Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: y2k3 mod  (Read 5059 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
y2k3 mod
« on: 03 Apr 2005, 15:07:16 »
i was just browsing on some sit about the y2k3 mod and it says its amazing and is a must have then i have a look at some screen shots and see its nothing like ofp cause the units are different and everything so ive got a few questions
1. would anyone recomend it
2. is it like the ecp mod it has a seperate icon so you can still play the original.
3. if you create a mission with y2k3 mod must someone esle have it to play the mission

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
Re:y2k3 mod
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr 2005, 15:14:21 »
1. Yes.
2. I just used my original shortcut and put -mod= y2k3 at the end of the preferences thing, but you may want to have a new shortcut.
3. No

;D

You should definatly get it. Its a big download, but it completely changes the game. I deleted all my saves, and played every original mission and campaign again with the new units, and not once did it get boring  8)
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2005, 15:15:44 by greg147 »
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 03 Apr 2005, 15:17:18 »
so the original units are just changed to look better but without an addon

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr 2005, 15:20:55 »
right i think i figured it out i saw some pics and it shows the credits but with the y2k3 mod running and it appears that it just changed textures but what about the sound

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 03 Apr 2005, 15:34:59 »
Sounds has changed as far as I can tell. Explosions look and sound better, and guns are louder and sound different. I'm not sure if this was in the original, but you can hear your footsteps much louder aswell.  ;)
RAAB

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2005, 15:39:10 »
cool im downloading now well i have been doing so for some time and its only on 17% and ive got 650k broadband
and also ive seen some of the pics and i dont like the look og the blood i prefer the original ofp blood and the ECP mod explosions and also does it have custom scripts like ECP that has like custom tail rotor scripts if your chopper takes to much dammage

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2005, 15:54:31 »
I'm not impressed by the y2k3 mod. It's advantage is that it is a total conversion mod that gives you a "new game". But...

* Models and units are taken from so many different sources they don't really match in colour, quality, abilities, etc. I want my missions to look good in game, and with y2k3 they don't.
* Anims are changed, but BIS original ones look more realistic. They way your soldier is holding his gun in y2k3 brings memories of "Doom" and "Castle Wolfenstein" to mind.
* It's not very stable. I've had several crashes with this mod.
* Different addonmakers use different techniques to give their addons special abilities. The word "confusion" is the first one that leaps to my mind when I am playing in this mod. Some units have extra features, some units has a lot of extra features and a lot of units have no extra features. This creates a feeling of not knowing what my playable unit can and cannot do during a mission.
* For the same reason as above, it is difficult to script and build missions with y2k3. Readme files are availiable, but they are not comprehensive or easy to understand.

I'm a big fan of total conversion mods, but there are much better options than y2k3 IMO. CSLA2 and FDF are my favourites. These mods have a uniform look, everything within them matches.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: 03 Apr 2005, 16:06:02 »
uuuummmmmmmm now i have to think wether i want to download it i think i will have a go with it but if it is not that good i will delete and apparantely you get alot of lag with it is that true.
the pictures do make the game look amazing thought but i do agree that alot of the same soldier look alittle diffeent to each other and im not a fan of the extra actions like put gogles down and stuff
but i will try

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2005, 16:16:15 »
On my version, the soldiers don't have those extra actions. If you select a normal, west-units-soldier guy, he will have the same actions avaliable to him as the normal guys before the mod.
For example, RF motorised infantry have different options like 'camoflauge face' and 'camoflauge helmet'. When I try it with the soldiers they have replaced, these extras do not come up. Maybe we have different versions nominesine  ???

Anyway, it says on the Y2K3 topic at BIS forums that the makers recomend you use your normal flashpoint for mission editing, and Y2K3 for mission playing  ;)
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2005, 16:16:51 by greg147 »
RAAB

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2005, 16:37:25 »
oh ok im still going to download and it is now at 47% so anoying it is one big download it better be worth it

Offline Woodpeckersam

• Members
  • I'm a llama! ooh! Yeah!
« Reply #10 on: 03 Apr 2005, 16:52:39 »
Well, i was a little disappointed with Y2k3 because for one, savegames go bust sometimes..

i would recommend FlashFX if u want nearly the whole game changed, the Mission Editor menu, soldiers uniform, missile incomng sounds in a plane, change of the civilian cars etc etc, flashFX changes everything and save game work too! :)

(the mission editor is totally different, the map where u place units is actually a greeny colour and easier to read... fantastic :D)

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 03 Apr 2005, 17:14:10 »
Does FlashFX change all other vehicles like tanks and choppers aswell?
RAAB

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #12 on: 03 Apr 2005, 17:45:49 »
errrm, this is not the right place to discuss this...I bet a mod will be here soon and say:

"This is not the place to discuss this. These kind of questions should be asked at the official forum.
*topic locked*"

:P

My opinion is, that I just don't like these kinds of mods...especially not when they use addons made by 100 different addon makers...as nominesine said, it just doesn't fit to well when you throw together loads of different addons...though I haven't tested FlashFX or Y2K3...

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: 03 Apr 2005, 18:37:02 »
you would never of guessed what happend it was on 99% but since i was playing ofp aswell and other things it made my computer shut down but it still finished but since that happended the file is corrupt and i have to download it again

Acecombat

« Reply #14 on: 03 Apr 2005, 19:58:25 »
I dont like Y2k3 mainly for some of its unit choices arent good and also because it lags on my PC. EECP would be better i think overall , but i havent had the chance to try it yet. I am waiting for the new one with .075 implemented in it. :)