Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFP deletes your files?  (Read 1482 times)

Ball Zack

OFP deletes your files?
« on: 13 Jun 2003, 02:20:55 »
Recently I turned on my CPU and found out that one of my hard drive partitions had been completely wiped out.  I couldn't figure out if I had downloaded a virus, or if someone had hacked into my CPU or what.  Then today I read a note from Marek Spanel that there is a serious error with OFPR 1.75 up that can remove all the files on your partition...  No sh*t it's a serious error.  Thanks a lot BIS....  Thanks for the insanity.  Thanks for deleting all my files...  Fix the problem NOW and release a patch, or mail me a refund check.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Why the hell would a video game delete all your files?  Did one of your programers put a virus in the game?  You guys have a lot of explaining to do...  It better not happen again, or my next complaint might mention a lawsuite...   >:(

Ball Zack

Re:OFP deletes your files?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2003, 02:23:59 »
Oh and by the way I haven't played OFP on-line (internet or LAN) for months, so your theory about DirectPlay, or firewall issues being the culprit doesn't sound correct.

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2003, 02:56:37 »
Ball Zack,

I can understand your anger, and sympathise with your situation (if I got my HDD wiped I would be bloody spewing).

However, I think you fail to realise that this site is in no way associated with BIS, and had absolutely NO input into the coding of the original game.

Kindly point your anger in another direction, as you've got your facts a bit mixed up and we are not to blame ;)

I'm sure for an error as critical as this, they are working day and night to fix the problem... give them a bit of time.

By the way, welcome to our forums :)
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2003, 02:59:29 by Sui »

Ball Zack

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2003, 03:10:17 »
I'm sorry; my message was for BIS and Codemasters not OFPEC.  Unfortunately I couldn't find a better topic area to vent my frustration.  You guys should add an offtopic, or general area.  Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2003, 03:11:29 by Ball Zack »

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2003, 03:15:03 »
We are a dedicated OFP editing site, so have no need of an off topic (or bollocks spam ;D) section...

May I give you some advice?

If you really want BIS to listen, you'll need to calm down and stop threatening absurdities like legal action... otherwise they'll just put your message in the 'nutter' pile and move on ;)

Also, it might help to contact them through their site, rather than running around all the sites on the internet hoping that by some remote chance they might be visiting that one... ::)

Anyway, good luck to you. I hope you can manage to retreive anything important that you lost...

Wires

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2003, 03:29:29 »
This problem may explain the mysterious disappearance of windows from 2 of my computers - the partitions simply were no longer accessable. I have good virus protection and all. The funny thing is OFP was on the other partition and reinstalling windows XP fixed the problem, all working again but there was absolutely no reason for the XP partition to go in the first place. The problem may be much more serious than BIS think....

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2003, 03:51:50 »
Please guys, pass your feedback to BIS only.

Posting it here doesn't help BIS find out more details on the issue, and hence only hinders their ability to resolve the issue.

*Locked*
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Tigershark

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2003, 06:35:16 »
I must admit when I read this news item I thought to myself?

I mean....how does a game do that by accident?? One of the more interesting bugs I've seen in my time. That and the urinal tract bug I once had...but thats a different story  ;D