Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: North vietnamese Helos  (Read 1634 times)

Thud

North vietnamese Helos
« on: 22 Aug 2002, 13:32:46 »
I had some hopes that North Vietnam had used Mi-8's in the war, thus allowing to use the Mi-17 in game as a chopper for the North. No luck though, I searched and searched but am forced to believe that they only got those after the war.

Still, though it's a lot more work, if someone models a mi-4 or mi-6 we've got a chopper for the North.

Eviscerator

Re:North vietnamese Helos
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2002, 14:15:58 »
i dont think they had many choppers during the war, i searched for aircraft used by north vietnam during the war and only saw Mig 17, 19 and 21's, i think there was another plane but no helicopters

Thud

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2002, 14:38:18 »
They did have them, several were destroyed by US aircraft on the ground and some were hit by US artillery while performing covert operations in and near the DMZ. The Mi-6's (10) were used to move heavy AAA into less accessible places (Thud Ridge f.e.) and lift jets into hiding when raids on air fields were expected.

(edit) as for the mi-4's they were used for everything, much as the UH-1's actually, only on a far lesser scale.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2002, 14:39:46 by Thud »

Schoeler

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2002, 00:55:30 »
Near the end of the war, the North had some Mi-2 Hoplites I believe. The Polish Mod has made a nice one and its in game, but they will only release it with their mod.