Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: MISSION DEPOT Questions  (Read 1768 times)

FormatC

MISSION DEPOT Questions
« on: 07 Feb 2004, 13:17:42 »
Ofpec what is the criteria for missions to be reviewed in your section.  Ive noticed a few missions that have been left behind and newer releases reviewd before them.  OK I know site was down and it stopped... But this is how it seems,,

1) BAS/DELTA missions get reviewed before any other
2) Odd missions types with DOGS or any animals jump in order
3) People who've made missions before get a high priority
4) Dare I say a lack of impartial reviewers..

Just thought Id ask to clear it up....

[edit by Noon416: Thread Title]
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2004, 13:39:16 by Noon416 »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:MISSION DEPOT FAQ
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2004, 13:29:29 »
1) Cause OFPEC is having bonds with BAS?

2-3) Reviewers are ppl too you know, and I would rather review a revelutionary mission that require no addons made by LCD and Asmodeus along with scripting made by Vektorboson than a n00b mission that's just a capture and hold the town mission.

4) Maybe you shud join as a reviewer than if you're better yourself. OFPEC offers reviews, and they don't cost or anything. Apart from ofp.gamezone where the missions are either undownloadable, uncompletable, missing addons, missing .txt files, in a foreign language, etc.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2004, 13:39:16 »
Missions are reviewed in the order they were submitted to OFPEC. No-one gets a higher priority.
On some reviews it might seem that the order has changed simply because one reviewer has finished his work earlier than the other. Also, some missions can be left behind for a while if there's something wrong with them and the author is being contacted and the reviewer has moved on to review the next mission in the meantime.
Not all is lost.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2004, 13:40:25 »
FormatC,

4) Dare I say a lack of impartial reviewers..

Qualify this statement instead of making empty accusations...
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

FormatC

Re:MISSION DEPOT Questions
« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2004, 14:01:05 »
4) Dare I say......

Well cmon,, we all know and are aware that if you've got a mate doing a job, that its often the case you get favours.. It happens in all business, retail and of course websites...  thats all I was implying.  Was'nt a slur on your name its just something that can happen..
As Ive mentioned before I had many missions well over 150 most of which were templates.sqs of various scripts..  Also a campaign which was nearing completion..  Sadly a worm various infected everything.. FORMAT:C and now Im rebuilding, both addon collection and missions.  So Im no stranger to mission making.  Ive had many missions released before on VSAS, a site long since dispeared.   I was also a mission reviewer and saw the workings of mission behind scenes favouritism..
Ofpec is the top site for editor info and mission makers.  Without your site I'd be lost and when you were down it was a hault on productions.  Your site is valuable to me and many others.
My comments were just questions and comments Ive had people ask me,, I just thought it would be good to clear up the concerns...  While also answering some of my queries at same time.

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 09 Feb 2004, 10:31:46 »
Hmmm... interesting concerns there, FormatC...

However, most of them seem to be unfounded ;)

Missions come in in chronological order, and generally get 'assigned' that way. However, some reviewers work faster than others which is why some more recent missions get reviewed before older ones.

Sometimes missions do get skipped... the reasons could be any one of many things. ie. The mission is faulty (so the author needs to be contacted and something sorted out), 56kers like me can't get all the addons, the reviewers computer doesn't have the grunt to play the mission as it should be played... etc etc.

However the review team are a fair and reasonable bunch. There isn't favouritism when it comes to marking, and the system gets adheared to 'most' of the time ;)

The OFP editing community isn't that large, so many of us know most of the guys whose missions we review. That can't be helped, and I reckon we do a reasonably good job of staying un-bias.

OFP Mission reviewing is by it's very nature subjective rather than objective, but I think we manage to get reasonably balanced reviews across the board.

As Armstrong pointed out, if you think you'd be good at the job, please feel free to apply :)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #6 on: 09 Feb 2004, 12:41:11 »
If you disagree with a review there are three things you can do:-

1)  use the User rating box to add your own rating to the mix  (Actually you should do this anyway)

2)  post a constructive Comment on the mission   (Which of course you can also do if you like what you've seen)

3)  if you really feel that a mission reviewer has behaved improperly then send a reasonably worded IM to the Missions Depot Admin (Anmac) with your allegation and some supporting evidence.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #7 on: 09 Feb 2004, 19:06:51 »
I think the user score should be "bigger". Rarley any1 votes and noon cares about it anyway. The user rating shud be on the overview if u ask me cause several persons ratings are almost allways better than 1 person. Something you might add in the future?

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2004, 01:12:03 »
Hello,

as i am doing quite some reviewing maybe i can answer you question why some single player missions seems not to be reviewed (by the way at the moment i am playing/reviewing "Fallschirmjaeger 1.1")
Basically a short missions without or with common AddOns are more likely to be reviewed faster. Why ? That has nothing to do with like or dislike, but i take normally three missions for review (two old ones and one i like the setting e.g. Nam). I try to play very mission at least twice so if i come from work and i only have one hour to play. What mission do i choose ? The long one with a lot of uncommon addons i have to install before i can play ? No, that are the ones for the weekend. I just took a  easy one. Therefore those seem to get faster reviewed than the others. Before the down of the site, we (the Mission Depot "Single player" reviewers) were nearly on our goal to have a review for all missions in two weeks. But i am looking forward to have at least three reviews a week.  End of march, we should be back in the line again.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2004, 07:39:20 »
hehe Kuro, you've drawn a line between MP and SP reviewers  ;D You're right to draw it though, because I don't think anyone else reviews MP missions except me.
So I can tell you exactly how it works on MP missions, like Kuro there told you how it is with SP missions.

I pick a mission by it's date. The one that's dated as the most oldest in the database gets reviewed. Period.
However, as I said in my post above, sometimes the author needs to be contacted and that puts the mission on hold. If the author is contacted and the problem is solved, the mission gets reviewed straight away. If the author isn't contacted the mission will be on hold for two weeks and then it's removed. In that two weeks I have moved on to the next oldest missions and possibly reviewed them, thus creating the effect of reviewing a newer mission before the oldest.

Why do I wait for two weeks only? Because at the moment the MP depot has about 100 unreviewed missions, many of then dated as back as 300+ days. I need to move quickly and get on top of the missions, so that some day a MP mission can be reviewed faster than after waiting for 300 days in the depot.  :)
Not all is lost.

Anmac

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2004, 15:32:53 »

lol... I have seen missions submitted by REVIEWERS and other high profile members be passed over so it didn't look like 'favours for the boys'.  Meanwhile those missions sat there for much longer than other missions.

Sometimes a mission that uses LARGE addons will be passed over by a 56k reviewer, only to be taken up by a broadband reviewer later.

I fail to see a problem with the reviewing at this time.  If you have any problems, please contact me by email for IM.

:)