Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: objstatus done when person joins group  (Read 338 times)

Dubieman

objstatus done when person joins group
« on: 23 Jun 2004, 16:12:06 »
I know how to use "1" objstatus "DONE" and all that but I need an answer to my simple Q.

My player and his three squaddies are on a rescue mission, they have to infiltrate the base and get the captive out. Problem is, I need a trigger with a condition I can use. I tried something like   captive ingroup alpha but no luck and I'm stuck. :(

The other Q I have is since the player has to infiltrate the town/base the triggers around it are detected by triggers. If anyone has done this sorta mission, what is a good amount of time to pass before the guards just shoot the prisoner to keep him from getting rescued?

I know if its to little the difficulty goes way up and if too large the difficulty is too easy. :P

Ahh wait one more Q for you ppl then, one of my detected by triggers has the alarm on it. If the player manages to clear the base somewhat then the damn thing shouldn't be blaring in the backround, how do I shut it off after a while?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:objstatus done when person joins group
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2004, 16:25:14 »
1) Try:
? group hostage == playergroupname

2) I would recommend a random number around 10 secs or so. Kinda depends on the enemy groups largeness. Also, give it a boost for people in cadetmode.

3) No idea. Seen it in a thread somewhere though, try search.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Dubieman

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2004, 16:30:39 »
1.) okay I'll give that a try

2.) 10 secs? I think I'll test it myself actually to see what number challenges me and what doesn't. Its a kinda large base with perimeter patrols runnig far away....
So I can set some features only for cadet mode and only for vets? I'll look it up. :P

3.) ok searching away :)
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2004, 16:32:03 by GuiltyRoachKilla »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2004, 16:37:45 »
2)  Totall depends on circumstances.   Lots of playtesting required.    Make your squad invincible and find the fastest possible time.   Now temporarily add a couple of extra guards (to account for the fact that you know what's where) and try it alone, taking your time a little.    That's the longest possible time.    

There is a reserved variable, I think it's cadetMode, which returns true if the player is a Cadet.    So you could have two triggers, one say 10s, and the other say 12s+cadetmode.

3)   Create a trigger, set to repeatedly

Condition:   alarmOn
Effects:  that wretched alarm sound

Now you can control the alarm by setting the variable alarmOn to true/false.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Dubieman

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2004, 16:46:31 »
2.) Good idea Macguba, I'll try it.

3.) That will work surely, I haven't tested anything yet since I'm still here talkin, but I found this old thread by Seal84 bout detected triggers. I found a solution that works even better I think. It uses four triggers and simulates the delay between the finding the enemy and reporting to the base.

I post it here so you guys can correct anything so I don't come back later whining that it didn't work. :)

Posted by Rokket

Seal, this does work (I use it) even tho countdowns are in it. It's from some tut, I think it was the Edit Ref in PDF format from a ways back. This will give you the delay and seem a bit more realistic.

requires 4 triggers (repeat #3 and #4 for each sentry area, with diff names)

#1 ALARMSOUND (this simulates a bullhorn speaker, I usually put at main base area)
1 x 1 (or whatever)
Repeat
TYPE: none
Present
Countdown (put in what you want, I usually go for between 10-30 secs - those are seconds markers in trig Min/Med/Max)
FX: alarm sound from effects menu
CONDITION: alarm

#2 ALARMOFF (this is the off switch, right next to "alarm")
same as above mostly, but:
COUNTDOWN (however long you want alarm to sound - I always figure in real life somebody'd turn it off after awhile, maybe 30-60 secs)
CONDITION: alarm
ON ACTIVATION: alarm=false

#3 ALERTSENTRY
Repeat
SIZE: as big as the area you want to cover (I use what you can see from the sentry point for distance), usually make elipse so as to not cover obstructions - like a hill or something)
ACTIVATION: West DETECTED by East (like you were saying, because this is more real than an automatic trip)
Countdown
COND: this
ON ACTIV: alertsentry1=true

#4 SENTRY
Repeat
same size as #3, placed right on top of #3
Present
Countdown
CONDITION: alertsentry1 AND ((alive loon1) OR (alive loon2)) AND alive radio1
ON ACTIV: alarm

EFFECT of all that:

West trips trigger, if East detects, after a countdown and at least one loon is alive and the radio is alive, then "alertsentry1" becomes true, and this makes "alarm" true, which makes the actual alarm trigger scream. At same time, the alarmoff trigger starts, but doesn't come into effect for X seconds, and when it does, it turns "alarm" to false, so alarm stops. This is more real as you were saying: East spots West, takes some seconds to make radio call to base (or run to Office or something), then once base gets the alert msg, takes some seconds to turn on alarm itself.

This really does work. You can make more or less complicated.  Have a designated radio operator report back to base, etc. I've added a radio, so if West kills just the radio itself, there can be no alarm

The tut talked about making even more complex by putting in a callback thing, where base checks in every 15 mins, if no response, alarm. I haven't opted for that.

I use #3 and #4 for each sentry point, covering an area, rather than just one big trig blanketing everything (beause of the obstructions and the interest of more realism.)

I hope this helps. If you have trouble, I can put it into a tiny sample mission and you can see the countdowns do work.  Good luck.