Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Campaign Writers Block  (Read 997 times)

theliberalpatriot

Campaign Writers Block
« on: 19 Sep 2003, 04:10:26 »
Okay, listen. I've got this campaign started up using a downloaded campaign editor. The story is the year is 1988 and the Soviets and NATO have been peacefully coexisting on the island of Everon. Suddenly a NATO fuel depot ends up in flames and all evidence points to the Soviets. So Ronald Reagan blames Russia and war erupts on Everon. The first part of the campaign you play as a pilot. There are two missions in this part. In Pilot Down you must rescue a pilot behind enemy lines and support a tank assault on Provins. In To St. Pierre with Boats you must help U.S. infantry defend St. Pierre from amphibious assault. Next I have a cutscene that shows a suicide bombing of Lamentin that destroys the airport there and kills the player. I know my next mission is going to be in the role of a soldier and you'll be just investigating the wreckage (a work in progress). But after that I can't think of any other missions. I want the soldier to start seeing evidence that maybe these attacks aren't by the Soviets and then he defects to work with SpetzNatz to find out who really is behind this. It is called Over A Smoking Barrel. Help me ASAP!!! ???

theliberalpatriot

Black Fox

Re:Campaign Writers Block
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2003, 04:27:52 »
How about a mission where you have to basically race the enemy to a location? I had been thinking about a Resistance mission where you had to beat the Russians to a destroyed convoy in orderto recover some papers/weapons/survivors. You could try the same thing here.
Obviously, if you get there first, you still have to fight the bad guys, whoever they are, and then you have to get yourself back home with the information/weapons/survivors.

So who are the bad guys? How do you track them down? What resources do they have? How can you stop them? What are they going to do if you can't stop them? These are the questions I ask myself before making a mission.

Offline DarkAngel

• Members
  • The night is my friend.
    • DarkAngels Missions
Re:Campaign Writers Block
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2003, 20:09:42 »
Well, for a start the US command wouldn't necessarily be very happy about one of their people defecting to the Russians, so depending on the rank and importance of your character they might send special forces to look for you. Not to mention the fact that there are SpetzNaz in their territory anyway. So you and your new friends would be doing an escape-and-evade type action. Then later on in the campaign, it might turn out that NATO knows more about this situation then you do, so you have to infiltrate a base and find out the information. A mission like this might involve stealing keys, interrogating hostages, etc.

Anyway, those are just a couple of ideas. I think it'd be great to see an OFP campaign that keeps the player in the middle of a conflict, rather than just on the side of the "good guys", so keep up the good work!

Dark
"Moondark" in Beta Testing