Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Editors Center Side Menu  (Read 2043 times)

DBR_ONIX

Editors Center Side Menu
« on: 10 Oct 2004, 15:40:51 »
Hey
I know theres been a few posts about it (Can't see any with a quick look), but the menu side bar thing won't expand on
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/index.php

I'm using Internet Explorer v6.0.28..

Any reason it's not working? ::)
- Ben

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Editors Center Side Menu
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2004, 15:59:12 »
It's a browser/firewall issue.

Try logging out of ofpec and back in again.    Change firewall setttings, deleting old cookies, that kind of thing.  I don't know if anybody ever figured out exactly what causes it.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2004, 15:59:38 »
It might have something to do with your security and privacy settings in IE.

A simple way to get them to expand is to be logged out from OFPEC, they usually expand ok when you are logged out.

I myself don't have this problem, even when I used IE, which I don't now, I use Mozilla.

Hmmmm........26 seconds macguba

Planck
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2004, 16:00:24 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2004, 14:03:46 »
Thanks
I got Sygate personal firewall, and Avast antivirus, neither of which are that, erm, overly secure, if you see what I mean (Like NIS, if you shut them down, it won't allow anything like IE to work)
I can download stuff from the editors depot alright
And if I log out, the menus expand  ???
Its slightly weird  ::)
- Ben

Kammak

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2004, 00:50:11 »
It is extremely annoying.  When logged out, everything works. When logged in, nothing works.

I suggested many months ago that they quit trying to be clever with menus and just put in plain, static, HTML links...that would fix it for everyone.

As it is now, I cannot edit or even depot submissions.

I have to log out, navigate to the correct item, copy the URL, then log back in, paste in the URL, then edit it.

Plain HTML links would solve this permanently.  Please please please please.

BTW - its not a firewall issue, nor a cookie issue. Happens on computers that have never been to this site before, not OS dependant either, not related to MSIE security settings.  I've checked all this.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2004, 03:40:54 »
Well Kammak.....

I don't have any of these problems.

I don't have to log out to expand the menus.
I can submit anything without problems and can also download from the site without problems.

I don't use IE, I use Mozilla, but even when I did use IE, I still didn't have any of those problems.

Planck

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2004, 13:01:10 »
The links are very plain HTML, no javascript, no "DHTML", nothing like that.

OFPEC cannot be responsible for firewalls in use by our users. I have a very restrictive firewall setting in my firewall, and I can still use the menues as they are supposed to be used, logged in or not.

Edit
And the only thing that we've found in testing that differs between users who can and cannot use the menues is firewall settings and/or a webcache installed by the users ISP.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2004, 13:02:13 by KTottE »
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Kammak

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2004, 19:16:27 »
So why not just get rid of the collapsing menus, and put plain links to the Editors Depot resources, even when the user is logged in?

The problem is with all the lines that have the link:

"index.php?toggle=

Everything else works.  When logged out, OFPEC gives you all the links to Ed Depot stuff...leave it that way when folks log in as well and the problem goes away.

If this is truly an ISP issue, then it can't be fixed by users, but it can still be fixed by OFPEC.  Its not a firewall issue.  There is no firewall on the computer I'm typing this.  When I'm behind a $2k firewall box its the same.

So the only other issue that Kotte suggested is ISP caches.  I doubt that one, as I should have issues with other sites, and I don't...but even if that is the case, OFPEC can fix it easiest by just getting rid of the menu links and showing all the resources links, all the time.

Kammak

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2004, 19:22:20 »
Well Kammak.....

I don't have any of these problems.

I don't have to log out to expand the menus.
I can submit anything without problems and can also download from the site without problems.

I don't use IE, I use Mozilla, but even when I did use IE, I still didn't have any of those problems.

Planck

I'm happy for you Planck.  But other people do have this problem.  It has been mentioned numerous times by me and others.  The only reason anyone complains is because we appreciate this site and the outstanding content it has...I want it to work right.  I don't want to jump through hoops just to edit an ed depot resource, for example.

Its very annoying when trying to help people on the forums, as I can't keep a reply open, browse in a second window and find a snippet or download to link for them, for example.  Gotta end the forum session, log out, refesh, find the ed depot link, log back in, go back into the forums, find the message....etc....about five minutes worth of changes to the html would fix it, for everyone.

Edit: RE: "...about five minutes worth of changes..."
That was *really* stupid of me to say.  Sorry.  I'm sure it would take longer than that, and probably require edits on quite a few pages.  I think that change is the best solution for this issue, but it was dumb of me to downplay the amount of work involved.  Sorry.  :-[
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2004, 21:44:23 by Kammak »

Offline hubba

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2004, 02:03:19 »
Working on a fix for this so please stand by. It's in betatesting right now :)

/HuBBa

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2004, 03:22:37 »
Just as a minor clarification:
OFPEC can fix it easiest by just getting rid of the menu links and showing all the resources links, all the time.
We bought in the collapsing menu's because people complained about having too many resources on show. ;)

But HuBBa's fix should make both sides happy at last. :)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline hubba

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2004, 17:23:05 »
Ok. new menu is in place.

Remember one BIG change though.

Unlike before you now actually have to CLICK on the save default if you want the menu to save it's expand/collapsed setting. Before those two buttons were actually pretty useless since it always saved when you clicked on expand/collapse.

Hope it works for all now :)

/HuBBa

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2004, 22:11:16 »
Well......it works fine on my end, but then, it always did anyway.

Lets hope everyone else is having the same experience now.

Planck

Kammak

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2004, 05:22:40 »
THANK YOU!!   :D

It works like a charm now!

Thanks a bunch

:D