Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Horror campaign (dont laugh, im serious!)  (Read 6491 times)

Peter haroski

Horror campaign (dont laugh, im serious!)
« on: 25 Jul 2004, 20:30:40 »
Ok, this might sound weard, but I have noticed, that new "resident evil" type missions have been released, and quality of those is quite high, so, whole campaign of this sounds great.  Examble, you are NATO soldier, and you work in garrison in Everon, just after war. This needs creepy  sounds, and other weard stuff. Whole island group has suffered from very bad weather, and islands have communication errors. Then will civilians start to fear, and horrible storys of zombies "example" have been told. And in one ugly day, patrols find whole "nearest" town complitely empty. All patrols sended farer have dissapred, and radio is broken. Then its your turn in quard, in the night....       Ok, this sounds very weard, but with good mission maker, it might be VERY interesting campaign. Don't say that im crazy, I know :)

Dubieman

Re:Horror campaign (dont laugh, im serious!)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2004, 22:15:28 »
Its perfectly sane. ;)
The idea, I don't know about you... :D

I posted an idea like this a while back...

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=17599

I quit making the mission as I didn't know jack back a while ago. I think I could try it now, but I don't fell like doing it. Someone more expierenced.... :P

Gooner861

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2004, 23:58:21 »
Sounds good to me  ;D .

Will definetely need to work hard though on getting the rite atmosphere. U mite make a good mission but if the atmosphere aint there than its not gonna create the rite feeling for the player.

Good idea, way different to the usual West vs East type missions.

Peter haroski

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2004, 10:42:34 »
Those zombies should be bloody, and in two first mission, there should not be zombies, mission of those should be to get player to right atmosphere, then in mission number three....

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2004, 02:45:03 »
I've just got into config editing and I LIKE it !  ;D  :o   I am also ad ab hand at scripting (if I do say so myself !), so how about this for an idea . . .

Make a new unit type - class zombie.  Make 3-4 different variants, some with flesh a bit green (different face textures), some with hanging bits (different models).

Now the fun part !  Give them about three times the hit points of the average human and add an event handler that heals all of their (non-fatal) damage.  This shuld mean that the only way to kill them would be from head hits or heavy weapons !  ;D  :gunman:  :beat:

Make them always stand and never flee and then run a script (which I *ahem* have already written) that makes them home in on your position for a stroke fist attack !  Give them Limited movement and Safe status and they should endlessly lumber towards you seeking brains !

Chuck in a group respawn script, some shotguns, some pistols and the occasional pipe bomb and I can see a fun Saturday night's massacre !   :D

I love OFP - it's all doable !

Roni

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2004, 03:15:47 »
One of the face packs had a zombie face. It was stop dead ugly with a nasty cringe and was white as a ghost. I scared all the MP players away... :D ;D

New zombie addons, are they going to be dumber than the current AI or smarter? :D ;D

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2004, 03:27:48 »
New zombie addons, are they going to be dumber than the current AI or smarter?

Which one would you rather !  ;D

I wrote a script that constantly enemy units directly onto your position.  It's a simple tweak to send them directly to a point on your left or right until they get within a certain range.  That way they would circle around your flank (in their zombie-like way !) before closing in for the kill.  :o

It could be neat running out the back of a house and running smack into some flanking undead sneaking in through the back door !

Rags

"Dad - you killed the zombie Flanders !"
"He was a zombie ?"

:D

« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2004, 03:30:27 by Roni »

Dubieman

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2004, 04:20:25 »
I liked that episode.

* homer dances naked in the church*
zombie wiggum:We just want to eat your skin....

hehe I like that one, I haven't seen a halloween version in a while... :(

On topic: Some zombies should have very inaccurate weapons like kozlices or something bad so they aren't all strokefisting you, that looks stupid, a bunch of zombies all going *grab head and twitch my whole torso to the right like an eptilectic fit...* :P

If they could decently flank and ring you in, they'd already be smarter than the current AI... :D ;D

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2004, 04:35:14 »
Anyone know how to make new animations ?

I think we'd need a "step forward and grapple", a "two handed smash", a "grab for the throat" and maybe a "crawl and slash".

This could be great !  Does ANYONE know how to make new animations ?

:P

Roni

Peter haroski

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2004, 10:12:39 »
Ok, firstly, is there anybody who want s to do this? And those zombies doesn't need be slow, not even new units, bloody units, well, they are weak, but if ther is many zombies, and one can get behind you..... And infact we doesn't nerd new animations, old "throw" animations, or "medic" animations, or something are god enough if used. And if those zombies can jump?
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2004, 10:13:40 by Peter haroski »

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2004, 11:28:14 »
I'd be happy to give it a try, but it'll have to wait a week or so while I sort out my other major projects (and my work and family commitments !).

Knowing what I know now, it shouldn't be too hard to do so long as I use standard models, animations and the existing zombie face pack (any volunteers to provide or point out where I can find ?).  I can do the config editing, the custom sounds and the event handlers and or packaged scripts.

What I'm thinking is (say) four new unit types, ranging from the freshly killed to the grossly putrid.  Freshly killed may even come in East, West, Civilan amd Resistance versions so you could make up your own "zombie plague is eating my squad" type scenarios.  A zombie with an RPG ? Gah !  :o

The frshly killed will be slower than normal with lower skill and limited restrictions.  The putrid dead could be almost unstoppable short of high explosive weapons but be restricted to limited movement, seek and grab type behaviour.

Actually, I really could imagine a whole mes of "zombie plague" type scenarios, starting with the surprise appearance of freshly dead and ending with a mission involving lined up M1's against a horde of shambling putrid horrors !

:noo:  :gunman:
                   :beat:  :beat:  :beat:
:noo:  :gunman:

Now if someone could just point me towards this zombie face pack . . .

Roni
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2004, 11:34:37 by Roni »

Karik

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2004, 17:11:34 »
Horror campaign sounds good, or at least few horrormissions. :) Here is a suggestion; I once was playing a mission which started in misty field with low visibility and wolves howling. So how about a werewolf-addon? Here has been some good ideas what could be used in werewolves; fast, strong and healing from non-deadly wounds.

American werewolf in Nogova! ;)

Peter haroski

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2004, 18:52:37 »
Right that might be one one mission, and zombies are much easier to script, but what about creepy "RÄYH" in woods near by, and in that mission there might be that "Alamo" scripting, you need to build safe cover before the night  ;)
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2004, 18:52:59 by Peter haroski »

Dubieman

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2004, 23:40:11 »
Roni take a romp through the facepacks. I delted that zombie one a while back. Its reg pack with only one zombie face. :'( But I thought it said it included it or the review said so.... :P

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2004, 01:25:55 »
Okay, I'm on the job !  :joystick:

Actually, I don't really ned the zombie face pack.  Who needs that when all I really need is one standard face jpeg (ugly) and Paintshop pro (version 3.1 nonetheless !) ?  ;D  A bit of green here, a bit of red there, a warp and a smear or two and bob's yer uncle !  :)  =>   :beat:  !!

I am currently finalising a "Lost and Desperate" type scenario.  One of the scripts continually sends the pursuing Russians towards your last known position, which gets more and more accurate the closer they are and the more they know about you (ie knowsAbout rating).

The script sends you clues about how close they are via playsounds.  If they are within 400m you get a crowcall, within 200m you get voices and within 50m you get loud voices (via the unit "say" command).

It's kind of scary hearing the crows because you know that they're getting close.  It's even scarier when you get crow call, crow call, crow call and then loud voices (WTF ? !  :o ).

The script could be REALLY easily edited to play distant wolf howls, nearby snarling and in-yer-face roaring instead.  Like all scripts this one is very small so I've attached it here - you'll need to find your own sounds or email me to send the default ones to you.

I know that this really should be in the scripts forum but I will be posting the whole lot in the next day or two so there you are.

Happy hunting !

Roni