Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: must live/die  (Read 996 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
must live/die
« on: 03 Feb 2005, 17:25:52 »
ive made a mission where the east side must stay alive and the west mostly die so theres only a few left what can i put in a script for that to happen?

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re:must live/die
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb 2005, 17:52:07 »
if you could elaborate a wee bit on your question we might be able to help...

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 2005, 17:58:22 »
ok well ive got a west team holding a town wich i want them to pull back towards the end. so i dont whatn either side (east/west) to get killed. so about a handfull of west survive and manage to retreat. whilst alot more east live and can take the town

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb 2005, 18:48:56 »
You need waypoints and switch triggers.    Read the tute in the Ed Depot.   No scripts required but you'll need a count command of some kind in the condition field of the triggers, to make the west loons retreat when they take enough casualties.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 03 Feb 2005, 19:29:49 »
but is there a way of making sure the east team wont die incase we kill them then there will be no need retreat and then wouldnt finish the mission

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #5 on: 03 Feb 2005, 19:45:50 »
i think i see the problem. i would suggest thinking of this as a real situation.

say you have two groups of soldiers, and you want to guarantee that one side always triumphs, and the other side always retreats. how would that happen in real life?

if the losing side were all novices and the winning side were experts - set the skill level of your loons accordingly.

if the losing side ran out of ammo. again, set the ammo sliders.

if the losing side had more wounded, and so weren't able to aim as accurately. set the health sliders.

if the losing team were nervous cowards and had a tendency for insubordinate running away; there's a command called allowFleeing. make it 1 for the side you want to run away, 0 for the winners.

if the winning side had a bunch of reinforcements running up the hill to join them.

all this is pretty standard stuff though, and to be honest, i'd suggest simply waypointing it to happen as you want it to, just as gubes suggested, using the condition box to set up at what casualty number the losers start running.

hope this is of use ;)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 03 Feb 2005, 20:05:56 »
oh ok thanks but im not sure how the "countunits alive_x" thing works or whatever that is how can i do it so it counts when there are 5 men left on the whole map to activatye and there fore making them runaway?

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #7 on: 04 Feb 2005, 03:15:39 »
but is there a way of making sure the east team wont die
In order to make a good mission you need lots of playtesting.   Lots and lots.    For something important like this you will need at least 50-100 attempts before going to beta testing, if you want it to be really good.

The count thing depends partly on what you want, and before we can give you direct suggestions you need to get clear in your own mind what it is that you want.     You won't know until you've done sufficient playtesting to get an idea of what is right and what isn't.  

The count command can be used in many different ways:  if you wanted something to happen when there were only 5 East on the whole map then try this trigger:-

Activation box:  east present
Condition:    count thislist < 5
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play