Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: login  (Read 1397 times)

Offline alimag

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
login
« on: 16 Feb 2004, 23:10:28 »
Hi,

This is a request to change your site settings so we dont have to enable cookies to stay log. This is the only forum that I am a member that refuses to keep me log if my cookies (internet explorer) are not enable. After loging on, as soon I clik on a subject that changes the page my login informations are gone.
In other words to post the message that you're reading now I had to enable the cookies setting in my browser.
This is very anoying and sometimes I forget to change the settings when I get out of your forum until I realize that other sites are sending unwanted things to me via cookies.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
Re:login
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2004, 23:18:26 »
You can enable cookies only for ofpec only you know? Which browser are you using?
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline alimag

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2004, 23:24:45 »
Hi Toadlife,

I use internet explorer 5

According to your answer I guess it's not an easy task to correct the problem from your side... ???

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2004, 23:36:20 »
IE5 is kinda old and I don't know if it has very good cookie handling options.

With IE6 you can go to tools>internet options> privacy and set custom cookie handling options, so it asks you every time a site wants to set a cookie. After it asks you if the site can set a cookie, you can check a box that tells it to rerember your preference for that particular site. I'm can't remember if IE5 had this ability or not.

As for changing it from our side, I'm not sure how easy/hard that would be, as I'm not one of the forum admins.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2004, 00:59:54 »
alimag,

I would constructively suggest that upgrading to a more better choice of browser:
  • Internet Explorer 6 (updated)
  • Mozilla
  • FireFox
  • Opera
  • Netscape
  • etc etc
This would be a better choice for yourself and our other members using IE5, rather than having us re-code our login system to avoid cookies.

The reason I state this, is that IE5 is still a very vulnerable browser in general, compared with the aforementioned list. And its more likely that you'll be hit with other attacks, long before any cookies in your system present problems.
Also, IE5 has no cookie control built in, but IE6 and the rest above have built-in controls that allow you to allow a site specifically to have a cookie or not, as mentioned by toadlife.

The login system will be changed in time, but given that right now all our coding-capable staff are very busy with other aspects of OFPEC or 'Real-Life', its pretty far down the list.

Hope this answers your request, alimag. :)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2004, 02:27:55 »
It's also worth mentioning that OFPEC is a very safe site, in terms of things like cookies.    You will have noticed, for example, that there is no advertising of any sort on this site and no dodgy webbots measuring you for size as the next sales victim.     We don't sell your login/email/inside leg measurement to anybody.

I don't know anything about computers, as is well known, but you can probably upgrade from IE5 to IE6 for free and if you can its well worth it.   I have IE6* myself, but that's only because I'm too lazy/mean/disorganised to get Mozilla which 98% of cats who expressed a preference said was better.

*That's 6-ish, assuming it's Explorer rather than Netscape which I wouldn't like to bet on.   Frankly I have better things to do than concern myself with which internet browser I use.   The point is that when it comes to things like cookies you don't have to worry about OFPEC.

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline alimag

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2004, 15:21:38 »
Thanks for answering.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not afraid of this site. It's just that changing my settings everytime I get in or out is not only anoying but worst sometimes I forget to disable the cookies when I leave ofpec.

I think the best solution is to upgrade my browser as you say. So I can select wich sites are cookie enabled. I'll think I'll give Mozilla a try.

Thanks again
Cheers

Offline icarus_uk

• Members
  • LiarLiarPants Inflame True
    • [furryclan]
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2004, 16:06:28 »
Make sure you are browsing the site with the full www. url.

If you use http://ofpec.com instead of http://www.ofpec.com then the forums log you out every time.  Using www. should fix the problem, assuming of course it really is a cookie problem.

Offline alimag

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2004, 17:02:50 »
I've just installed Mozilla.
There are so many settings... :P
But it really looks more secure than IE

Thanks again guys
Cheers