Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Finding Nearest Enemy Unit.  (Read 5065 times)

Unnamed

Re:Finding Nearest Enemy Unit.
« Reply #30 on: 26 Aug 2003, 20:07:34 »
If you put that code in with a script does it just execute that over and over, or does it execute that while carrying on with the rest of the script at the same time?

Yes, depending on what you want to do? You could launch it as a seperate script to run in the background, as for when you want him to start and stop the anim will depend on what you want. But a basic global boolean will do the job.

Funny... I've just tried to make my own spotting device

I would have thought the role of dedicated observer's would cover more than just snipers and Indirect fire. I'm suprised there are not any addons already, I think Invansion1944 are working on a Binocular\Radio addon or at least I found an incomplete one in the demo,and SEB Nam has one, but I'm not sure if it does anything?

A terrain obstacle detector (HARD TRIGNOMETRY!)

I've been messing with the knowsabout function, does that not tell you if you have a direct line of site? I think the problem lies with understanding what the knowsabout value should be, if you can see that unit at that range e.t.c. Then doing a comparison?

I planned on using basic trigg and detectors to map out the cover arc, even if it's just a list of which sectors are visible from his current position, once he starts....err observing. OFP's scan horizon is next to useless, unless your on a flat plain.

- A looping device, wich would apply the revealing function every X+50meters along the direction the unit's facing, until the predefined distance was reached;

I've been wondering about this, that is, the best way to scan a large area. I tend to check out the horizon first then move to mid range in a Z pattern, but as time goes on it would be more on features like woods and roads e.t.c.

- HOWEVER, this script got really wierd on my 400MHz, as you may guess... I just don't recomend it because of the lag...

The trigonometry sounds like it would push a 400MHZ running OFP? Might be better on a faster machine, I would be interested in seeing if it is.

Just create several addons with new settings specified for the units, such as higher eye sensivity, ear sensivity, less camouflage and higher weapon sight range for AI. They'll look like deadly commandos (For veterans only).

The sniper with maximum skill is a pretty lousy shot over 700m, but enough to get you flustered. I was hoping to use this with my Mortar scripts.

I tried creating my own Binocular class, and failed miserably. I'm looking for a basic example of what classes I need to inherit from, to start overriding things like eye sensivity.

Forward observers are pretty innocuous: