Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Command Reference.  (Read 1121 times)

SheepOnMintSauce

Command Reference.
« on: 24 Aug 2003, 09:21:52 »
Would it be possible to alter the command reference to add a set of rules for the commands?

What I mean is that sometimes people (including myself) get confused over what syntax can be used with a command, since the decription and examples are a bit vague or not descriptive enough. With a rules section, it'd save a lot of time in finding out what you can and can't do with a command, and thereby making life a lot easier for whoever uses it.

I know that a lot of commands are used in the tutorials for different purposes, but not all. If a set of rules for each command existed then people could figure it out more easily, or be refered to a tutorial that explains all about that command and it's uses.

I'm not sure if this was the right place to post this.. but oh well.  :)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Command Reference.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2003, 09:32:35 »
We already do.   :)

Well, to some extent anyway.   The online version of the Command reference has a Comments function, and many of the commands have helpful tips that people have added.     You can find it in the Editors Depot:  there is a direct link from the left hand menu column.   It's called "Commands", under REFERENCES.

The Unofficial command reference is always a good place to turn if you need help.    It frequently has a slightly different "take" on a command from the official version, and having two explanations often make it easier to understand.   However it doesn't cover all the new commands.

There are also other versions that people have made.    They can all be found under Tutorials - References - Command references.

My final tip is to read the command ref from beginning to end, like a book.   Don't try to understand every command, just read it - including the special sections.     Similarly  the unofficial command ref.     Do it again a couple of days later.    That will help you know what's in there, which makes the individual bits easier to understand.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2003, 09:38:31 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

SheepOnMintSauce

Re:Command Reference.
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2003, 09:48:55 »
Ok, I'll check those out. Thanks.  ;D