Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Temp Recruitment  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:Temp Recruitment
« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2004, 06:09:52 »
The recruitment depot is down because we don't have enough coders, and we can't hire any more coders because the recruitment depot is down.  ;)
Not all is lost.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2004, 06:11:15 »
he he Artak. ;D

For those checking the Depot...

IT IS STILL BROKEN

...even though you can now fill out the Submit screen.

So don't post about that issue, please. :)

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2004, 06:13:09 by Noon416 »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2004, 10:00:45 »
So the main reason is to give the moderators an easier job?
Couldn't they just delete the flame-ish posts?

This reply tells me that you have no idea what it's like to run a forum of our size. You obviously haven't worked an a bigger forum yet. Then you'd realize how naive your statement is.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2004, 13:55:04 »
DBR_ONIX,

I can understand the frustration, but for the moment a "When its done" is all we can offer.  :(

Currently our coders are very busy with RL, but rest assured we're not sitting on our laurels over this.
I'm currently doing a crash course in PHP to get in there myself and fix it. ;)
So until my PHP skills reach a level where the cause of the problem becomes visible, we're still stuck with a broken depot.

At a rough guess, less than a month at this point in time, may be sooner. :)
Hmm, if you want, I can help you out with your PHP stuff
I learned it about 2 years ago (Out of a few books and about 4000 websites ::))...
I'd be happy to help, esp if gets the recrutment depot up faster :P
My my is dbrweb @ hotmail .com

(I tried to PM you, but it gave an error thing, about invalid username or I'm on your ignore list..)

If not, thats fine, just a suggestion
- Ben
PS, yes, I know how hard it is to moderate a large forum, but it is still possible to delete posts, or even just replace the contents with a "deleted by moderator for flaming" message, and if you get more mods, it would spread the load a lot more..
Nevermind though, you don't have to listen to me.

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2004, 19:18:54 »
I think that DBR's idea is sound. A temp thread would work in the short term and I also believe that any negative posts would probably not matter. After all, Ofpec in my opinion is a site which is mainly aimed at the more mature and professional Player. Surely any moron who wants to start flamewars or diss someone's mod would surely be ignored. I know that some people would take the bait, but I feel that as a whole, such things would be ignored by the more mature users.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #20 on: 16 Apr 2004, 00:03:53 »
DBR_ONIX,

I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind, but at this point in time we'll pass on the offer as we're making progress with the Depot. :)

The-Architect,

We'll be sticking to our guns over the anti-advertising rule.
As explained by Sefe, and other Admins over the last couple of years, we have it there for a reason (same reason as before we created the Recuitment Depot), and at this stage there isn't a need to revoke it even temporarily.

The better solution is simply to fix the depot in the first instance.

PS: DBR_ONIX, IM's don't have an ignore function, so I'm sure the error was just a 'hiccup'. Send me the error via email if its a regular one.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #21 on: 16 Apr 2004, 13:36:15 »
Okay
Take it still no date as for when it'll be up?

BTW, I might have changed the name or something accidently.. Dunno why it didn't work.. Nevermind :P
- Ben

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2004, 09:08:37 »
Right!
You can now insert, alter and delete submissions to the Recruitment Depot. :thumbsup:

But!
For the moment, they can't be unpended.
That's till a few days away yet (hopefully).

So, feel free to go nuts and input your ads, they just won't be visible on the main page yet.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2004, 17:41:26 »
Woooo etc!!
Good good :D
What do you mean by "they just won't be visible on the main page yet. " though?
They won't apper next to the "Lastest forum posts" and "Latest addons" etc on the index page?

Glad to hear it
You can prob now lock/delete this thread, if you want?
- Ben

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #24 on: 18 Apr 2004, 17:50:45 »
You can prob now lock/delete this thread, if you want?
They could have done it anytime they wanted, because they have the poowah.  ;D

I think Noon means that the submissions for vacancies don't apear in the recruitment depot main page. Maybe because the submissions have to be unpended by staff and that can't be done yet.
Not all is lost.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2004, 03:32:52 »
:D 100% FIXED :D

Now go forth and multiply, my pretty's! ;)

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2004, 17:57:44 »
:D:D:D
Good news :D

So it didn't take a month then ;)

:D
- Ben

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #27 on: 19 Apr 2004, 20:15:48 »
So it didn't take a month then ;)

And if it would have taken a year, you wouldn't have a reason (or the right) to complain. Nobody who's running the site is gettin paid for it and the only reward is getting pressure by people who take everything for granted and complain if not everything is running 100% smoothly.

If this would be a site we'd get paid for (which would essentially mean that our visitors would be paying for it), then people could expect that everything is working all the time. As this isn't the case you can expect that not everything is working all the time. So nobody has the right for this "do it and do it now"-attitude that we constantly have to face.

And thank you for telling us when to lock and delete threads. We're successfully running this site for more than two years now but we still appreciate very much when people tell us how to do our jobs. We know that we could do so much better. But somehow our stubborness tells us to rather listen to our experience than to people who know so much better than we.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #28 on: 20 Apr 2004, 17:19:04 »
Argh.. The reason I said :
So it didn't take a month then
Is because Noon (I'm sure) said this :
At a rough guess, less than a month at this point in time, may be sooner.  

Sorry, but I don't "take the site for granted", this thread started out as a idea to stop people from asking about "getting the recruitment depoty up now", "why isn't it working" etc, but letting people recruit in one thread here.
The reason I said could you lock the topic, not because I'm telling you "how to do your job", just because this thread is completly useless now, as the recruitment depot is now back up, and, like now, it is getting kinda out of hand..

Like I've said, you don't have to listen to me.. You don't have to listen to anyone, really.. But it's a good idea most of the time

Also, I do almost all my web-design work for free, and I am happy to have people "complain", it's usefull to let me know what I need to do/improve etc
I am aware you don't get paid for this (Hey, it would be good if you did though :P)

But somehow our stubborness tells us to rather listen to our experience than to people who know so much better than we.

So you know best about mod-ing the forums, maybe so, but you can still listen to people.

So nobody has the right for this "do it and do it now"-attitude that we constantly have to face.
I never said "do it now" or anything, I was tring to stop people saying that about the recruitment depot..

Sorry for any inconveninces this thread has cause
Sorry, but I'm annoyed at this.

Sorry  >:(
- Ben
BTW, the "So it didn't take a month ;)" thing was intended as a joke, but I'm sorry if you didn't understand this
BTW2, I'll use the Solved button so lock this thread (In a way)
Thanks to the people who supported me with this :)

And if it would have taken a year, you wouldn't have a reason (or the right) to complain. Nobody who's running the site is gettin paid for it and the only reward is getting pressure by people who take everything for granted and complain if not everything is running 100% smoothly.

If this would be a site we'd get paid for (which would essentially mean that our visitors would be paying for it), then people could expect that everything is working all the time. As this isn't the case you can expect that not everything is working all the time. So nobody has the right for this "do it and do it now"-attitude that we constantly have to face.

And thank you for telling us when to lock and delete threads. We're successfully running this site for more than two years now but we still appreciate very much when people tell us how to do our jobs. We know that we could do so much better. But somehow our stubborness tells us to rather listen to our experience than to people who know so much better than we.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2004, 17:29:47 by DBR_ONIX »