Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: The beginning of WW2  (Read 1720 times)

Tomasz

The beginning of WW2
« on: 24 Jun 2004, 10:28:08 »
Hi guys,

in making missions for OFP, we tend to think of operations like in Normandy, or the Cold War crisis; where the two sides were superpowers. I find it necessary, however, to show not only the fall of Berlin, or the invasion in Normandy, but as well the real beginnig of World War Two. Gdańsk ( or better known as Danzig), Poland, a city half German, and half Polish in 1939, saw the first true battle in the war; specifically the Westerplatte district.

So what do u think about it? Does it have any real future?

First of all the Polish and German armies from 1939 should be made as well as the Gdańsk island.

I find it as one of the most important events during the war, mates, and I think that we owe those Polish soldiers who blocked the Germans for many days something. I would be proud if the idea would become a real mission on September 1st, 2004, the 65th anniversary of the beginning of World War Two.

I am saving any short or longterm outcome of this forum as the founder of this idea.

Tomasz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:The beginning of WW2
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2004, 16:53:38 »
You always have to be careful about battles in cities:  OFP isn't very good at it.    Much better to have a battle in open ground.

Like the Danzig corridor idea though.    The OFP community concentrates far too much on the same few things.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Loup-Garou

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2004, 18:56:10 »
Good idea. Too many people seems to forget that americans and english soldiers didn't fight "alone" (even if they had a very important role ; no "french bashing" please  ;D  ;D). So, do not hesitate to make WW2 missions about polish, french, belgian, czechs (I've head that they had a quite big army in the beginning of WW2), yugoslavs and so on... ;).

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2004, 19:20:25 »
What? There were britts in Europe? ::) ;D

Anyway, while we are at the subject, uhm, anyone know an eastern front mod? The only one I've downloaded was completley in russian. It was kinda cool anyway but since there are no missions for it you wanna play the campaign and thats kinda hard when you dont know what to do. :-\

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Loup-Garou

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2004, 19:31:36 »
Was it "Liberation 1941-1945" ? If it is, I tought it was in english (but I believe that the authors are russian)... ???.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2004, 19:59:29 »
My version is extremly russian.

There were parts of it that was english though, like editor names and readme I belive. Rest is russian (including the homepage!) .

Tomasz

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2004, 20:12:48 »
Hi,

guys, you are going in the wrong direction. I don't want to have anything to do with the Soviet Union here. I find it important, for ppl never even mentioned the hardships of Poland during the War. We already talked about the Soviet Union, Germans, Allies, but never about Poles. And the statistical truth is that Poland was the fourth biggest force fighting against the Axis behind the US, UK, and the USSR ( not the French ). They fought on each front in Europe. They were the best pilots in the Battle of Britain, they fought in Africa and Italy, they fought together with the Russians, and they even had their own armored division in Normandy, commanded by General Maczek. We owe them respect and we can show that by outlining them from between the other superpowers. Don't talk about the USSR in this thread, this is dedicated for the Poles, who contributed on a very large scale to the defeat of the Third Reich.

Now, Gdansk ( or Danzig) was a much bigger affair than the Pegassus Bridge, because only few Polish soldiers (182 this is together with civilian workers ), under heavy air and neval bombardement, stopped the German forces ( couple of thousands ) until they ran out of amunition. And due to the fact that they defended an amunition storage site, that took a while ( 7 days) .

It is our sacred responsibility to show this great act of courage and will to fight of those Polish soldiers in OFP. I understand that OFP is not for street fighting, but with a pack of scripts, it is possible to make a fine resemblance of history.

Tomasz

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2004, 20:54:06 »
Wasn't there a Polish Brigade along with the 1st British Airborne Division in Operation Market Garden? I would find that very intresting, isn't I44 Mod Team working on britt units as well? Maybe use them along with new Polish dudes.

Tomasz

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2004, 20:58:36 »
Hi,
yes indeed, sorry to leave that out. Actually, the Poles were dropped onto Arnhem, where Montgomery never managed to get. The commander, General Sosabowski, held the town much longer than the mission expected, waiting for the relief, that never came.

Nice point there Armstrong :D

Tomasz

Loup-Garou

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2004, 11:35:22 »
If you want street fighting, there's also the uprising of the Varsovy ghetto. As far as I remember, it lasted about two months and the nazis lost about 1000 men. There were insurgents who managed to escape and who have continued the struggle.

Drozdov

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2004, 00:52:01 »
Also, it was Polish soldiers who finally captured the monastery at Monte Cassino, after numerous failed attacks. One thing I don't understand is how so many Poles managed to escape and continue the fight alongside the other Allies.

Anyway, in regards to the mission, it's a decent idea that Operation Flashpoint couldn't do justice to. City battles in Flashpoint are, in a word, shite. You'd need to do a hell-of-a-lot of house add-on creating to make the city look like a Polish town from 1939.