Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: IRC OFPEC channel, pfft.  (Read 2956 times)

ocnick

IRC OFPEC channel, pfft.
« on: 27 Jul 2004, 03:14:07 »
I was recently on the OFPEC channel on IRC, and boy was I disappointed.  I don't know if you guys sponsor, or monitor, or have anything to do with that, but it sure is a disgrace to this amazing website full of knowledge.  First of all, people on there seem to avoid helping somebody, and if they do, it seems like their made to do it in the most asshole way possible.  Second of all, it was almost impossible to chat in there because of this lame bot that posts a response to any word followed by a "?".

Here's my gripe.  I understand that editing vets are tired of hearing the same questions over and over.  But what is the point of having a chat room for something that is avoided within?

I'd like to hear somebody's opinion on this, even if it's to tell me to "READ THE F***ING TUTORIALS!".    :toocool:

Homefry31464

Re:IRC OFPEC channel, pfft.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2004, 03:35:59 »
I tend to agree with you on this one... I just recently joined in there, my only real gripe was that damn bot... it's more of a pain than anything else.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2004, 08:30:31 »
There's no bot in the #ofpec IRC channel other than the Q channel bot, and it doesn't post channel messages.
If you have kept logs of the incident, please forward them to me and I will deal with whomever was responsible for it.

The #ofpec IRC channel is not only for instant editing help, but it is a chatroom. That is, we talk about everything between heaven and earth. We tend to help people out with editing issues, as well as addon making issues. But when someone asks questions in the category of "How do I light a fire?", we do tend to become snippy, because you'd need to use a lot of figures to describe how many times these kinds of questions have been asked.

Even if I'd like to phrase it differently, you really ought to visit the editors depot before coming into the IRC channel searching for help. The IRC channel is for people who have already tried it, and can't seem to get it. Most people who come in there and ask for help want us to do it all for them. Not saying that you're one of these, Blunt, because I wasn't around when you came into the channel, but I hope you sympathise with the #ofpec channel regulars.

However, if someone is misbehaving and you feel offended by what they are saying to you, please forward a log of the incident to me (either on IRC, I usually go by the nickname kungtotte there, or on the forums through PM) and I will look into it.

Your IRC client should have some option for logging the conversation, look through the options and helpfile for your respective clients to find out how to do it. Otherwise you can simply mark the text in the chatroom and paste it directly into a textfile. Most IRC clients support direct copying, that is as soon as you have marked an area, it ends up in your clipboard, you do not have to press CTRL+C.

Thank you.
- KTottE.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2004, 10:15:27 »
Are you sure you were on Quakenet's #ofpec channel and not somewhere else maybe. The reason I'm asking is because I idle at #ofpec the most of my life time and have never seen this kind of bot that you're referring to. Maybe IrcNet or some other network has #ofpec channel too  ???
Not all is lost.

ocnick

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2004, 12:10:56 »
Yeah it was definitely quakenet.  I don't have a log, but I'll try to make one.  I just got kind of angry the other night cause I had a problem that would've taken 1 minute to answer, but instead I ended up searching through forums and tutes for hours.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the inconveniance of punching a few keys to help somebody out.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2004, 12:44:15 »
What Blunt is referring to is the character "RopottiRuttunen", which turns out to be Kegetys playing 'silly buggers''.

That occasion shouldn't reoccur, and if it does, will be dealt with.

The rest, KTottE explained very well. :)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Gooner861

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2004, 13:11:30 »
How do i get onto this chat? I dnt understand how to get onto it?

Cheers

Gooner

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2004, 13:31:25 »
Read this.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2004, 16:55:55 »
As it turns out, Kegetys wasn't playing 'silly buggers', the other people in #ofpec were. The bot will reply to any single-word questions. That is, one word and ending it with a questionmark. Multiple words can be joined together with a + sign.

Longer questions aren't affected at all, unless they use the + sign to concatenate the words.

So, if people would stop abusing the bot, it would be no worries. Ask questions that are longer than one word, and you will not be caught by the evil genious of this bot (which could actually be put to good use in the #ofpec room, answering editing related questions).

If Kegetys brings his bot back into the channel and I find that people are abusing it again, they will recieve an extended time-out from the channel.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

ocnick

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2004, 18:41:30 »
That's exactly what I was talking about.  Thanks for hearing me out.

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2004, 18:44:14 »
Ok u ppl i appologize to u all for playing with Keg's bot, most of it was my fault  ;D, sorry about that couldn't help myself, but what would be really helpfull is if it could answer ofp questions, wich it couldn't (beleave me i tried ;) ) to bad.

Again sorry, no one asked any editing questions btw, so no need to answer any ;)
Get those missions out there you morons!

Homefry31464

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2004, 05:30:43 »
I'm going to have to take back the part about it not being helpful, I got plenty of addon help from people on there with no fuss..

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2004, 20:25:10 »
So, uh, what is the point in the bot? What sort of questions can it answer?
- Ben

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #13 on: 01 Aug 2004, 23:00:52 »
I thought it was kinda funny. :P And I don't think it was the bot causing problem, the thing I think is causing problems is that 90 % of all users in the IRC channel doesn't even know what OFPEC is. That's the way I've experienced it anyway.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Homefry31464

« Reply #14 on: 02 Aug 2004, 03:06:15 »
From my recent encounters there I got all the help I needed, for a config file mainly... as long as you ask a question that isn't in the FAQ, you will most likely get some help there.  It just seems like a place for people to join together and talk, but the people who are normally in there help when you need it.