Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Can somebody plz explain the Trigger Types?  (Read 1803 times)

tai mai shu

Can somebody plz explain the Trigger Types?
« on: 22 Aug 2002, 04:19:20 »
hello, i am a newbie, and i would appreciate if someone would plz ecplain the different trigger types (switch, etc..) and give an example of their use/ advantage fo thier use.  f someone does compile enuff info in this thread, it will make a nice addition to teh upcoming FAQ thread.  ;D

zsa_zsa_rasputin

Re:Can somebody plz explain the Trigger Types?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2002, 14:16:41 »
If you have the addon "RedHammer" - there should be a booklet in there with a LOAD of helpful stuff about the editor...
But I'm guessing you DONT  :-\
Ah well...
As FAR as I can remember (the computer I'm using doesn't have OFP on and I cant remember them all...)

But Switch is basically the most useful and versatile of all of them...
If you find a trigger doesn't seem to be working - nine times out of ten it'll be because you missed something simple like setting it to "switch".

A SWITCH trigger means simple that - once activated it will perform it's OnActivation code. Meaning if you have a patrol circuiting a town, and a certain trigger makes them run to the centre of town and hide - then using a switch trigger would make them do this - no matter whatever else they were doing.

I could explain things better if I had the booklet with me - but I hope this helps a bit mate :)

Dan  ;D

mikeb

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2002, 14:27:07 »
I always use trigger type NONE as this does what you've described above and saimply activate on the condition line.

The best use for switch involves something a little more complicated but ideal for the situation you described.  I f agroup is on a patrol or set on a cycle, they seem to have to complete this no matter what event triggers the trigger.  If the are, say, walking to a waypoint and you want them to retreat.  Set the condition for a trigger to count the no. of units left (look elsewhere for this) then change the type to SWITCH and synchronise it with the waypoint you want to ignore.  This will effectively skip that waypoint and go to the next.

Hence if you want a squad to break it's cycle or stop 'holding' (neverending waypoints) then synchronise the SWITCH trigger with that one and it willl jump to the next.

Hope that makes sense.

The loose and end types will end the mission when triggered (multiples of the same type require all to be triggered).  Each can be set to have a different message on the debriefing screen.  All the end ones will also play the win outro if you make one and the loose type will play a lose outro.

Does that help?  I also don't have theat booklet around.

Wolf

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2002, 15:52:31 »
Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Types of Triggers
"The default is None, but you can create some special triggers. End #1, #2, and so forth are used for ending the mission. You can create seven possible endings for each mission - six are numbered and have their own debriefings and continues in case the mission is in a capaign. If you have more triggers of eachspecified type (such as multiple triggers with End 1), all of them must be activated to end the mission.
Loose is a speciel type of ending; there is no debrief after this end(only mission statistics), and if you set multiple loose triggers, the mission ends when any one of them is activated. This usually used for a Mission Failed ending.
Switch is another important trigger type. When this trigger is synchronized with a waypoint, it forces groups to move to the next waypoint reguardless of other conditions. This means all remainingwaypoints between the actual and switched ones are skipped. For example, you have a truck with five Move waypoints, and there is a Switch trigger synchronized with the third waypoint of the truck. At the beginning of the mission, the truck goes to the first waypoint. When it gets there it continues to the second, then to the third. The truck then waits there for the activation of the trigger before continuing on to the fourth waypoint - it works the same as a normal trigger. But if the trigger is activated while the truck is moving to the second waypoint, the truck immediatly changes its route and heads to the fourth waypoint. If the trigger is set to repeatedly and is activated again when the truck moves from the fourth waypoint to the last one, the truck returns to the fourth waypoint even if the waypoint was already completed.
The last special trigger is the Guarded By type. Specify positions on the map with these triggers. For example, set triggers around all cities on the Soviet part of an island as Guarded By East. Then create a few units with the Guard Waypoints. Although these units guard the entire area, they prefer areas within the triggers and check these locations often, attacking anything they see.
Within the Type area, you can also insert text. This appears in the mission editor. It is also used for Radio triggers and appears in the Command menu.

NOTE
The condition and effects menus allow you to program special actions when a trigger is activated. This includes sounds, music, and even cutscenes."

There, that's what that guide says about triggers, that was alot of typing, hope it helps ya.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2002, 15:55:55 by Wolf »

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2002, 21:19:03 »
i'll try and make it more simple:

None - Ya standard trigger, use it for anything and everrything

Switch - Like 'None' but say you have a trigger a group is heading to and then u want them to go to the next waypoint (base tells them to go to a new place instead of the original) then use switch triggers which basically cuts out the walk to the waypoint before you can go to the next - also you should use these more because in veteran mode its hard to hit a waypoint exactly, but using this trigger means that it doesnt matter.

End# - ends the mission, the different numbers relate to different possible debriefs in the briefing.html file - these endings cause the outro win to play (if ya have one)

loose - ends the misson and causes the outro lose to play (if ya have one)

Guarded By - read old wolfs magic above.

:thumbsup:
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

tai mai shu

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2002, 01:58:12 »
oh ok thanks a lot guys this clears up a lot of my newb issues.  :thumbsup: