Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "Stay Logged IN"  (Read 2179 times)

O Neil

"Stay Logged IN"
« on: 18 Nov 2003, 05:24:27 »
Hey

Umm . . . If I tick "STAY LOGGED IN" without toching anything (Apart from my loggin info of course ;) ) . . . It doesn't ???
Same goes with if I put TIME LOGGED IN = 9999 . . . but that doesn't matter.

Any solutions ?

THxs

O'Neil

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
Re:"Stay Logged IN"
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2003, 05:32:50 »
yes i also get this problem each time i come to home page ill have to sign in then when going into the forums ill have to sign in again kinda annoying  ;D

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2003, 05:43:44 »
Go directly to the forums and log in. Then you will stay logged in. As for why this happens, I don't know. Maybe SnYpir has an idea?
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

_hammy_

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2003, 03:22:43 »
Make sure that cookies are enabled.

I put my cookie setting to "Accept All Cookies", and i dont have a problem
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2003, 03:23:47 by HAMMY »

O Neil

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2003, 21:49:52 »
Well, I do accept cookies, & I only ever go to the forums ( ;) )

O'Neil

PS: Not to be a nusence, just thought I'd alert the fact, soz

Skorp1on

« Reply #5 on: 04 Dec 2003, 03:04:24 »
I'm not sure how you run your systems, or if you know what you are doing, but from my experience, letting all cookies through is not a good idea. It leaves you exposed to many a nasty, and your computer can be sent malicious and harmful cookies. Of course, it's up to you to run your system how you want, just a bit of advice...

sanam

« Reply #6 on: 03 Jan 2004, 09:13:46 »
Yep, Dangerous it is , brothers & sisters.

The workaround is:

this is okay with both ie && Opera, but I'm no Computer freak @ all. And it does depends on any register-askin'sever. Could be different from one to another. If you need to go very low on privacy to register, then their motivations should be assumed as unclear, if not vicious.

Step by step gradually lower your privacy settings Check by goin' in & out. Be patient, unless those dudes @ ofpec are really dishonnest, there's no way you need to go to the very bottom of your privacy setting: "Medium" privacy should be enough, if not "medium high".

Then, when it's working okay, get in && out, check again: you can stay logged because the server reads the already existing cookie.I think

That's the point: now you can step-by-step re-set your privacy up,as the server doesn't need to write a new cookie, he just  read the one it previously sent.

This cookie being your "ID", by ticking "always" he will not be destroyed upon exit.Just me guessing again

I would also recommand you to destroy all cookies before doing this, so you start clean. Workin' with the "display cookies" is a good way to spot ID ones against AD(vertisers) ones && Stat(istics  tracers) ones. Don't forget to destroy any doubtfull one, and to reset your privacy as high as your average internet way-of-life allows you to. That's why I don't have an Hotm%$l account ;D

Privacy is your RIGHT ! Don't forget that !

Cheers from Peacepunk.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jan 2004, 10:00:37 »
I would just like to point out that it is not OFPEC that sets the cookie-policy for the forum, it's the forum software itself (YaBB SE). I'm sure if we really wanted to we could hack and tweak it to our liking, but that's more trouble than it's worth.

And I would like to say that cookies aren't as harmful and malicious as everyone makes them out to be, a cookie is simply a flat text file, and therefore it cannot do anything really harmful to your system. If someone snuck in a trojan or a worm disguised as  a cookie: Sure, that's uncool.
But letting sites set cookies on your system doesn't expose you to virus attacks. Besides, everyone is (or at least they should be) running an anti-virus application that will prevent them from any attacks, as well as a firewall.

It's been positively ages since I used IE or Opera, so I'm not sure how much they let users control their cookies, but in Mozilla (and Mozilla Firebird) you can set individual cookie-policies for websites, allowing everything from www.ofpec.com for instance, and nothing from www.microsoft.com, which I think is a good security policy ;)

Anyhow, I would just like to see people stop spreading propaganda against cookies, since they aren't really that harmful.
They could, however, be used to gather information about your webbrowsing-habits, and that could be unwanted.
I assure you, however, that the OFPEC cookie is only used for that what it's supposed to, which is to keep you logged in on the forum/site.

If you have any questions about how the forum handles the cookie I'm sure you can find adequate information and documentation on http://www.yabbse.org/
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2004, 10:01:00 by KTottE »
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"