Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: multiple roles  (Read 372 times)

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
multiple roles
« on: 16 Oct 2004, 23:25:45 »
hello
Can sombody tell me how to make it so you can choose what unit you want to be before a mission starts.

eg: there is a soviet town needing to be captured the A10s will take out the armor and bomb it before the infantry move in and capture it.

how would i make it so before the mission starts you can choose weather u want to be an A10 or an infantryman.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:multiple roles
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2004, 23:45:44 »
You could fake this by making a MP mission, but intended for only one player.   With some fancy scripting you could probably make the mission exit if two humans attempted to play it as a co-op.

If you wanted to keep it SP, making the player start in different places or different groups is straightforward.     You could certainly start with the mission a dialogue which setPossed the player to a particular place depending on his choices.   However, the hard bit would be his clothes - you're pretty much stuck with one player unit which means one outfit.     Again, you could perhaps fake it by making a fake campaign:  one input to the dialogue runs the mission, the other ends the mission and starts the next mission inthe campaign, which is in fact the same mission but played from a different perspective.

Nice idea, hope you can make it work.   Whatever you do, it's going to be sophisticated.   I recommend you make the basic mission first - say with an infantryman player - and once it's finished, start on this problem.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

m21man

Re:multiple roles
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2004, 00:26:48 »
Hmm. Well, you can't change the player's model ingame, so you're limited to choosing between roles that will all look good with one model. Maybe you could select a role within the squad, such as designated marksman, grenadier, or radioman. That's just a matter of adding specialized weapons.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2004, 00:28:45 by m21man »