Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Killing children  (Read 3280 times)

PsyWarrior

Re:Killing children
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2004, 15:27:57 »
I think the general consensus on this is clear.

Apart from the few of us with *slight* mental instabilities :help: , there doesn't seem to be much support for this addon, certainly not for the purposes indicated. There are plenty of other ways to invoke shock without resorting to burning children.

Added to which, it seems that creating an addon like this would be pretty much impossible at the minuite anyway.

I believe this topic has outlived it's welcome...

-Supr. Cmdr. PsyWarrior
 :hmm:

gothicv

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2004, 21:54:14 »
Has everyone forgotten Deus Ex? On the second stage when that kid tells you to go to hell for not having any food for him? I remember just pulling out my pistol and blasting him... then realizing that I killed him. It was shocking, yet realistic (alright, I was playing the part of a cyborg....) but still. I don't like the idea of killing children, however it does happen. It would add realism to this war sim. After all, it is a simulation. I'm neither for nor against it's creation, since I try not to use addons as much as possible (just cause I like the faster load times in multiplayer)

Also, that whole 9/11 mission someone was thinking about before everyone shut it down... that would be realistic. What's the difference between that mission and a mission simulating what's going on in Iraq? Sure, it seems bad to us for that attack, but it also to them seems wrong of us going in there to kick their asses.

I'm not taking sides, but I am against people shutting down ideas because they prefer not to think they are happening. War happens, "The first casualty of war is innocence" and I should probably get back to work...

Offline Mikeyfish90210

• Members
  • HEY STOP TAKING SO LONG TO ANSWER SIMPLE THREADS
« Reply #32 on: 15 Jan 2004, 13:20:44 »
Okey dookie kiling children is a bad issue. Sorry i'll shut my big fat face then. I guess i just wanted to shock as one of you said. My idea was that the sun would pierce through the tops of the trees shining beams onto the guys car. He would be listening to some chill out music in his civilian clothing and he would pull up into his small village and find all his famliy and friends burning with some flag set up in his village with troops patrolling it. I think i'll just use women and men because children is so contraversial, thanks anyhoo
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :help:
MIkEy FIshY BoyY YabDAO

PsyWarrior

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jan 2004, 13:26:23 »
gothicv:
Perhaps it is true that we should not shy away from the truths of war - war is not nice. This is a perfectly valid point.

However, this does not mean that I agree with what you are saying.

I don't believe having more civilians to lock in your gun sights would make a this *soldier sim* any more realistic. The only possible justification for this would be to use as a 'shock tactic' in a cutscene. Additionally, OFP is, as you pointed out, a simulation - you want to experiance the true horrors of war, join the army.
plz don't try to convert OFP into a kill the childs game

And in response to your talk of 9/11;
1. Who is this 'us'? you are either assuming that everyone in this forum is supportive of Op:Iraqi Freedom, or you are speaking for the entire coalition. This is not good.

2. The difference between 9/11 and the recent war in Iraq is this: 9/11 was a terrorist attack designed to kill civilians. Op: Iraqi Freedom was a military campaign that aimed to depose Saddam Hussein. There were always going to be civilian casualties, but that was not the aim of the operation.

I cannot speak for everyone here, but I do not shy away from these issues. I do not "prefer not to think that they are happening". As you say, war happens and there is no escaping this. This does not mean that we need to populate the OFP world with killing children and other atrocities.

-PsyWarrior

P.S. -> Good call MikeyFish.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2004, 13:27:41 by PsyWarrior »

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #34 on: 15 Jan 2004, 13:54:07 »
Okay people, we're getting away from the topic now.

I think we all know the consensus, so its time for this thread to rest before it becomes yet another "USA in Iraq - bad/good" thread.

*locked*
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"