Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Non-addon addons??  (Read 902 times)

Offline Doolittle

• Contributing Member
  • _this select 0
Non-addon addons??
« on: 17 Sep 2003, 23:02:49 »
Hello, I was wondering about what changes could be made to existing BIS models that would still be realistic?  For example, removing all missiles from the Su25 and adding the LGB bombs too it is a "realistic" change in that the Su25 does carry a bomb loadout sometimes (right?).  Also the Mi17 has a gun on the front of it, so adding M2 ammo to this vehicle would be "realistic", right?  Or what about taking the TOW off of the Apache and putting the A10 missiles on it instead?

What I am wondering is....what changes to already existing vehicles USING SCRIPT can we do that would still keep the realism there?  Adding missiles to the M2 gun is something that you can do, but that would NOT be realistic.  I want to "keep it real" world here...

Also...what would be the correct "bullet" size to add to the Mi17?  Shilka ammo or A10 ammo or?

Couldn't the OH-58 carry the A10 ammo & gun?  Ok, I know there's no way an A10 gun would fit in an OH-58...but doesn't the OH-58 have a gattling gun configuration in the real world??

Thanks,
Doolittle

Grendel

Re:Non-addon addons??
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2003, 01:48:33 »
hey Doolittle,

here are some realism tips:

Actually the SU25 normally carries air to ground ordanance, as it was designed as Russia's answer to the A-10, so a LGB loadout would be OK.

Putting a Maverick on a helicopter is highly unrealistic, however.  The Hellfire is the largest missile currently fielded on US helicopters.

The OH-58D has a configuration that includes a .50 cal, but no gatling gun, the Littlebird does have a minigun in 7.62mm, but A10 ammo would not accurately reflect the power (overkill).

BTW The A-10's 30mm Gatling Cannon produces more recoil force than thrust produced by both engines at full throttle, actually braking the aircraft! :o

Hope this helps

-Grendel

Offline Doolittle

• Contributing Member
  • _this select 0
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2003, 21:54:21 »
Grendel, thank you very much!!  This is EXACTLY the type of info I am looking for.  Could you perhaps tell me how you know this?  Where can I look?  Maybe I can research this stuff myself.

Like if the OH-58 carried a .50, then would the FFAR not be there?  What about Mi17 configurations...hmmm.....

Doolittle

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2003, 13:14:05 »
I'm not an expert, when it comes to armament on military
vehicles in real life, but:

i think i remember that the "Austrian Bundesheer" has
an OH58 Kiowa with a 30mm Gatling Gun.

I was an AA soldier (poor 20mm gun  :-X) and i think that
it was such an OH58 30mm GatlingGun, which i blasted
in pieces (only simulated off course).

:edit - ok, just did some research;

The Austrian Version of the OH58 is armed with
a:  6 x 7.62mm

As i'm no weapon expert, i cannot say that this is a gatling gun
for sure, but IMHO i think it is  :D
(OK not the big one with 30mm but at least her little sister).

~S~ CD
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2003, 13:22:11 by Chris Death »
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted