Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: WSS against OGG  (Read 1190 times)

Ehehe

WSS against OGG
« on: 04 Mar 2004, 17:06:23 »
Good day everyone,

could you please describe a little bit what are the differences between the WSS and the OGG sound file formats?

And for what should I exactly use them?

I have used OGG format for everything, but should I use WSS for speech as I noticed someone is doing? Is there a benefit doing so?

Thanks in advance for replying

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
Re:WSS against OGG
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2004, 18:12:33 »
I believe that .ogg file is the best format (in quality and filesize).
dunno why BIS used .wss but its an ok format, reminds me of mp3
(only, mp3 is a bit crappier I think)

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2004, 01:31:00 »
I thin one way to get OFP to use the ogg file is to make it recognize it, hwich I have no idea how to do except I know it lies in the config bin file.Satchal has mastered that already.

Baphomet

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2004, 05:50:08 »
Just thought I'd add this, which was a discussion posted at the official forums about the exact same thing: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=d878b2d8a722d7bc44c023af676afc30;act=ST;f=51;t=35298
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2004, 05:50:26 by Baphomet »

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2004, 09:10:29 »
You know, I was wondering, how does Red Storm do it?They use wave at 22050 just like OFP but not in wss form.They seem to use 3 different types of impulses for each weapon.1 as verberation,2 as automatic, and 3rd as a single or burst.I think it is also because they dont use the weapon in first person just the gun reticle so as not to sync the sounds with the muzzle flash.But then again what do i know,I know nothing about all the computer jargon, im a noob at this.I'll crawl back into my corner.:(

Baphomet

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2004, 10:04:01 »
Looks like what you're referring to touches briefly on a subject I discussed in the official forum boards about the usage of the "soundcontinuous" function.
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=f41556b3c8a9f05171d426851c5f5ef5;act=ST;f=57;t=37920

Red storm, for RV6, used a single sound file with various types of gunfire for a single gun.

Basically as best I understand it. When the gun fired. It would reference the proper time/location in the sound for the single fire shot, or play a looped section of the wav for full auto/burst and when the loop/sound was finished (aka firing stopped) it would play the "trailing off sound" (also located in the same sound file) you hear after a gun is fired. All this inside one sound file which the code is instructed to locate for each purpose (single,burst,fullauto,trailoff).

This way is generally more efficient than how OFP usually does full auto fire (souncontinuous=0) in which the entire sound from discharge to trail-off is started each time the gun fires. While this might be more accurate in terms of matching the sound to the gun firing. It does tend to make the sound stutter when the CPU is under considerable load.

Anyhow. As they mention in both the avon lady OFP faq and in that other thread I posted. Wss despite it's larger size is more efficiently used by OFP. Or at least that's the general concensus.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2004, 10:06:14 by Baphomet »