Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: addon request - small/medium cargo planes  (Read 4774 times)

voodzia

addon request - small/medium cargo planes
« on: 18 Apr 2005, 19:10:00 »
Hello,
I've just browsed through all 23 pages (that's exactly 332 models) of aircraft addon section on ofp.info  and haven't found even one small or medium size cargo plane for west site. Don't you think that it'd be nice to have for example C-2 Greyhound or C-27 Spartan available in OFP? And I suppose that there are none for east site either :( So I thought that maybe someone could make such a addon - what do you think about that?
Kind regards,
voodzia

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
Re:addon request - small/medium cargo planes
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2005, 21:23:53 »
And I suppose that there are none for east site either :(
Try this

As for a western plane, I suppose a C-130 is too big?

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2005, 21:44:18 »
Off the top of my head, I think a C2 greyhound has a wingspan of 80ft, and a length of 60ft.
A C130 has wingspan of 132ft and a length of 100ft, so yes, I guess its too big.  :-\
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

voodzia

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2005, 23:14:29 »
As greg147 said - C-130 Hercules is definitely too big. The planes I'd like to see in OFP are much smaller than C-130. For example C-2 could be used in many SF missions when you need to parachute a small squad behind enemy lines at high altitude. IIRC this is the aircraft that could be seen in "Tears Of The Sun" film - Bruce Willis and his SEAL team were deployed by it for the mission.
Here you can find some information on that plane.

@Student Pilot
I guess there is something wrong with the link - could you check it out - because when I click on it I get only the main page of ofp.info.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2005, 23:21:15 »
@greg147
Off the top of my head, I think a C2 greyhound has a wingspan of 80ft, and a length of 60ft.
A C130 has wingspan of 132ft and a length of 100ft, so yes, I guess its too big.
I knew a C-130 was bigger than a C-2, but I didn't know the exact size of the wingspans!  How did you know that off the top of your head?!

@voodzia
I just tried my link, and it worked for me.  It should take you to a Beriev Be-32K.

voodzia

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2005, 23:29:19 »
I guessed that you meant this plane but wasn't sure. And it's a good example of small cargo plane - at least SpecNaz troops can be transported by it. And what about Rangers, Deltas, SEALs? Now we have only choppers to transport them by air, haven't we?

Offline KeyCat

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2005, 00:44:51 »
Hello,
I've just browsed through all 23 pages (that's exactly 332 models) of aircraft addon section on ofp.info  and haven't found even one small or medium size cargo plane for west site. Don't you think that it'd be nice to have for example C-2 Greyhound or C-27 Spartan available in OFP?

I second this request for a nice medium size prop plane for west (and the other sides as well). The Cessna we use now only carries 3 passengers when doing paradrops :(

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

- The journey is the reward!

bigdog632

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2005, 21:59:35 »
if ya want a C2 igreyhound  i noticed that the awacs plane picture looks like the e2c hawkeye which is basically a greyhound with a radar on top with permission and a bit of editing you could return it to its roots

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons2/SpecOpsPiper.zip

thats a small transport plane of sorts for moving small units around holds more than 3 guys
i think 9 or 10 fit in it

Coldfire

« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2005, 23:23:36 »
while we're at it why not a small/medium transport plane for the resistance? It'd make sense, just a converted small civilian transport.

voodzia

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2005, 23:24:32 »
@bigdog632
I think that you're wrong - Piper is almost completely different from both C-2 Greyhound and  E-2C Hawkeye. It's not just shape but also all dimensions.  I guess that re-editing Piper would be even more laborious than making a new model from scratch. And besides I guess that US army don't use Pipers for any kind of missions so as I said before we have no airplanes for transporting small squads of SF soldiers at this moment. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

@Coldfire
But what would you do with such airplanes for Resistance? Imo Resistance don't need such planes - I mean for military use.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2005, 23:37:06 by voodzia »

bigdog632

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:23:50 »
i didnt say the piper
the e2c hawkeye is the awacs plane, or at least the plane looks like the e2c
the e2c if my memory serves me is basically a outfitted C2 greyhound
you could edit the c2 by removing the radome thing and a few other things and have a C2 greyhound

i didnt mean edit the piper they look nothing alike

bigdog632

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:27:47 »
also i know they have a C130 variation designed for special ops
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/mc-130e.htm
its still a big bird though

i think but cant say for sure small planes are replaced by helicopters int he US until the osprey comes into play for the most part....dunno for sure

Coldfire

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2005, 15:07:15 »
@Coldfire
But what would you do with such airplanes for Resistance? Imo Resistance don't need such planes - I mean for military use.

The resistance IS a millitary force isn't it? Maybe not a proffesional millitary but they still need to move weapons, ammunition, food, etc.

As for practical application in OFP missions, what use is a light transport plane for the US or Russia in game? You could just as easily do paratrooper missions out of a C-130 as a C-2 greyhound. The best way to find practical application for somthing like this would be to include a way to paradrop supplies, (ammo and such) and that could apply to the Resistance as well (where do you think they get thier weapons in the first place, other than stealing from the other two sides?)

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2005, 00:48:01 »
in the aircraft section of ofp.gamezone.ca there is a Beriev Be 32K aircraft addon. one for the russians, one for "United Nogovan" airlines. the russian one would work for the ruskies (obviously).
Cymbaline

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:51:40 »
I love planes too much, when someone requests a plane I like, I just have to make it. ;D

I have decided to build a C-27J Spartan.  Below are some pictures:

Front

Front-Left

Right

Rear-Right

Ok, now that I have shown you the pics, I have one question and a request.

Question: How does it look?  Does it look good enought for you to want me to continue?

Request (This isn't considered recruiting, is it?): If anyone can help me seach for pics of this plane, I would be very thankful.  Specifically, I am looking for pictures of the cockpit and cargo hold.

I cannot say when I will be finished.  I still have to come up with textures (and I'm not much of a texturer) and model the interior (which is why I need pictures).  As long as life doesn't get in the way, it might only take a month or two.  If life does get in the way, it will take me longer.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2005, 03:14:12 »
Here are some pics of the real thing:

Front

Front-Left

Right

Rear Left

(Hmmm, comparing the photos, it looks like I'll have to make the nose stubbier)
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2005, 03:17:31 by Student Pilot »

Coldfire

« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2005, 05:21:12 »
I still like the Idea of a built in supply drop script... like the one in the WW2 C-47 transport plane.

voodzia

« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2005, 17:40:40 »
@Student Pilot
Thank you very much that you've decided to make C-27J Spratan. Here you'll find some photos of this airplane - including cocpit view.
But I'd like to ask you if you could make also C-27A version of this airplane. It's because C-27J is used by USAF since 1997 and we don't have many addons from that time.
If you need more pictures just let me know and I'll spend all day and night to look for them.
Thanks again and good luck with your work.
Kind regards,
voodzia

EDIT: more links with pictures of C-27J Spartan
Cocpit and cargo hold
Lots of various pictures
Different camos (2 pages)
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2005, 21:48:50 by voodzia »

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2005, 16:35:17 »
@voodzia
Thanks for the pics!  They will be quite helpful.

What's the difference between the "A" version and the "J" version?  Does the A have a 3 bladed prop while the J a 6 bladed prop?

voodzia

« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr 2005, 18:05:18 »
I think that this is an answer to your question:

"Working together, Alenia and Lockheed Martin have developed a glass cockpit version fitted with AE 2100 turboprops and Dowty six-bladed propellers as the C-27J Spartan."

This quotation was taken from this site.
And if you need more pictures of these airplanes please let me know and I'll find them.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2005, 01:02:55 »
Thanks!  I guess one version will have a glass cockpit and 6 bladed props, and the other will have an anologue cockpit and 3 bladed props.

Any pictures you can find of the C-27A cockpit would be appreciated.

voodzia

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2005, 15:46:24 »
I can hardly believe but I can't find any pictures of C-27A cockpit view :( But I found one very good photo of Alenia G.222 cockpit - take a look at it. I'm not sure but I think that these two airplanes have the same cockpits. Here's a quotation from GlobalSecurity.org that makes me think I'm right:

"The U.S. Air Force's C-27 Spartan, nicknamed Chuck, is modified from the G222 airframe manufactured in Naples, Italy, by Alenia, S.P.A. Chrysler Technologies Airborne Systems, Inc., as prime contractor, procured G222-710 aircraft from Alenia, and modified those aircraft by installing upgraded navigation, communication, and mission systems required for C-27A operation."

But if I'm wrong please correct me someone.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2005, 15:47:24 by voodzia »

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2005, 16:24:15 »
I'm having the same problem.  I also think the two cockpits are identical, with maybe a small change in avionics.

Thanks for the picture! (That cocpit isn't going to be easy to model)

voodzia

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2005, 18:21:40 »
So I'd suggest to assume that those two cockpits are identical - even if they differ a bit from each other ;)
And regarding modeling the cockpit - if you think that it's gonna be difficult to make it look as realistic as possible then maybe you could find some way to simplify it a bit - I mean just not make it 100% accurate. I guess that from the player's and mission maker's point of view it's more important that this plane was well modeled from the outside - I mean shape, dimensions, right proportions and textures of course. At least that's my opinion if you asked me ;)