Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sideway rolls?  (Read 2407 times)

veston pants

Sideway rolls?
« on: 28 Aug 2004, 19:21:05 »
Does anyone know if there are troop units that'll do a roll left/right whilst in the lying position? It'd be much better than shimmying across the ground on their bellies like it is at the mo', and you'd cover ground a bit quicker aswell.

Also, does anyone know of addons that animate smokin' tabs whilst at ease? just  for a bit of realism..

Cheers..

DBR_ONIX

Re:Sideway rolls?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2004, 21:08:43 »
Yeah, acctualy :)
You can make a new anim in OFPAnim, and replace the one in Anim.PBO (Or is it anims.pbo)
:D
- ben

veston pants

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2004, 22:51:32 »
what?

*scratches head*

There are units that roll or units that smerk tabs?

or even units that roll their own *groans*

You'll ave to forgive me, I only bought OPF a month ago, and have not a clue what your on about... :)

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2004, 22:57:53 »
Onix is talking about making your own animations LOL. I've been addon editing for 2 years and OFP anim still scares the sh!t out of me  :-\ :-[ :'(

AFAIK there are no units that can roll...i recall there being something about making idle soldiers have a sly fag though.....i'll try and find it....if it exists..... ::)

Welcome to the OFP community BTW. ;D

veston pants

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2004, 15:31:07 »
Thanks  :)

So as a addon creator do you think you'd possibly have a go at making, or even better altering the current official troop units in the game to roll Pathy/Onix/anypeep?
Being able to roll out from behind a wall and pick off a couple of guards then roll back into cover would be pretty top stuff.

Cheers.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2004, 16:36:14 »
If you just want human players to roll, it's a lot more simple :)
You make up two anims, one rolling right, one left..
Then you make a config up (Simple enough)
And a script..
rolling.sqs

With something like this :
Code: [Select]
_unit = _this select 0
_way = _this select 1
?(_way == "left"): GOTO "rollleft"
?(_way == "right"):GOTO "rollright"
EXIT

#rollleft
_unit playmove rollleft
EXIT
#rollright
_unit playmove rollright
EXIT

Thats a more complicated way, but it only needs one script ;)

Then add this to the players INIT field :
Code: [Select]
this addaction ["Roll Left",{[this,"left"] exec "/rolling/rolling.sqs"}]; this addaction ["Roll Right",{[this,"right"] exec "/rolling/rolling.sqs"}];

Then all we have to do is check if the unit is prone (I'm still waiting on a function that does that... ;)), and if not, exit the script.. But it doesn't matter for a test

- Ben

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2004, 17:07:53 »
Not bad onix  :) Downside is, it needs to be activated throught the action menu, and wont just happen when you try and move left or right while prone  :)
Hmmm youd also have to get an animator to do the anims though  :)

Mountain

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2004, 11:58:09 »
There is one unit that has this built in, the Singapore Armed Forces soldiers automatically roll when you are prone and hit right or left.

veston pants

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2004, 14:39:44 »
There is one unit that has this built in, the Singapore Armed Forces soldiers automatically roll when you are prone and hit right or left.

So could anyone possibly (or want to) modify the current units in OFP/Rez to do this?
I was thinking if in a prone position hittin L/R will cause the unit to shimmy, but if hitting L/R whilst holding the sprint key you could cause the unit to roll would be top notch.
I would look into modifying units myself but already have too much on board just learning how to mission build, takin on another tute at this mo' in time would cause my i's to bleed and brayyyn to implode...:)

Cheers to anyone who fancies havin a go at making these, hopefully summat like it will be incorporated in OFP2.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2004, 17:16:44 »
You could do something that when ever you press the L and R buttons (I.E A and D)
You roll that way.. You just have to edit the Dta/Anim.pbo file with your new anim (You could edit the existing ones, acctualy)
But for the pressing Shft button and rolling.. Unless there is two sideways crawls (Different speed), like there is with the forward/backwards, it's pretty-much impossible :(

The rolling left/right via action menu would be a good start though ;)
Just need a animator, which is the hard part :P
- Ben

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2004, 00:33:26 »
OFPanim is actually very easy to use. It isn't the best, it is very time consuming, and it can be frustrating due to a lack of features, but it is a simple program.

But the hard part, really, is the config.cpp for the animations.....
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2004, 17:20:47 »
Really? I find the CPPs easy  ::)
If I could just find the CPP that i had made up, it's really easy to edit..
Ugh, can't find it..
Anyway, if someone makes up the animation, I'd be more than happy to do the CPP for it ;)

Oh, theres an animation plugin for Maya that will give RTM files ;)
- Ben

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #12 on: 01 Sep 2004, 00:22:35 »
Really? I find the CPPs easy  

Good, maybe you can help me where others have just ignored me or been unable to help. I'll send you a PM with my problem.  :)
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #13 on: 01 Sep 2004, 19:16:02 »
..for simple anim cpps...
::)
I've replied to the PM, btw

And animators out there...?
Hmm, GB.. Can you make anims...  :-*
;)
- Ben

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #14 on: 01 Sep 2004, 21:14:40 »
Arg! I thought you said you found CPPs easy!?  :P Oh well, I don't think anyone truly understands anim configs like people understand addon configs. Yeah, I can use OFPanim OK, but the configs are the hard part....

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #15 on: 05 Sep 2004, 18:30:05 »
If you could make an anim for rolling left/right, I'll see what I can do with them ;)
Would be amazing if you could :-*
:P
- Ben