Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: WW2 Defensive Tactics and Deployments  (Read 989 times)

TrackenHit

WW2 Defensive Tactics and Deployments
« on: 17 Aug 2003, 06:45:35 »
Ok, what I'm looking for is perhaps some good diagrams or graphics of what a WW2 defensive line would look like. Recently I have come arcross MUCH of the information for assaults, but nothing about a defending battle line.

I hope to incorporate this into some more 'realistic' scenarios of classic company sized battles in OFP.

Unnamed

Re:WW2 Defensive Tactics and Deployments
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2003, 12:09:09 »
Hi,

I have some extracts from the Handbook On U.S.S.R. Military forces, it's 22mb in total (to much for your hotmail address) but I could probably send you the relevant sections? See attached image.

I know it's probably not the correct Army but these handbooks are hard to find for free on the internet :(

Failing that you just have to plow through all those WW2 sites:

On November 23, Company I under Capt. James W. Amyx was attached to the 1st Battalion and given the mission of cleaning out the area behind the 1st Battalion. The enemy consisting of well over a hundred infantrymen, were strongly organized, well dug in and expertly camouflaged. Ten enemy machine guns gave all around interlocking bands of fire. An enemy artillery forward observer radio team were dug in within the position. Six captured American mortars gave supporting fire. German Teller mines placed shoulder high in trees were connected to ground trip wires.

The Company Commanders attack order called for three platoon echeloned to the left rear to advance on a given azimuth. Shortly after the attack jumped off the trip wires activated the Teller mines, alerting the enemy, bringing down heavy machine gun cross fire and stopping the advancing platoons.

I'm always on the look out for stuff like this, so if you find any?

« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2003, 12:15:24 by Unnamed »