Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Putting Campaigns Together  (Read 318 times)

Dubieman

Putting Campaigns Together
« on: 27 Jan 2004, 22:50:01 »
Okay I'm in the starting stages of making a low grade, yes cause I cannot input voice samples to save my life, resistance campaign. I was thinking about a different view of a grunt slder but back to the problem.... :P

I want to link these missions together right after another and want to be sure what I'm doing so I don't have to go back later. I have a feint idea about those trigger end 1 end 2 and such, but how do you use that in a campaign about 15 to 20 missions long? :-\

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Putting Campaigns Together
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2004, 23:08:20 »
Whoa whoa whoa.    Learn to walk before waterskiing the Atlantic.

Two totally seperate questions here.   The first one is about mission endings.   Get this sorted out first.    Hit a few good tutorials and all should become clear.   The summary is that a mission has seven possible endings, six "win" endings numbered 1 - 6 and one "loose"  ending.   Loose is not the same as lose.   This is fundamentally a trigger question.

The second one is how to make a campaign.  This is fundamentally a description.ext question.    

In the context of a campaign the two questions are of course related.     However, the biggest question in a campaign is the work involved:  for a 20 mission campaign you should budget about 4,000 hours, if you want to produce something worth playing.   That's about two years if you work at it full time, like a proper paying job.

There are some tutes on description.ext in the Ed Depot, have alook at them.   Campaigns have come on a bit since they were written (unless they have been updated) so have a look through the comref as well.   There are several good general tutorials which cover the mission ending thing.    Try some of the cutscene and camera tutes as well.

Summary:   numbered endings fire only if all triggers with this ending as their type fire.   The win outro is played.    Loose ending is fired if any trigger with type looseend is fired.  Loose outro plays.

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play