Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Not enough american vehicle addons  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Tim Pink

• ECP Team &
  • Former Staff
  • "Down with a bang and that'll be the end"
Not enough american vehicle addons
« on: 21 Jun 2003, 07:28:55 »
Hi

im just here to raise a topic, why is there such a lack off american vehicles?

i mean well we have the Hmmwv's with the machine guns that are being producead and the TOW AAV that was just released but there just aren't enough American vehicle addons

BAS released brilliant helo's and units but i have to ask were the tanks and 6X6 vehicles are?

eg The Stingray Light Tank by Textron Marine and Land Systems
The ASV 150(4X4)and the LAV 150(4X4) vehilcles
The Dragoon Amoured Vehicle(4X4)
The LAV-300 AFV(6x6)

It just seems a bit sad that there are all these brilliant addon makers doing products for BAS, Red Hammer Studios and Project Uk Forces but no one is really hiting hard in to the American addons

Please, im not having a go at the ofp community because there are some really brilliant addons but making missions(which is my preffered specialty) with all these wonderful new Units, Tanks and APC's for the Russian side is a bit let down when there are no great addons to put in for the Americans.

Thank you and i would really love some feed back

P.S Just reaserrting that this letter is not meant to take a swipe at anyone or anything but just to suggest something that i beleive needs to b done  
"Whoever said nothing is impossible, never tried slamming a revolving door."

bigdog632

Re:Not enough american vehicle addons
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2003, 09:41:51 »
id rather see more improved east man units than vehicles

but i wish i could find a pic of this flyer 21 thingy i saw on mail call(love r lee ermy)
6 wheels i believe spec ops vehicle

p00_p00

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2003, 10:45:23 »
I must argue against

Their are more than enough American addons and actually not enough East units.

Ok we have the several Nam mods around + WWII mods (in which the Americans have been portrayed the most, even though most of the war was fought by the Brittish), then we have BAS which are making mainly American addons such as their excellent Delta Force n Ranger unit as well as their Choppers. DKM make mainly American choppers such as the Comanche, however are working on the Russian Havoc. Then we have a lot of Brittish packs, as well as the numerous European nations such as Norway, Polish, Finnish etc to name a few.

Then we have a few "studios" making ONLY eastern addons such as Red Hammer, and then we have Sig who has redone most of the Russian tanks.

Now what are we REALLY missing - in regards to war going nations?

Firstly China is emerging as the US' because threat in regards to economical and millitary might. I only see the Taiwan workshop who are making a few Chinese addons. Also I must comend Sig for his Excellent modeling on the Type 98 Chinese MBT. Very accurate aestheticly, but lacks in scripting and special features such as the laser gun on top (which I dont think is that hard to do since BAS has been able to make backwash which blinds people who are underneath their Chinook who dont have goggles.
Oh in the topic of Asia, we could also add Nth Korea, who have a considerably powerful army.

Secondly Israel is a very powerful country in the Middle East and has been in many major conflicts (well in their area), and have a vast assortment of locally produced warez which would make good addons for people who wish to recreate Middle Eastern Battles.

Thirdly African nations have been almost totally disregard besides the few militia units to recreate Black Hawk Down scenes. However Afriacan maps would be the most interesting, especially in areas like Congo. Maps in which a small group of UN peacekeepers face off against hundreds of armed militia.

All in all, in regards to the original topic of USA v Russian units. The US has had numerous aircraft created, most notably the Comanche, McDonald Douglas Little Birds (think its the OH-6 or something) as well as retextured Black Hawks, CHinooks etc. Then their are all the jets. With the F1-11 on the way as well as the F-15,F-16,F1-17 and the F-18's around as well as the Harrier, the US airpower have been recreated numerously. How many Soviet/Russian aircraft do you see being made? I can only recall the Havok, as well as VITs Mig-29 Fulcrum.

p00_p00

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2003, 10:52:38 »
oN THE topic of Viechles

The Americans dont generally use that many viechles besides the M1A1/2 and the Bradleys. But their are a few Gulf War units around like the MRLS and a M113 Hellfire Launcher.

Theirs the Sheridan tank as well as some others which I dont really recall the names which are used in the past

Bottom line is the US dont use many tanks (the M60's already out of service), but the Russians have many tank designs and many are still in use like the T-64, T-72, T-80, T-90 and their have been prototypes of other tanks like the Black Eagle, but the Americans havnt released anything recently and that dosnt give modders much to work with.

The Viechles you mentioned are less obvious as they are not really deployed as much as their other viechles. But I suppose it would be nice to try some other Yank machinery.

p00_p00

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2003, 11:06:06 »
oN THE topic of Viechles
Theirs the Sheridan tank as well as some others which I dont really recall the names which are used in the past.

My bad

I meant 2 say the M26 Perishing Tank

Not the M56 Sheridan Tank

But i think the Sheridan will be made......

swift88

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2003, 11:18:32 »
can i just say that these units are in the process of being built. Operation gulf war crisis are building numerous vehicles like the M73 fox the HMMWV pack, the 6X6 LAV the AAVP,  quite a few iraq units in olive and desert cammo  (which could be used for operations like the russians invading afganistan). IF there would be a complaint on any lack of units, it would have to be the lack of the british units. because the uk forces even though they are not seem to be dead in there constrution of units at this moment in time..................  :-\

BUT as other MODS, these will only be released when quakergamer fells they should be released (MOD 1.0-not yet avalible)
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2003, 11:21:58 by swift88 »

Offline Tim Pink

• ECP Team &
  • Former Staff
  • "Down with a bang and that'll be the end"
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2003, 12:26:19 »
hi

well i sure got the debate rolling didnt i

you raise a good point poo_poo, we do have a lot of nam and ww2 addons
but can u really point out any really good modern day(i mean 2day) vehicles for the Americans apart from the abrams(which has been retextured to death) and the HMMWV with machine guns

And yes Ballistic Addon Studios make the best addons available, but like you said they make choppers and units, not amoured and wheeled vehicles

i would just like to see some more American vehicles preferably in that stabdard
BIS camo(like the official HMMWV)

Thanx

p.s those pics look good swift88, r u gonna release the vehicles in a normal green black and brown camo?

"Whoever said nothing is impossible, never tried slamming a revolving door."

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2003, 13:32:03 »
@ p00 :wow: lots of ideas ;D ;)

yeah i feel dat dere r 2 meny westren addons vs not enough eastren (as east player ;D ;) - AK 4 ever)

Secondly Israel is a very powerful country in the Middle East and has been in many major conflicts (well in their area), and have a vast assortment of locally produced warez which would make good addons for people who wish to recreate Middle Eastern Battles.

i want som israel (n ME generaly) 2 ;D wanna shot em

@ pinky - m not military expernt (n not freak or nythin else ;D :P m in OFP cuz of da scriptin - i dint even know da difrence between rangers n deltes :wow: J/K) but as much as i know in modern day battles da U.S use mainly only spec ops nd air units (nd lil of all da oders)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

swift88

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2003, 13:50:03 »
they are not my addons so im not sure but these are the hmmwvs by GalcomT (ive only just joined the mod so ive only just started building a warrior fv and fv432)

calm_terror

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2003, 17:47:16 »
actual alotof those units  do get deployed but by the marines.
but there needs to be the stryker.
btw NO MORE PLANES.
planes are near useless. they are hard to fly and the AI is a moron.
and quit making add ons some oen else made.
there is liek 20 ranger and delta mods. it is over kill.
and when makign a add on DO NOT use weapons or units from another add on..
i hated that i am forced to have units form add ons i never use jsut to have soem vechicel that i wanted..
yes more american american vechicals, and chinese and N.Korean units.
we need a few more camo scemes for the brit tanks, and needs soem brit APC's..
and more camo scemes for russian, US, UK units.
and i am sorry but no more Swiss units or swedish. when was the last time alot of these
nertueal countries actual fought a battle?
and no more WW2 mods.. there is alreayd enuff games out there for WW2..
i would liek to see more units liek those current conflic army and marines. but in 3 camo scemes.
along with their vechicals.
oh and if soemone wanted to be cool make an sub add on for every division in the army and Marines.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2003, 20:58:13 »
Look, not everyone in the OFP community is an American, and nobody has the right to say what addon makers can or can't make. If someone wants to make WWI Turkish troops, fair enough, it's their time, and you don't have to download them. I don't particularly want to play with US vehicles, so I don't download them. I do, however, want to play with other nations' kit, such as the Finnish Defence Force (excellent mod), Swiss troops, French troops or Australian troops, just out of curiosity, so I tend to download that kind of stuff and bin it if I don't like it. It's the diversity of the OFP community that impresses me, but it's this "no more WWII addons, more US addons" mentality that depresses me.

There, rant over. No offence to anybody, okay?

Kaliyuga

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2003, 21:30:11 »
 As far as the whole US vs. East issue goes...   I have always felt that the East side had alot less  BIS made goods from the get go.  When Res came out the East was pretty much neglected again. Except for a  kinda nice new chopper, which is only worth playing if you have Evis' versions.

So as someone who solely makes addons for the East side of the game, I'd have to say that when I did start making addons, apart from certain campaign considerations, That lack of East units is what motivated me to spend my time making the stuff we are.  I've been really happy to see that alot of quality addons were being made for the East lately and I'm sure things will balance themselves out in the long run.

and as far as the addon making "rules" there ::)

Kooky hit it right on the head...   if you don't like it .. don't download it.
and if you really want something bad enough... learn how to make it...  all the tools are available and tutorials.

You have to figure that most Mods that are making addons are going to be making campaigns as well with all those nice addons. So they already know for the most part what addons they're going to use. Or at least they should have a good idea already.  so just asking for something to be made usually isn't gonna get it done.

jamie_psx

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2003, 00:03:47 »

p.s those pics look good swift88, r u gonna release the vehicles in a normal green black and brown camo?

Don't get your hopes up, dude.
Like I said before, Operation Gulf War Crisis Mod is a friggin' museum.
You can look but ya can't touch. (Kinda like a flirt - she shows but she ain't sellin').

We'll be lucky if they release anything by 2004.
Until then, if piccies alone are what get you going, kudos to you.

As for me I've stopped visiting that site on a regular basis.
I just go there sometimes to see what addons I'll NOT be able to play with.

swift88

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2003, 00:14:34 »
can i say in the defence of operation gulf war crisis thta the mod will b realeased, but it will be big!!!!!!! im currently working on a warrior fv, and will have a word with the manager about sorting the release date
swift out

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2003, 01:23:16 »
Be careful guys.

Locking a thread is very easily done and the way this is heading...
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"