Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Invincible Planes!!!!!  (Read 1634 times)

Von Manstein

Invincible Planes!!!!!
« on: 04 Oct 2003, 09:48:13 »
I have actually stopped dl'n all the shiny new fighter planes bein produced for one simple reason...."I CAN'T KILL THEM!!!" I set up a dogfight between 4 F/A-18's and 4 MiG-29's to see what would happen. Would u like to know what happened? NOTHING!! Just alot of circular flying with the occasional AA missile impact....on the ground. Even lowered one sides skill level to crap and raised the others to "GODLIKE", and still the only way any plane came down was when it ran out of fuel.

I just wanted to suggest to addon makers that when u make your addons...please keep it within the realms of reality. I know u dont want ur plane shot down but in real life it does happen no matter what countermeasures a plane is armed with. The missiles dont always chase the flare guys...sometimes they take a big bite out of your ass!  ;D

Homefry31464

Re:Invincible Planes!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 04 Oct 2003, 18:49:05 »
I don't think it's the addon-maker's fault.  As you noticed, the OFP engine doesn't handle flight very well.

KyleSarnik

« Reply #2 on: 04 Oct 2003, 18:55:12 »
RAD F/A-18's and Footmunch's Mig-23's make for excelent dogfights, especaily with with flacklands carrier, the Hermes. I just love catipulting off the deck into a modern version of the classic dogfight, F18 vs Mig.... ;)

Von Manstein

« Reply #3 on: 05 Oct 2003, 06:08:23 »
I noticed the limitations of OFP's game engine...I was just wondering if there was a way to alter the flare script or countermeasures scripts used by these addons to atleast create a more realistic representation of their real world counterparts.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty

m21man

« Reply #5 on: 07 Oct 2003, 21:44:59 »
I've got a little hint for you. You see that thing called the "cannon"? You should learn to use it ;D .

bigdog632

« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2003, 23:06:38 »
those mig 23s are nice to dogfight with

and if you think its hard to dogfight a an F18 try shooting it down from the ground

Kaliyuga

« Reply #7 on: 07 Oct 2003, 23:13:12 »
I noticed the limitations of OFP's game engine...I was just wondering if there was a way to alter the flare script or countermeasures scripts used by these addons to atleast create a more realistic representation of their real world counterparts.

Sure.. just de-pbo it and alter the scripts/config.cpp as needed of course this will just fix your copy.. but it's an easy way to take care of the problem.

I agree that the countermeasures on some of these planes are a little too much.   If you have less missles then they have flares you're kinda screwed, which is in no way how it is in real life.

Flares and countermeasures are never 100% in real life like they are on these addons

m21man

« Reply #8 on: 07 Oct 2003, 23:14:33 »
The 10 or so Shilkas in the "Bird Cage" mission didn't have much trouble doing that the first time...though I quickly returned and bombed the hell out of them with a CBU set to 400 meter spread ;D.

Footmunch

« Reply #9 on: 09 Oct 2003, 17:39:55 »
The MiG-23 (and -27) use a script contained in "spoofmissile.sqs". There is a random
chance that, although the flares fire, the missile is _not_ spoofed. I think it's about
a 1 in 4 chance on the Floggers (ie 3/4 of the time the missile _is_ deflected). One
problem is that missiles are launched _much_ too close. They then have no time
to deflect and hit the target - in this case, it doesn't matter if the missile is spoofed or
not. If the bogie is in visual range (<500m), you should really be using cannons.

Von Manstein

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2003, 07:08:10 »
I've used missiles both below and above that range to no effect through a great many attempts to score a single hit on something....success rate=0.