attention to the text of the review.    Reviewing and allocating scores is difficult and reviewers aren't perfect.      Neither is the scoring system itself.    "Scripting" can be used - subconsciously at least - to cover "other" aspects of the mission.    Overview, Briefing and Camera are all fairly clear cut, and it is important that the overall score and the score for the categories are at least vaguely consistent.    For example, a mission may be worth 8 overall because of factors not covered by the categories, but Briefing and Overview are only worth 7 and camera 2.    Scripting (which is the hardest section anyway) may be worth about 6 .... but the reviewer might be tempted to give 8:  partly to reflect those "other" factors and partly for the sake of consistency.

Remember too that standards change over time - they are constantly getting higher.    What got you a 6 a couple of years ago might only get a 4 or 5 now.

In other words, treat all scores with a pinch of salt.   They are usually about right, but don't take them too seriously.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2005, 16:14:23 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2005, 14:29:20 »
hmm - this thread just show me again that upon that big
scale of existing external scripts the ingame-editor power
gets lost more and more (straight from start editing).

I remember these days when there were not so many external scripts (2001 CWC) available ->

almost everything was done ingame - hell, take a look at BIS
missions from CWC; how many external scripts you could find
there?

I can't say that it's been a big mistake that i've taken my time to try out almost everything what can be done from ingame
editor, before i headed over to external scripts, as this really
opened up a bigger perspective about what would be better
to use depending on the situation (ingame/ext.scritp).

Especially as i was working alot for multiplayer missions, where
ingame-stuff in most case works (for sure on server side).

However - what i want say is: don't underestimate the power
of OFP's ingame editor, as almost every standard script can
be done ingame aswell (if you just learned to know HOW).

my 2€'s

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted