Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Weird behaviour ...  (Read 2268 times)

Hartza

Weird behaviour ...
« on: 21 Aug 2002, 10:47:05 »
Nogujev, there is a bridge.

I have AI BMP which shoud cross that river (or bay actually) from nort side of bridge where there is a sand beach.
But it refuses to go to the water and drivers to south side of bridge and drives throug that very sharp cliff to the water.

Why is that ?

Can I force it to drive to water from were I wanted to :gunman: ....

tai mai shu

Re:Weird behaviour ...
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2002, 11:31:48 »
hmm, make sure it is in careless mode, that might help, maybe the ai is in combat mode, and in all its tactical brilliance decides that crossing a river under fire would be a tactical error  :afro:

also, are there people in cargo?? i think theres some bug where i theres someone in teh cargo, they cant go in water, or if they do, then they eject and drown  ???
also make sure that the route down to the river bank is not too steep, it might piss the ai off.

Hartza

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2002, 12:01:00 »
BMP is in combat mode because there is combat going on and yes there are troops inside, but situation is same both sides the bridge ! !

And the route is much more harder in the south side ( steep cliff both sides ) which seems to be fine for that BMP. It is very good boy and climbs up and down that steep river bank.

North side there is really nice shallow sand beach ( with bikini girls  :P ) and opposite bank is also easy like, but no, it wount go ... :beat:

tai mai shu

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2002, 04:28:36 »
hmm, ive heard reports about ai difficulty to navigate the bridge, hmm, seems weird.  maybe dont use waypoints???

you might have better luck if you use the "move" command.

put a game logic on the beach where you want the bmp to enter name it move1  make another on the other shore, make it move2.

in init line, put "bmp1 domove getpos move1

make a trigger, in conidition, put (bmp1 distance move1) <= 5
on activation, put "bmp1 domove move2"

put a trigger with condition (bmp1 distance move2) <= 5
make this trigger a switch.

give the bmp a waypoint somewhere in the objective area (city on other side of bridge) and drag a "syncroniztion line fromt the waypoint to the trigger mentioned above.

this method might work, im not sure though

Hartza

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2002, 09:54:45 »
HI tai mai shu

I noticed that if BMP was in the middle of the map block 62 or closer to the bridge, it was heading to the bridge. But if it was on map block 63 it went streight over the river ( bay ).
There seems to be somekind of locig that if the bridge in close enough, use it. ???

Maybe this move command forces it to go straight to next waypoint...

I'll try it today.

tai mai shu

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2002, 10:03:19 »
oh yeah, i typed the move command syntax wrong.

it should be "BMP1 domove getpos move1"  cuz the domove commadn WILL ONLY accept X, Y(, and Z?) coordinates

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2002, 12:03:11 »
hmmmmm.... bridge on Nolgujev you say?

*runs to download*

well.... its call also depend on what Kegetys has done - the bridge is tricky to use on Nogova because its an object (like a house) anbd not part of the terrain and so the AI dont really like using it (cos they have some apparent death wish)

all i could suggest is try and give it multiple waypoint along the bridge (but they may be translated onto the river and so it goes under the bridge) or use the domove command.

appart from setting the unit to safe/careless and increasing its skill  :P
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

zsa_zsa_rasputin

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2002, 14:26:30 »
Ok - Im not entirely sure of the map you're talking about - so forgive me if all the following is absolute BS  :P

But maybe the use of the bridge is like the use of the airfield - in that you dont have to actually direct air units to land but merely place a waypoint in the correct vicinity and they will land themselves - maybe the same is true for units crossing the bridge...?  :)

I dunno - just thought I'd TRY n help!  ;)

Dan  ;D

asmodeus

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2002, 16:12:47 »
Hey all!  Great advice,  butt :booty:,

If I'm not mistaken...

Hartza is saying that the BMP won't go the route from one side to the other without the bridge messing the route up...

I have AI BMP which shoud cross that river (or bay actually) from nort side of bridge where there is a sand beach.
But it refuses to go to the water and drivers to south side of bridge and drives throug that very sharp cliff to the water.

It sounds to me like there is, like Hartza said also:

There seems to be somekind of locig that if the bridge in close enough, use it.

So... There is probably some sort of program for the AI around that bridge which makes them cross it correctly and AI stupid-proof...   :o   (like that's possible)   ;)

Anyways, I hope that I'm on the right track here...  

Hartza??    ::)   ;D

Hartza

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2002, 16:28:26 »
heh heh  ;D

jes, Asmodeus, you are on right track ...

BMP has waypoint on both sides of that river (directly on the opposite banks) and it shoud go straight over the river, mut it is heading to the bridge and uses the bridge or goes to the south side of the bridge and drivers staight to the water from that steen river bank ...

I found out that if BMP starts from map coordinates Ga63 or norther, it goes straight over that river, but if it is bit closer, say Ga62, it heads to the bridge.
I am trying that domove command today, lets see what happens  :P

Hartza

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2002, 19:12:35 »
tai mai shu
seems that this domove command works  :cheers:

Now BMP goes to swimm were I wanted to .

This has been very good day. Two solved problem  ;D
still, I allready had an other one ...

Thanks tai mai shu !