Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: questions of curiosity  (Read 3665 times)

gadolinite

questions of curiosity
« on: 20 Jul 2003, 07:17:35 »
What city is ofpec being run from?

Who runs ofpec?

Why does the site run very slow, or on occasion, not come up at all?
That goes for occasions when parts of the sites are slow or fail to come up.  

Can you fix this, so I do not loose anymore posting (in the forum) data?  

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:questions of curiosity
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2003, 16:51:26 »
I think this server is running from the UK but I'm not sure. The server might seem slow but remember that people who have created this site are doing it for no money and they pay everything from their own pockets. If you want to help the ppl behind this site you can donate if you want.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2003, 18:49:51 »
As I understand it,

The server is located at sweden and is run by HuBBa with the little money from donations helping him to strech the penny.
The server is using some technical stuff that limits the bandwidth during peak hours (the times when ofpec is visited the most amount of users at the same time). This arrangement has to be like this so that the server won't come overcrowded and get down on it's knees (and maybe reboot too  ;D).

What comes to the fixing part, I think HuBBa and especially the staff would be the ones who would most want a bigger pipe for the server. However, the donations grately appreciated just aren't big enough all in all which it would take to upgrade the hardware or get a better pipe or something  :-\
Not all is lost.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2003, 11:13:41 »
HuBBa runs the server.       snYpir (an Aussie currently on holiday in France) is the lead Admin and runs the front end.     There are a couple of dozen other volunteers who help out in various ways.    We're always looking for more people, particularly ones who actually do stuff once they are on the staff.  There is a staff listing here.

The site was created a couple of years ago by Tigershark and some other people.      We're entirely independent and we have a very good relationship with BIS.

What Artak said is right, as far as I know.   The problem with bandwidth is that this such a popular site we are on the cusp of being commercial-sized, and to get hosting for that is MUCH more expensive and we wouldn't be able to afford it without doing something unacceptable like charging people or having advertising.    
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2003, 11:22:45 »
snYpir is in france ? :wow: kool ;D

how do u know ? ;D

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2003, 11:40:52 »
Is the server in Sweden? :o :o :o Cooooooooooooooooooool! I want my benefits right now!!! :P 8) ;D

I'm going to donate as soon as I get an bank acount, or do u have to have a credit card? Cause then it's gonna take a while ;D

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2003, 18:49:25 »
snYpir is in france ? :wow: kool ;D

how do u know ? ;D

LCD OUT

heheheheheheheheheheh   ;D ;D ;D sometimes you forget that I know EVERYTHING*   ::)

He's there for long holiday with his g/f.  8)

*except ofp syntax
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2003, 18:50:31 by macguba »

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2003, 19:03:32 »
heheheheheheheheheheh   ;D ;D ;D sometimes you forget that I know EVERYTHING*   ::)

He's there for long holiday with his g/f.  8)

*except ofp syntax

nah u donno everythin :P

u dont know how 2 laugh right ::)

it shud b

MUHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHA

:moon:

now wats ur secret ::) u follow da OFPEC staff ? in case u wil want 2 kil som1 nd get into his boots ?  :-X :o

did he tel u ? or he jsut wrote it wen i was lookin da oder way ? ::)

wen hes comin back

LCD OUT

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2003, 19:40:55 »
well.... technically the concept of OFPEC was created by lustypooh with the help of Tigershark.... lusty basically ditched us and tigershark saved the site and ran it and the forums on his own server (concept-5) - the site then moved to its own server (ofpeditingcentre.com) and ran there for a while... then tiger reitred from running the site and wolfsbane took over and the site was moved to its current server with Hubba - now snYpir is in charge (good call)

as for bandwidth limitations... this is also in place because if ofpec goes over its quota on bandwidth, then Hubba has to pay more money to the ISP (well, something like that)

and as always... do do do do do do donate  ;D
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2003, 21:57:03 »
He told me.   :P   We staffers do actually communicate.    I know all kinds of secrets  :o about  ..... no, wait, that's the only one.  ::)   He's back mid-August I think.      

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2003, 22:00:09 »
I've been in france myself. Me and my family stormed Omaha Beach ourselves. With less germans of course... ;D

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2003, 23:04:06 »
He told me.   :P   We staffers do actually communicate.    I know all kinds of secrets  :o about  ..... no, wait, that's the only one.  ::)   He's back mid-August I think.      

w00t  :o :wow:

i didnt even know staff members know how 2 speak ::) was thinkin u were all (forgot wats dat called in english ::) so ill go 4...) turtles ::) :P

chosen 4 ur ability not 2 talk nythin dat is not OFP ::) :moon:

wat was dat oder secret u was thinkin bout ? wanna know :P

LCD OUT

gadolinite

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2003, 01:51:53 »
I've been in france myself. Me and my family stormed Omaha Beach ourselves. With less germans of course... ;D

very funny, we should try and get bill gates to give us a donation.  First he should know about Flashpoint, the game with the most powerful mission editing tool ever.

Tigershark

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2003, 06:07:18 »
well.... technically the concept of OFPEC was created by lustypooh with the help of Tigershark.... lusty basically ditched us and tigershark saved the site and ran it and the forums on his own server (concept-5) - the site then moved to its own server (ofpeditingcentre.com) and ran there for a while... then tiger reitred from running the site and wolfsbane took over and the site was moved to its current server with Hubba - now snYpir is in charge (good call)

as for bandwidth limitations... this is also in place because if ofpec goes over its quota on bandwidth, then Hubba has to pay more money to the ISP (well, something like that)

and as always... do do do do do do donate  ;D

Mmmm...that's pretty much the abridged history of it...nice one Messy.....and being the one who started this I can personally attest to how much money it can consume. When I started and ran this site for a little over 1.5 years, it cost me approx 1500USD of my own money. Then we accepted donations and the community gratiously helped recoup some of the costs.

It was a touching show of support and reinvigorated my faith in the site and the community.....so I beseech you all...to donate if you can. I'm sure Hubba would appreciate it as much as I did :-)

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2003, 15:42:18 »
hehehe Tiger... well, i'm one of the few remaining geezers who have seen every incarnation of ofpec and its history... concept-5... hehehe, those were indeed the days  :D

to think... its been over 2 years... and i'm still here - and, yes, they have tried to get rid of me on a number of occasions  ::)
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2003, 15:44:25 by Messiah »
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion