Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Boat in heli script?  (Read 1495 times)

SandVoss

Boat in heli script?
« on: 18 May 2004, 12:25:51 »
I've got an interesting addon idea. Sometimes special forces like SBS are picked up from the water by a Chinook helicopter. What this involves is that the pilot of the Chinook lowers the ramp of the helicopter, and then then the backside, until the ramp is in the water. Then the special forces can just slide into the helicopter with their zodiac or whatever inflatable they use. This would be awsome to do in OFP.

What you would basically  need is a Chinook that has a ramp that can be lowered. Next, the driver of the inflatable should be able in his action menu to choose to "get in back", of the helicopter, but with his boat, while him and the others in the boat stay in the boat. The boat basically would have to have the status of a unit, so he can be assigned to the cargo. The model of the Chinook, aside from the movable ramp, would need some other modifications to make it possible for the boat to be assigned as cargo. Maybe a towing script that allows it to carry cargo internally would work.

Anyone up to the challenge?  :D It would be an awsome addon.

DBR_ONIX

Re:Boat in heli script?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2004, 17:11:05 »
Sounds cool :)
Oh, the SEB Nam pack has the chinook with a lowerable ramp... :D

Maybe a trigger over the heli, and then delete the boat, and use something like what the C47 addon did with the Drop Supplies thing (The supply tubes dissapear from the plane when dropped), and make the zodiac thing in the cargo (Is that possible)

BTW, you could do a simple version that doesn't move the boat in cargo, just delete the vehicle, and move the "group moveincargo heli" thing (It's not that, but something like foreach group moveincargo heli.. Can't remeber the exact code)

Also, what about a boat that hangs underneath a heli (Black hawk?), and the pilot can drop it, and your team jumps out, and swims to the boats (CoC Swimmers code! :D)
If you don't know what I mean, look at the beggining video of Socom (PS2 game... Booo, ps2 :P), the heli swoops in, drops the boat, and about 5 seconds the SEALs jump from the heli into the water (Again, the CoC Swimmers would be perfect :))

Would also be cool for cutscenes :)

I can do basic addon editing (I guess I could maybe edit the Chinook, if I find a tutorial that covers placing proxys.. The Bresbb ones don't cover it much.. )

Oh, non totaly related, but I tried standing in the back of the chinook (SEB Nam one), by opening the ramp, running in while the AI pilot starts the rotars up and takes off).. But I fall strait though the floor, after about 1/2 a second :(
It's gotta be doable (Maybe a really thick invisible floor thing, so you can't fall though)??

This could be really cool :D
- Ben

Dubieman

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2004, 20:23:07 »
Ohh my friends have you not heard of the BAS MH47?
A lowerable ramp with a hold postion so you can run around inside and it can carry jeeps. (probably a zodiac should it be coded right) ;) ;) ::)

And PS2 boo!
I don't think so

OFP = all PS2 stuff
:thumbsup:

SandVoss

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2004, 04:50:18 »
Everyone sign a petition in which we'll force BAS to work on this idea. ;)

The thing is though, the boat should also be transported, not only the troops. And im mainly think off extractions, not insertions, although ofcourse an insertion would also be just as cool. You and your team (CoC Divers, *obviously*) could be dropped off with a boat off the coast of sum island, and then you could use your boat to get in even closer, and then the last bit you could swim, to completely avoid detection...

Jake Trans

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2004, 19:56:10 »
Great idea,
As you say should be quite easy
But if you think about it normal OFP vechicles work with the ramp so the helo would just need a command to drop lower.

(by the way I have never coding anything OFP so if i'm wrong i'm wrong)

I just use addons I don't have a clue how to make them

tHe s4lut3

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2004, 18:53:58 »
how about setting a soldier squadin the boat and letting the boat eject to the sea at low altitude?

SandVoss

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2004, 04:22:42 »
I dont think dropping off would be the biggest issue, but picking up boats is a whole different thing. And that would be preferable. Think of this scenario:

With your CoC divers you go really near the coast where the enemy is residing, a enemy port or base or whatever. You take your boat in as close as possible, the rest you swim, to avoid total detection. Then you blow up the target, kill whom needs to be killed, etc etc, and then follows the extraction. Swim back to the boat, and speed off to further off the coast, out of visual range, where you will be swiftly picked up by a Chinook. That would be awsome... 8)

Coldfire

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2004, 01:21:10 »
the problem with that is that you need to be able to get back in the boat, a CoC swimscript works like a vehicle.

A quote strait from the CoC Diver Readme:

The basics to make swimming in OFP possible are quite simple. Whenever a unit comes
below sea level, AND it is carrying the required swimming equipment (CoC_LAR7), it
spawns a vehicle (CoC_LAR7SWM), in which the unit is placed as driver.

The vehicle continually checks to see:
- If the player is still alive
- If the criteria to end the swimming process are met

Whenever one of these criteria is met, the vehicle destroys itself, leaving the unit
behind.

This system actually works very much like the normal Operation Flashpoint parachute.
The most noticable difference is that this system adds the feature of actually having
to carry the equipment, in order to use it.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2004, 23:16:01 »
the scroll that makes the MH carry a jeep (the cargo sling, below the bird) can be altered pretty
easy so that more types of vehicles incl. a boat/ferry/jumbo  ::) ;D can be carried.

just add the CLASSNAME of your zodiac to the list of vehicles in the arrays in that scroll.
I think its hidden in the "bas_cargo" pbo file ?!

but ya need to use the short rope, not the big one! so check yer arrays, and be sure to
tweak the height too for best appearance - it wouldn't rock to see a boat fly some eight
meters below the rope, heh... :P ::) or the other  way around, like if the zoddy crashes into the
bird or alike... oh no, sir.

Coldfire

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2004, 02:36:42 »

...Swim back to the boat, and speed off to further off the coast, out of visual range, where you will be swiftly picked up by a Chinook. That would be awsome... 8)

The point I was trying to make is since the swimmer is technicaly in a vehicle, you cant get back in the boat once your in the water.

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2004, 20:39:12 »
The point I was trying to make is since the swimmer is technicaly in a vehicle, you cant get back in the boat once your in the water.

wrong, this is OFP remember :)
It's possible, it's beta but it works. Not tested in MP tho...

check this :

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=27;action=display;threadid=16685
« Last Edit: 28 May 2004, 20:47:37 by Blanco »
Search or search or search before you ask.

Coldfire

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2004, 21:20:10 »
lol, guess that set me strait...  :)
either way, I think this is a great idea... maybe you could also make a big ship or maybe an oil rig to infiltrate?

Imagine: A Chopper drops a Zodiac into the water, the zodiac gets as close to an enemy destroyer as it can without being detected. The divers get out, swim to the side of the ship, climb up a rope ladder to the deck, and proceed to the engine room to plant some C4. then extract via zodiac boat and detonte the C4 remotly.