Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Defensive Strike  (Read 18242 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:A Defensive Strike
« Reply #90 on: 26 Jul 2004, 14:34:08 »
Please read Reply #95 at the end of this thread.     Thank you.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Tarados Qeng

« Reply #91 on: 28 Jul 2004, 17:42:53 »
Downloaded it and going to try.

Edit; Day one -

Intro - First I feel bit confused. Boring view, when camera starts moving it's veery slow. Then, a T80. Great, something happens at last. Zooms to the base. It is huge. Impressive amount of tents and stuff there, by the way. Overall, intro was kinda okay, the beginning was a little boring.

Briefieng - Good, notes section with lots of info is good. Nice gear, not too much, but enough.

Mission - Start in a chopper. Moving towards the landing area. Disembark with my squad. Retry. So soon? Well, later I noted that it is a good thing - I wouldn't like to wait in the chopper again and again. :)

Going towards the base. There are no patrols out there, so I just run. Then see the base. Take a look with binoculars. It's big. I'm supposed to capture with three men? Okaay. "I'm never gonna succeed!". I order my squaddies to engage at will at the same moment that I open fire on the patrol. We take them quickly and easily. I stand up and begin running towards the base. After 10 meters a M2 opens fire and I die before I can go prone again. Quite much same happens on the second time - I die.

Retry. I take another way, this time I come from left. I take out the patrol. Then move close to the base and save game. 5 second after that the Russians play alarm. Again I think "No way, this is not going to work". I start shooting. The russkies don't. Instead they just shoot flares and make it even easier to me to kill 'em. One by one me a my squaddies pick them. Somehow they manage to kill my buddies, but they don't even try to shoot at me. What's the skill level of these guys? Finally I get a radio message "they're fleeing". Hunh. Base captured.

Tried the second part of the mission, this far with little success. Trying again today.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2004, 10:41:19 by Tarados Qeng »

MuSe

« Reply #92 on: 29 Jul 2004, 12:28:17 »
not doing well tarados? you suck! :P Just use MP5's and proning to be quiet and undetectable.

Tarados Qeng

« Reply #93 on: 29 Jul 2004, 14:10:19 »
No, actually I think I'm doing quite well. I managed to capture the first base on third or fourth attempt, and I've tried the next part for just a couple of times.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #94 on: 29 Jul 2004, 18:51:20 »
Well I am on the sunny pan-handle of Florida sufferring from computer withdrawl until we found this internet cafe.

The first base is now quite difficult but it doesn't get much easier.  I restart if I have taken any casualties before getting to the main base.  The russians in the first base all have maximum skill level.  I think I should give them some more NVGoggles so they can see you better.  It is a pity but the flares are actually more help to you than they are to the russians

I deliberately made the intro 'peaceful' at the start so there would be a contrast with what comes later.

I will not be back to my computer for nearly 2 week yet.

Dubieman

« Reply #95 on: 29 Jul 2004, 19:12:14 »
Thobson-mission maker and forum poster who earns his keep roaming from one internet cafe to the next.  ;D :D
j/k

Have fun in the US.  ;)

Hey I might give you're mission a final try tonight when its dark casue I hate SF missions at night with the sun glaring in my window. >:( ;D
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2004, 19:14:43 by GuiltyRoachKillar »

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #96 on: 29 Jul 2004, 21:28:03 »
That's me.  I have now found a computer in our hotel.

I hope you enjoy it now. I have had a few ideas for little improvements that I will put in when I get back, then I think it is finished and I can then try some one else's mission.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #97 on: 23 Aug 2004, 00:59:27 »
This post is just to say an enormous THANK YOU.  When I first posted this mission here I had only just discovered how to do a bit of scripting, I had absolutely no idea how to put a picture in an overview or how to do an intro, I had no knowledge of arrays and all those {_x} constructs just blew my mind.  I really have learned so much over the last few weeks it has been incredible.  Thank you all, and especially thank you to macguba for his incredible patience and detailed comments and encouragement.

I have just done my latest 'final' run though of the mission and apart from adding voices for the radio chatter I can find nothing I want to change.  Some time ago I wrote out a script for the voices, it ran to several pages because there are so many things that can happen (kill the SCUDs before the shilkas, kill the shilkas before the SCUDs, helicopter gets shot down, Bravo wiped out - or not etc. etc.), though of course in anyone run through they will not all occur.  Work and family commitments mean that unfortunately this will need to remain undone.

So thank you all again for the help with this.  I really appreciate it.

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available from the Missions Depot.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2009, 01:30:56 by Walter_E_Kurtz »