Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: a question about lag and the scripting pause  (Read 343 times)

borrowed soap

a question about lag and the scripting pause
« on: 07 Jul 2003, 14:16:16 »
??does the following :

~1

placed within a script DECREASE lag or STAY the SAME, for example when compared to a trigger (that always has a polling interval of 0.5 seconds).
in other words, if i have a choice between a trigger that checks for a globalVariable every 0.5 seconds, is it better (less lag performance) to run a script that looks for the globalVariable, with a polling interval of   ~1    second (effectively looking for the var only at half the rate of a trigger).

??so does the   ~<number>    command in a script still use the same amount of cpu power as when the script is doing something?
in other words, if a script has to command a unit to move somewhere, then wait, does the cpu expend the same amount of time/energy/resources on waiting as it would a command?

MAINLY what i am doing is using scripts instead of triggers to determine stuff, because i dont need the cpu to look every 0.5 seconds, sometimes more like once every 5 minutes, etc.  
but i am also encountering lots of other scripts that require pauses, sometimes long ones, and im wondering if this is helping the lag issue or creating more of one.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2003, 14:26:21 by borrowed soap »

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
Re:a question about lag and the scripting pause
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2003, 15:53:30 »
as much as we know (im aint sure cuz i didnt ask ny BIS probgramer bout it ;)) - it shud have less lag wen u use delayz ;D

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

borrowed soap

Re:a question about lag and the scripting pause
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2003, 16:10:43 »
thx gain m8, i say again 'u da man' (i was hopin u would get this  ;-) )