Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Need help with scripting (I mean ANY scripting)  (Read 425 times)

Shodan

Need help with scripting (I mean ANY scripting)
« on: 25 May 2004, 21:33:23 »
Despite all the tutorials I have read (A whole wealth of them) I still can't make any missions including complex actions and -most especially- scripting.

???

Is everyone else a trained programmer? I've downloaded the commands but they make no sense and I still have trouble stringing any kind of script together. Despite this, every tutorial I have read assumes the reader has either never seen the editor before or knows everything except what the tutorial is attempting to explain.

I'm no programmer, so could someone PLEASE explain, in layman's terms how the hell I can use programming scripts?

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
Re:Need help with scripting (I mean ANY scripting)
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2004, 21:54:50 »
The best thing to do is examine some script done by others.  You can download a tool the decompresses .pbo files.  If you "unpbo" some mission files you can examine how thye did the scripting in those and get some good examples.  Also, some demo missions are already in accessible form, so these can be examined without the "unpbo" utility.  Also, you can examine scripts submitted in the editor depot.  These usually have demo missions accompanying them, so you can see the scripts in action, and you can change the scripts to see how this will affect the demo.  It does help to have at least some basic programing knowlege, so maybe you could get a book on fundament computer programing.  Reading about a simple computer language like BASIC will give you some good programing fundamentals.  But the best thing is to experiment.  Start with simple things, simple two or three line scripts to see what some of the commands do.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2004, 22:18:28 »
Lol I know EXACTLY how you feel.     ;)

Head over to the Editors Depot and get hold of the Tutorial Mission.    Play it first, then take it to pieces .... you will find some very simple scripts, which hopefully will help get you in the right direction.   Study the scripts there and try to understand them .... if you've taken the advice in the following paragraph and are still stuck, by all means post specific questions on this board.    

You've probably discovered them already, but just in case, the tutes to get you started on scripting are snYpir's Friendly Intro to Code Snippets and Johan Gustafsson's Scripting Guide.   When you've been through those read the Scripting Topics section of the command reference.    The next thing is to read the whole command reference like a book:  don't stop to understand every command, just get an idea of what's there.     The last bit is to go through the Unofficial command reference and the Comments in the online version of the official comref and look at the examples there.

And that's your toolkit.   It takes a little while for it all to come together, but you'll probably have a moment when you suddenly understand what's going on.   Good luck!
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Hauk

• Members
  • I sail under the Jolly Roger!! Pirates are kings!!
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2004, 23:48:33 »
Just a quick note recommending John Gustaffasons tutorial.
I put me on the right path ;D

Hauk