Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: The Addon List  (Read 1672 times)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
The Addon List
« on: 06 Apr 2004, 18:50:58 »
First of all, I would like to complain a little how bad you guys are to state all your addons directly on OFPEC instead of in your readme file. There's nothing worse than you downloading a large mission on a crappy connection and than find out that you need 100 addons with a total size of 11 Terabytes.

Second, all you great reviewers, if there should be such a mission like above, could you edit the addon list for the mission or at least note it in your review? Cheers!

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:The Addon List
« Reply #1 on: 06 Apr 2004, 20:07:41 »
Are you saying that there are missions which have no addons listed in the readme? Or are you saying that there are missions that require addons which are not listed in the mission details in the depot?

The first can be, because the submission rules nowhere say that the readme must have the addons and URL's. It's just said that the info on addon names and URL's must be provided in the submission process.
This means that the info can be missing from the readme, but most certainly is in the mission details - otherwise the mission will not be reviewed.

If you're saying that there are missions that lack the info and links to some addons in the mission details, then it's the reviewers mistake. This can happen if the person who submitted the mission didn't insert the data when submitting the mission, and it's left for the reviewer to insert them into the mission details.

I don't know if I'm making any sense.. here goes in short.

Addons should be listed in readme.txt.
Addons must be listed in the mission details at OFPEC.
if
Addons aren't in the listed in readme.txt, the author has inserted the data himself.
Addons aren't listed in the mission details at OFPEC, the reviewer has made a mistake.
Not all is lost.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 06 Apr 2004, 20:13:22 »
I am saying that the author does not put in the addons in the mission details, only in readme, which has happend to me like a billion times the last week. As I said before, it's a pain in the big sliced thing when you're sitting on a connection like me. :)

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 2004, 20:46:52 »
Right. That's what I thought you said.  :)

If my memory serves me correctly, the thingy where you add the names and links of addons is broken at the moment. Don't sue me if it's not.

Also, the ones on the pendings list we can't do much about, but if there's a reviewed mission that has bad links to addons we'd want to know about it. Naturally some links go bad in time because websites change hosts ect. but still, if you know a bad link, we'll fix it if we find a replacement link for it ;)
Not all is lost.

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2004, 22:41:23 »
I would hazard a guess that a large number of missions from the very old pages have bad or broken links to missions. Maybe even links to addons that arn't available anymore or obselete.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2004, 20:13:42 »
THat's what happened to me sort of. Well my links kinda dissappeared and you guys labeled it bad links no review, and well what the hell! Anyways you should fix that. Your not totoally to blame cause I am having problems with Winzip and the readme seemed to have escaped the zipping process, I guess I gotta resubmit....
argh :P ::) :(

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2004, 15:54:08 »
There's another reason, why it could happen that e.g. a
reviewer could fail pointing out that an addon wasn't listed
by the author.

Let's say: one makes a mission, uses some addons but forgets
to mention a few.

Now the reviewer does his job, but because he has the addons,
which the author didn't mention, already installed, he doesn't
recognize that the mission contains addons which were not
mentioned by the author.

You get what i mean  ;)

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline desper8

• Members
  • REBEL Council member
    • http://rebel.clanzone.at/board/
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2004, 19:02:39 »
well screw the author for not informing

im fed up of it happening to me
i have 56k and its not nice wen u get missions DLed
that it eventully asks for addons

i make missions for a small community
and i always clearly state addons needed

i think som one has to take charge of quality control here
coz there are damaged goods here
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2004, 19:03:50 by desper8 »
friendly clan battle any one?
PM me

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2004, 21:55:52 »
i think som one has to take charge of quality control here
coz there are damaged goods here

desper8,

The Mission Depot staff are doing a fine job, yet your statement implies a lack of ethic on our part.

The pending missions are "quality undetermined", so they're hardly any worse than the unreviewed missions held at numerous other sites (I don't see you making similar claims at their sites...).

The only missions where you could judge the quality of OFPEC's work, are the reviewed ones.
And they only get reviewed if the addons are able to be located.
If they aren't, the mission gets rejected and the author notified.

Given that the fault lies with the author, not the reviewers, I suggest you reword or revoke that statement, given its innuendo places fault where there is none.
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline desper8

• Members
  • REBEL Council member
    • http://rebel.clanzone.at/board/
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2004, 00:33:07 »
OK OK im sorry

i dunno why i wrote that end part  :-[
friendly clan battle any one?
PM me