Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Q for the OFPEC mission reviewers  (Read 1256 times)

Kammak

Q for the OFPEC mission reviewers
« on: 17 Aug 2004, 01:14:14 »
Here's my issue - I have lots of missions I've made that I play myself, and in the description.ext I have weapons from several addons.  Most of the addons are not required for the mission, unless the player selects that weapon during the briefing.

What I would like to do is submit these missions, and keep the description.ext as is - so if a player has all the addons I have, he can select any of those weapons.  If he doesn't, OFP will just give a message at briefing load along the lines of "no entry <weaponxyz>" and those weapons won't appear in the briefing selection...but the mission still runs fine and does not crash.  All the weapons the player does have and that I've included in the description.ext will still show up.

Do the powers-that-be consider that an error - or is ok to submit such missions.

I really don't want to make two versions of every mission, one for me (with a full description.ext) and one for release (with a limited description.ext)...so if they won't accept missions with that message I'll probably just forget about submitting them.  No great loss either way!  :)

If I need to clarify what I'm asking please let me know, otherwise I await a reply.

Thanks

Kammak

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:Q for the OFPEC mission reviewers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2004, 01:27:49 »
Hey Kammak,

By no means will a working mission be refused from the depot. Error messages come and go, but if the mission is playable it's alright.
Oh well not alright, but no, the mission will not be marked as faulty because of that.  :)

Because it's an error message, intentional or not, it will reflect negatively to the score. Not necessarily a lot though. Just that the reviewer will not the error message and when he sums it all up after he's done playing he'll remember that error message and add it to the scores.  ;)
Not all is lost.

Kammak

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2004, 01:29:44 »
I decided to clarify my question anyway :)

I make mission.  In the description.ext I include weapons from bas_weap.pbo.  However, no unit on the map is initialized using weapons from bas_weap.pbo.

If the player doesn't select a weapon during the briefing from bas_weap.pbo, the pbo is never loaded and never required for the mission.

If that mission is run on someone's computer that doesn't have bas_weap.pbo, a brief message will appear at runtime stating some weapon can't be found, and the mission will continue loading.  All the weapons found in bas_weap.pbo will be removed from the briefing selection list.

No harm, no foul.

My concern is that someone will freak out about the message (no entry <xyzweapon> and state the mission is fouled up, when it isn't.  I just want to give the player the widest choice of weapons possible.

All the addons *required* for the mission to play are included in the "addons" section of the .sqm file.  Its just the "extra" addons that provide weapons for the player to choose from that I'm concerned about.

Kammak

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2004, 01:31:03 »
Thanks Artak.  Saw your post *after* my second post explaining the situation.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2004, 11:07:30 »
You should put a note in the readme explaining this, so that players will understand what's happening and not worry about the error message.    In the unlikely event that they have read the readme, that is.   ;D
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2004, 12:02:57 »
Ye, put it in overview or description of mission in Mission Depot.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat: