Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Locked Topics  (Read 2543 times)

Platoon_Leader

Locked Topics
« on: 22 Jun 2003, 18:34:54 »
Instead of locking topics posted in the wrong forum why not just move them.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:Locked Topics
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2003, 21:25:49 »
Well, sometimes locking is the only option when there is no category to move the topic to. I.E. OFPEC has no 'random topics category', so everything that's not related to editing or praising OFPEC gets locked naturally  :)
Not all is lost.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2003, 22:45:02 »
^^^ What he said ^^^

;)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Shaggy

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2003, 18:32:41 »
OFPEC should have a junk thread.. misc thread to solve this then.

Otherwise, if i was a MOD/admin or part of staff. I would consider this topic locked.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2003, 23:50:00 »
hmmm... yeah, GREAT idea  ::)

(sarcasm) - if i had a £1 for every time this was suggested, and then quickly shot in the head by Sefe or Noon, i'd, well... have some money  ;)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Tim Pink

• ECP Team &
  • Former Staff
  • "Down with a bang and that'll be the end"
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2003, 23:53:40 »
hi

im glad you locked my topic on "not enough american vehicles".

why did a small hamless topic turn into a bloody all out political throwing match.

it was like a day at parlament house in australia(where im form)

thanx ??? ??? ???
Tim(shakes his head in disbelief)
"Whoever said nothing is impossible, never tried slamming a revolving door."

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2003, 00:55:52 »
Otherwise, if i was a MOD/admin or part of staff. I would consider this topic locked.
The idea of an 'Off-topic' board has been suggested more times than I can recall, and each time the answer has been a well-justified "No".

Why? All you need do is look around a forum that has one, and witness the pointless flame wars that spill out of the 'Off-Topic' area into the other forum boards.

We've done off-topic in the past (POLWAR, for those that remember it) and it was a disaster in respect to keep the forums a tidy, happy and constructive place.

Flame wars have no place in OFPEC, and 'Off-Topic' boards are the breeding ground of flamers...

hi
im glad you locked my topic on "not enough american vehicles".
why did a small hamless topic turn into a bloody all out political throwing match.
it was like a day at parlament house in australia(where im form)
thanx ??? ??? ???
Tim(shakes his head in disbelief)
We used to have a 'Politics & Warfare' board, but we (wisely) closed that after it proved to be more trouble than it was ever worth...

Unfortunatey in todays environment, it doesn't take much at all to spark a flame-war. From there, all it takes is just one person to continually not heed a Staff members warning, and it falls apart right there and has to be locked down.

hmmm... yeah, GREAT idea  ::)

(sarcasm) - if i had a £1 for every time this was suggested, and then quickly shot in the head by Sefe or Noon, i'd, well... have some money  ;)
What makes you think Sefe & I wouldn't extort that profit out of you?
Sefe's got the legal know-how to make the threat work, and I've got the ..... errr ...... cookies. ;D
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2003, 01:52:01 »

There's nothing to solve there. That we use to lock of topic threads is a deliberate decision, not a problem we have. A thread like the proposed would be counter productive.

And to come back to the initial question, a thread will be moved whenever possible. But (as it has been said before in this thread), if there is no board in the OFPEC that can accomodate the question, there is no alternative to locking it. If we have locked one of your threads, you can be sure that it's nothing personal. A clear definition of what's on topic and what's off topic has been there since this site exists. You can be sure that we won't treat you different than anyone else.

If you feel that you have been treated unfair, contact the moderator in question, a global moderator or me.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2003, 01:55:36 by Sefe »

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2003, 02:37:41 »
hmm...is it just me or do I see a request for a off-topic or other useless boards like...2-3 times a month :P hmm...they just pop up everywere...maybe you should put somewere with veeeeeery big, fat letters "No, we will not make a off-topic board!" :P :o

Garcia

Platoon_Leader

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2003, 14:14:51 »
Well, sometimes locking is the only option when there is no category to move the topic to. I.E. OFPEC has no 'random topics category', so everything that's not related to editing or praising OFPEC gets locked naturally

Who ever locked the topic stated that it was posted in the wrong forum and which forum it should have most likely be posted, instead of moving it he just locked it, to me it would have made sense to move it to the correct forum, but it seems that prefer just to lock topics and act like gods.

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=10627

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2003, 14:45:15 »
Platoon Leader,

Black Feather acted appropriately and there is no question at all in my mind that he did the right thing.

Your thread was an announcement (or advertisment), which we do not allow on our forums. The comment Black Feather made was referring to the fact that if it hadn't of been off topic, your thread would be moved to MP editing.

We've created a specific area for announcements and news items. Try the Intelligence Depot to get your message out to the community ;)

If your thread hadn't have been locked by a local mod, I would have locked it. The rules were followed to the letter here...

If you wish to discuss this matter further, please contact either Black Feather, a global mod (like myself) or the big boss, Sefe, via IM and we'll talk further on it.

This thread has also run it's course...

# Topic Locked

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2003, 18:55:01 »
And those requests should be sent via personal message, not publicly in the forum. That's what I meant when I said "contact a moderator".