Ok, how about if you are part of a squad that has been fighting in a war somewhere in a desert (because Desert Island is the ideal map for this type of mission) and something happened so that you and a handful of men have been seperated from everyone else and you do not have any radio contact. Your army thinks that you are dead, and if the enemy find you they will shoot you, so you have to try to escape and find a way to contact your base or HQ or whatever. The thing is, that to start the mission you have no clue where to go to do so. You're lost in the middle of the desert without any map, any info on where the nearest town/base is, anything at all. To make it even harder, it's the middle of the night!
There could be a lot of things included in the mission:
- Choppers/Planes flying around. If they spot you they could give away your position to enemy troops in the area and you would be engaged in a firefight.
- A script that makes your men fatigued, tired, frostbitten (it gets cold in the desert at night) etc. Your men could end up dieing from just wondering around in the desert too long or whatnot. I don't know if there are any oasis addons but there could be certain spots that if you find, you can rest/replenish your men. Also you could find food/water in towns that you would have to create using empty objects since there shouldn't be a lot of towns, otherwise it won't be that hard to find your way out of the desert.
- Enemy vehicles driving around in the desert. There could be enemy convoys driving around carrying food, water, ammo, etc. If you get a chance, you could hijack them. If you include the realism/fatigue thing then these might even be necessary to keep your men alive.
- Towns/bases. These would need to be in random places of the map. Some towns might be hostile and even garissoned by enemy troops, others might be friendly and offer to feed your tired men and let them rest or what not. Some might even have phones/radios so that you can contact your HQ and get the heck out of there.
- Sandstorms break out to impede your progress. There is an addon that has a visual of several sandstorms to use, combined with a script this could add a new twist. If you get caught in a sandstorm maybe a couple of your squad members will be killed or something, I dunno, but it could definitally add to the mission.
I just kinda came up with this idea and started typing it. I'm sure there is a lot more that can be added to make this a pretty sweet mission. And it's definitally a lot different than your basic "defend the town", "invade the city", "ambush the convoy" missions. Especially due to the fact that you have no orders, you need to find your way around the map, figure out where things are, and get out of there. There probably shouldn't be a lot of towns. Maybe somewhere between 3 and 5. They should be spread out very far and probably on the edges of the map (close to water). There should also be a few enemy military bases that will be sending out the convoys to each other and what not. Also where the troops are stationed and stuff. Maybe you could have it so the only radio accessible to the player is in one of the bases, so he has to try to sneak in, radio back to HQ, sneak out, and meet at a rondevous point to get picked up. There could be a lot of stuff to make this one sweet mission.