Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Surpirse  (Read 1751 times)

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
Surpirse
« on: 16 Jun 2003, 16:48:12 »
There have been a lot of missions ade that start slowly, in an attempt to make you think nothing is going to happen... But this never works. I want to be able to convincethe player that nothing is going to happen.
All I cvan think is to convince the player NOT MUCH is going to happen. For example, I had an idea for a mission in which a patrol boat is hit by a small enemy patrol and you have to find survivors. When swimming units have been created properly I will make this.. but I want to convince the player of TOTAL safety.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:Surpirse
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2003, 17:22:03 »
I donÂ't hink there will be any swimmin units, at least not i OFP 1. Anyway, itÂ's VERY hard to convince the player that heÂ's safe. Espacially not when every1 is carryin around with M16s cause then u know thereÂ's gonna be a fight. However, the player doesnÂ't know how itÂ's gonna be a fight. For example in the begin of the 1985 campaign where the liutenents jeep is bein blown to pieces. U donÂ't know that. Another way of trick the player is to use unknown stuff in the middle of the mission, like t-80s closing on the players pos and so on and so forth.

Iwesshome

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2003, 17:24:43 »
How about the CoC addons.... didn't they make swimmers?

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2003, 17:29:29 »
Dunno, I just checked the CoC really fast untill I got bored of it. Was cool and stuff but not my style. And there were some kinda swimmin script idea at the scriptin: ideas I think.

Naruto

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2003, 20:55:54 »
CoC has swimmers!
You just put them in water and they swim lol...

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2003, 22:56:30 »
hmm.... the thing is... when u play a mission.. if there is no action, then every1 expects an ambush etc... if there is any lull in the game play will make people expect - a savegame will make people expect...

no mission (that wants a score higher than 5?) will have no action or attempt of action... so its hard to make people believe it... maybe make the ambsuh different... have titletext of your squad mates talking so the player is busy reading that, and a big explosion will really scare the crap outa him...

there are little things u can do... but most people will expect an ambush - always be prepared it seems  :D
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2003, 23:48:59 »
I just played DVCÂ's camp (check in mission depot) and on the forth mission I didnÂ't find the guy u had to talk to so I stood there, 1 hour playtime just staring at the forest. And "imadgined" there were russians out there. It wasnÂ't fun but when the action finally come I almost ate my own teeth of excitment. :gunman:

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2003, 00:23:56 »
mebe u can try (huge) mistakes in intel - asmuch as i remember usualy in OFP da intel is almost 100% corect - so it wil b most suprisin if da intel wil b somtimes wrong n somtimes correct (if its alwayz wrong da player wil get used 2 it ;))

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2003, 01:21:10 »
yes.... indeed.... create a detailed intel report... backed up with cutscenes etc... like a highly defended town....

player reaches town... no1 is home... but guess what! LOL... the ruskies have pulled a quick one and out flanked the player and storm in from all sides - now the player has to defend  ::)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

bigdog632

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2003, 08:00:14 »
hmmm in that scenario i hope it is players not player

or else the player is the T800

asmodeus

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2003, 15:18:07 »
lol

Try my beta mission Killing Fields..  As most of the 'nam war went, the mission does not go as planned whatsoever.   ;)

It's good that people are trying to use that element of surprise.  If done properly it can be a very fun thing in OFP!   :)   8)

Asmo

Offline CrashDome

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2003, 21:14:14 »
I think this idea of surprise coincides alot with the randomness of a mission.

Anything that is random: i.e. # of enemy, # of friendly, location, etc...
then your element of surprise increases exponentially.

I like to add small amounts of wandering units to a map (friendly and enemy)
It's interesting to travel and run across various units never knowing if they are friend, neutral, or foe. To add further surprise I like to add random reinforcements to objectives.

I had a script - I should dig it up - that took one unit placed on the map and filled his squad with random # of guys and unit types.

Anyway, to keep topic on track: Random events = surprise!

Panzeh

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2003, 22:16:36 »
CoC mission 6 has a surprise that's very well done.  In the middle of the mission some BMPs swim off the coast and drive toward st. pierre and you frantically have to recall units south to hold this.

Phantom

« Reply #13 on: 05 Jul 2003, 12:25:46 »
like messiah started on, misdirection, remember when you have to go help the captain at the start of the original campaign? say something like that comes over the radio, then everyone's running towards their APC, and someone calls in going we've got it, so there's a let down, even if your expecting combat, then BOOM!!! the APC blows the fuck up, then any other vehicles in the vicinity, and then a sniper takes out the highest ranked person there, then your all hunkered down retreating into the forest until reinforcements come up behind you