Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Ideas for Rent  (Read 15496 times)

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
Re:Ideas for Rent
« Reply #120 on: 15 Mar 2004, 01:31:36 »
Sorry guys, been on break for the last week and I just got the update today.

So far I see no reason to switch, but I'm going to continue to play around with these guys tonight.

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #121 on: 15 Mar 2004, 22:57:55 »
If ya still want any of my input.. i'd say MARPAT.. much better addon imho. Surprised to see the thread come back to life.

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #122 on: 16 Mar 2004, 13:51:17 »
The Rangers are great, pretty nicely made and all, but after reading some of this thread, I'd say go with the Marines. It would be nice to get some "grunt" missions/campaigns, since pretty much all are somehow Spec Op related. So my vote is for the MAP. ;)

And g'luck with this. It sounds good. :)

Hawkins

Homefry31464

« Reply #123 on: 21 Mar 2004, 16:49:11 »
Has anyone tried the Modern US infantry?  It's standard army grunts, and the uniforms are extremely nice looking, the only problem is the weapons they use, standard BIS models, with JAM sounds.  Maybe use this in conjunction with the MAP?

OrangeLeader

« Reply #124 on: 21 Mar 2004, 18:05:31 »
Why don't we just use the Marines since our mission is about Marines in the Phillipines. Yes you could use other addon's and say they are Marines, but why don't you just use MARPAT's Marines instead.

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #125 on: 21 Mar 2004, 19:16:37 »
Yep, the modern soldiers do look nice, and I've actually been giving them MARPAT weapons anytime I use them, but I think we'd be better off sticking to the Marines.

Homefry31464

« Reply #126 on: 21 Mar 2004, 20:55:22 »
Alright, I was just throwing ideas out, so you guys could consider them.  The MARPAT is the one, then.  

ScrubMuncher

« Reply #127 on: 24 Apr 2004, 04:47:38 »
I hope you guys are still rolling on this project, it sounds awesome.  I have been thinking about the radio. It is simple, but very powerful. It could build tension, be a method to give 'hints' (which is just motivational info),moderate the timeline of the mission, and just plain nudge the player to do your bidding (more subtle than a piece of text or a change of objectives).
Also, (not sure how realistic this is) have multiple freq's to try contacting naval, air, and close inf groups to join up, or request support.  If you can make contact, the party on the other end of the line will try to arrange evac... it might take some time, while you're waiting, could you call in that pesky milita HQ for bombardment? or give the player a coord for shore pickup, or give info on enemy/friendly activity. either way trying different freqencies would allow for more options on the radio. new menu options and such.

Examples:

1. Build tension -
When the player wrongly tries to make contact (wether it's too early, wrong  position, just not time to finish mission, etc.), Have a few low bitrate recordings of a choppy, static filled message where the only clear part is to change position and try again "You're bre..(static) Signal wea... get to hi.. ground and try again..  we.. located at...." this will help motivate them to move around and not camp.
Also, getting emergency chatter from local troops being attacked would add atmosphere, and hope. Imagine, you hear faint requests for help over the radio, amidst gunfire, of course, and one of your troops says (text) "I have their position, its.. (variable for map position of just spawned friendly and enemy units)" you might be in time to help, or join up, or stay clear of activity.

2. Give Hints - You Radio your status.. Low ammo, injuries.  Based on the (now known) random factors in the mission, the contact you have might be able to mention that: a group just cleared this village and there was a medical facility, or there was a battle at this position-scavenge weapons and ammo. (all spawned as needed by the master random event script).

3. Adjust Timeline: Being full of options, and as you already stated, a good amount of randomness, the radio might be found and conditions favorable to use.  And barring the set time-of-activation I read about earlier, you might consider having problems that actively get in the way and need to be solved, or circumvented to complete the mission. (in other words, 'storied' excuses to extend the time of the mission)

This just inspired me for some ideas on a seperate thread.  Thanks, and good luck.  Sounds like you guys have a masterpiece in the works!

Scrub

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #128 on: 30 Apr 2004, 02:28:46 »
Okay well, here's a status update for those who are interested...

This mission is pretty much on the back burner...it's gone nowhere and I'll take the heat for that.

BUT...

We now have a website for our story team, and we're going to start knocking walls down and building additions ;D  No other details until we're done, suffice it to say that this happens to be the old website of another visionary OFP storywriter...just who, you'll have to guess :-X