Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Rating System  (Read 1691 times)

Offline RujiK

• Members
  • KoKo Puh-Fizzles!
Rating System
« on: 13 Feb 2005, 18:58:34 »
This is just a suggestion but it doesnt really seem like this is a good way to rate a mission...
In the rating system there are four factors however two of them are almost irrelivent to the mission's status! Briefing and Overview give the mission half its rating, however even if the mission doesnt even have an Overview it can still be a great mission! (Take Volcano for instance, no Overview however it made it to the top 10 of 2004, or was that a multiplayer mission?)

I would just like to suggest that you put briefing AND Overview into ONE factor of rating instead of having it be half. In its place I would suggest you put in something like "Creativity" or "Playability" or "Fun Factor".

But really, dont you people care more about the Fun factor of a mission more than a stupid overview?! If a mission doesnt have an Overview it can still be a great mission, but if it isnt any fun, isnt that more important then some stupid text thats not even in the mission?

Well, thats my piece I hope you really think about it.
(Also, no I am not having trouble making Overviews)
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2005, 19:02:40 by RujiK »
I like your approach, lets see your departure.
Download the New Flashlight Script!

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
Re:Rating System
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2005, 21:00:50 »
ya partialy agree with you, it is all about fun. but briefings are important, overviews are not,

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2005, 21:10:57 »
Take Volcano for instance, no Overview however it made it to the top 10 of 2004, or was that a multiplayer mission?
It's a multiplayer mission - no overview.

You're exactly right! Overview and briefing shouldn't be 2/4 of the overall score. This is why they're not. The overall score is not a mathematical average of the four categories (overview, briefing, scripting, camera).

A mission could score for example:
overview: 2
briefing: 4
scripting: 8
camera: 5
overall: 7
Where an average overall would be 5.
So if a mission is great otherwise, but the briefing and overview suck, it can still get good points - just not that good as it would with a good briefing and overview. Usually though, poor quality in the two above lasts through the whole mission.  :)

I have thought up several scoring categories more and in other ways making the reviews more precise, but we won't implement them for the time being.
Read the review. You'll find out exactly how the mission was by reading the whole review instead of focusing on the scores.  ;)
Not all is lost.

Offline RujiK

• Members
  • KoKo Puh-Fizzles!
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2005, 22:43:49 »
Oh, this I did not know.
Still, it seems like there should be other factors though, but this is fine.
I like your approach, lets see your departure.
Download the New Flashlight Script!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2005, 23:33:39 »
The system we have is historical.    It was good when it was first implemented although you are right, it is a little creaky now.    We have more than once considered changing it but there are two hurdles.  

Firstly, how do you deal with existing missions?    (Do we a horrifying amount of work and  re-mark them?   Or run two marking systems in parallel with all the problems that would entail?)     Secondly, given that whatever we do it will be a lot of effort which could probably be better spent elsewhere, is it really worth it?    Most overall scores would not change, and most of those that did would change by only one mark.

But thanks for the suggestion though.   :thumbsup:   We like suggestions.   :)
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2005, 09:47:16 »
Yeah.... yeah... hmmm... yeah... well, sort of.

I have to say that I wouldn't put any great concrete faith in the numbers we give to missions.

As you say, the categories are very broad (and you're right, they're not necessarily that applicable). However there are a lot of things in a OFP mission that are hard to quantify.

All that unquantifyable stuff like 'fun' and 'gameplay' is rolled up into the mission score.

For a concise idea of how good the mission is, read the whole review ;)
The number can unfortunately be fairly arbitrary sometimes

But I'd like to echo Macca's sentiment... thanks for the feedback. :)

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2005, 14:36:06 »
Uf, why such fuss about that scoring anyway!? I will play the mission if it receives 0/10 or 10/10, then I will decide if is good or not (playable, ejoyable...). I don't really care how mission is rated, I'm not slave to it.

Like my cat says: it's matter of taste, then she licks herself between the legs. ;)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2005, 15:38:55 »
Uf, why such fuss about that scoring anyway!? I will play the mission if it receives 0/10 or 10/10, then I will decide if is good or not (playable, ejoyable...). I don't really care how mission is rated, I'm not slave to it.

Because it's boring to download missions from other sites to find out they're in another language or they're not working or they need 200 addons without proper documentation or they are just another half-ass 30 minute job. Try to find one decent mission without looking through a billion pages at ofp.cz for example.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2005, 16:16:30 »
@dmakatra

What you're pointing out is another problem, it has (should) nothing to do with the mission scoring (only a half-ass 30 minute job fits in that category). In that case - if the author is so sloppy, that he don't mention all the addons, links to them, etc - I will just not play the mission.